Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• I just don’t think you’d go to Fleetwood if you were homesick unless you were from Fleetwood.

• Going to Fleetwood might make you feel sick, in fact

• I liked Boyes as a wing back, I did not like him as a left back. Defending needs some work. I guess the same story as KVY.

• edited January 12

Real shame, I really liked Boyes, think he will be a brilliant player in years to come at our level, if not the Championship.

I'm happy with Leahy and JJ at left back, with KVY or even Grimmer as further cover. Luca Woodhouse may also be able to play there, he was very good against Wimbledon.

• I hope we don't have to call on JJ at left-back. Love the bloke - absolute legend - but his days in that role are long gone.

• I feel like (no research done) you've said that for a few seasons now and each season he plays there and does a sterling job. On the law of averages I suppose you may get it right one season 😋 perhaps this maybe the one!

• But I hope he plays enough to give us one more corner goal special. It's been almost four years!

• Where was JJ playing in the Bristol Motors thingy?

• Whilst I was very critical of Boyes in his first few games, especially the opening day, he did improve from there onward. Despite improving his own form, the team’s form worsened with him in the side and we’ve now ditched the wing back roles and look better for it. Boyes hasn’t suited a back four. I’m pleased Matt has been bold and chosen to let him go. It also signals that Matt is confident on upgrading on Boyes. It’s quite telling that Boyes could only ‘downgrade’ to relegation-threatened Fleetwood, who appear to be in big trouble on and off the pitch. I would imagine that another left (wing) back comes in because we’d be incredibly light. We should be employing Leahy as a central midfielder next to Potts whilst Scowen is suspended. We don’t want to rely on JJ in big league games anymore. All this makes a strong case for a new left-footed arrival. The headline isn’t good news, but it’s positive if we read between the lines.

• I’d be perfectly happy with JJ at left back. He never had any pace anyway, but he makes up for it by reading the game as well as any player we’ve ever had

• We need a LB who can get up and down that flank. I'd be very surprised if someone didn't arrive on loan before deadline day.

• A bit like Sir Matt Crossley, an underrated player.

• Another vote for JJ at left back. Would never want to see him as left wing back but his positioning and intelligence means he times his tackles to perfection and rarely loses the ball. I think Wheeler has done enough to keep Leahy from central midfield and therefore JJ from the team but he's good back up if for whatever reason Leahy isn't available there.

• JJ with sufficient protection around him would be good. Leahy, Tafa and a defensive winger all in close proximity would make it more palatable. We shouldn’t forget JJ’s set piece delivery either. I miss those.

• I understand Lino Sousa is looking for a January loan move.

Matt will have seen him in August at Colney so might be an option with our Arsenal connections too.

• Kod-u-a and Lino Sousa

Go insane and out of your mind

With Kone and David Wheeler

A million and one candle lights

Blondie - Maria - YouTube

• Have to say never overly impressed by Harry Boyes. Not the best defensively and never seriously threatened in an attacking sense as stats of one assist and no goals prove. He tried his best and we can be thankful for his efforts. Might be a harsh thing to say but I don’t think he will be overly missed.

• edited January 12

That's an extremely harsh and shallow judgement of his attacking impact. He wasn't spectacular in that department but did solidly. You could level the same criticism at any of our full-backs - Boyes included, they've created 4 big chances and provided 2 assists between them all season, which points to a system which was failing more than individual deficiencies (not that assists alone is an accurate gauge of creativity, especially in a team which has struggled finish chances). Rant over.

• JJ is still an absolutely stellar left back. If he’s got Kodua or Sads or GMac playing ahead of him we don’t need him bombing forward, and whoever is playing in front of him will thrive on his passing into that channel.

• You are right. I can level that same criticism. The wing backs have been bitterly disappointing all season. Thankfully they now appear to now be dispensed with.

• Maybe surprisingly to some, I thought Boyes showed good potential as a left back in a back 4. Derby, especially, I thought he was exceptional, both in attack and defence.

It's still clear that his most natural position is as a wing back in a true 3 at the back system (which never quite materialised under Blooms with a flat back 5 often employed, whether it was intentional or not). I have no doubt he'll be able to kick on at Fleetwood if they can successfully execute a system that suits him best.

As mentioned, though, I can still see him forging a solid career as a left back too. Such versatility could go a long way.

• Boyes is 22 now. Technically he will have reached his level so mentally he needs to grow as a defender. That comes from experience. Whilst JJ’s body might have slowed his mind is worth a good deal as a defender and I trust him implicitly. Harry now needs games and hours and to get his positional play sorted. He was left too exposed in too many games. I’m not convinced he’s any better than a league 1 player but as a defender he may well prove me wrong.

• edited January 13

Boyes looked reasonably decent in a wing back system individually. But the team as a whole never looked particular special playing it.

Wing backs not getting in the other half very often was a frequent moan on here.

Will be interesting if Blooms moves for another left back or we go with Leahy, JJ and KVY.

Happy enough to see JJ get games in what has to be his last season with us, probably before retirement .

• I think we need a new left back now. Leahy should be playing in midfield, I'm not convinced by KVY on the left or the right, and although I don't mind JJ playing there we can't rely on him all season, and I still have visions of him getting roasted towards the end of last season.

• Do you reach your finality in terms of technical ability at merely 22? I certainly disagree.

• I thought Boyes was fine but was in a struggling team. I'm not convinced a left wing back can't also play left back myself. I still rate JJ as a defensive left back even if he cannot bomb up the field anymore and worry about Leahy (fine as he is as LB) missing from midfield. But on the whole if LL at left back gets us to the playoffs, I can live with it.

• James Vardy didn't start playing League football until he was 25, so clearly no for many players.

• Full-backs tend to peak a bit earlier, but Boyes is still a few years off that

• Why do full backs peak earlier? Not being funny but just wanted to understand the reason.

• Various factors, but largely because it's such a high intensity role these days. But there will always be anomalies in any position.