Skip to content

Quite Quick quiz question

edited May 2023 in Football

No not how many words beginning with Q can you get in a thread title....

Simple question : Can you name the club/(s?) that have reached BOTH FA cup and League cup semi finals while playing in the third tier (not in the same season) ?

Comments

• I'm going to say Plymouth because I know they reached the cup semi final in '84 plus it's you asking the question (no idea about their league cup record)

In fact, their FA Cup semi was against Watford! The Dev Classico

• A very high proportion of your posts seem to be unnecessarily aggressive @eric_plant . I hope you are OK.

Plymouth did achieve this feat - reaching the LC semi in 74 (lost to Man City) and FA Cup semi in 84 (lost to Watford)

Anyone else?

• I was going for light-hearted and jovial

• Chesterfield?

• Chesterfield have not gone beyond Rd4 in the League Cup

• Millwall?

• Millwall have never gone beyond the QF in the league cup (and on each occasion were then in the second tier)

• The only other one I can think it might be - and I don't know where this has come from - is Stoke...

• No

Stoke won the League Cup in 1972 (and reached the SF of the FA cup in same year) but were a top flight team at the time. They have never reached LC semi final otherwise.

• Sheffield United?

• Middlesbrough?

• Middlesbrough is not correct. They have only been in Tier 3 for a couple of seasons and didn't reach either Semi final in those seasons.

Sheffield United is though a correct answer. They reached the FA cup semi in 2014 and the League Cup in 2015 while in the third tier. They also won the FLT in each season.

Two correct answers so far - Plymouth and Sheffield United. There is one more.

• Swindon ?

• Swindon is an interesting answer. They did win the LC as a tier three side in 1969.

They reached the FA cup semi final twice pre WW1 but as a non-league side.

• I will reveal the remaining correct answer at 2pm if not got before then.

• Rotherham

• No not Rotherham - never reached the LC semi final(and poss FA cup also)

Right time t reveal the answer not got by anyone.

The question was

Can you name the club/(s?) that have reached BOTH FA cup and League cup semi finals while playing in the third tier (not in the same season) ?

Two correct answers have been given - Sheffield United and Plymouth.

The third club that has achieved this feat is...................................................

Wycombe Wanderers.

(tbh I expected this one to be guessed first......)

• Bradford?

• Bradford were a tier 4 side when reaching the final of the LC but their only FA Cup semi appearance was as a top tier side per WW1.

No more answers to find now.

• We were in the 4th tier, when we got to the league Cup semi. Your question was 3rd tier .

• Ah so we were. Oops.

I woke up this morning wondering if we were unique reaching both cups SF as a lower league club and was I confess slightly disappointed to discover that we weren't.

• Leave the Chairboys quizzes to attending Wanderers fans

Maybe questions on Herts, and deepest Devon will enable you to be more accurate in your question asking.

• Maybe it will, Chas

Have a good day.

• thread of the year for me

• We mustn't be too critical, and noone fell into the trap. To clarrify

The Second Division was 2nd tier, pre 1992 formation of the Premier League, then it became the 3rd tier until the new First division got rebranded as the Championship in 2004 and League 2 became the 4th tier.

As @ChasHarps says we were Second Division during the FACup run in 2000/01 (3rd tier) and League 2 during the LC run in 2006/07 (4th tier).

I think I've worded that correctly...

• edited May 2023

Delighted to bring some enjoyment to your life Eric.

• Add it to the Gasroom quiz lexicon:

@ChasHarps : impossible to answer

@LX1 : forgets the answer

@DevC has the wrong answer.