Skip to content
ยซ1

Comments

• I would add in there Forino's goal against PNL, for the assist from Mawson

• edited May 2023

That was pass of the season. Interestingly its not even made the clubs short list.

• I voted for Gmac's goal at Forest Green.

• Have the club done a vote?

• edited May 2023

But out of those two, narrowly Gape and I can't really explain why. Maybe just because it was less expected.

• I voted Gape too. I think its probably the accuracy of getting the ball to drop just under the crossbar from 44 yards and probably 60 yards in the air.

• Has anyone, or can anyone put together a video of Lewis Wings goals this season ? Pretty sure all of them are bangers, he doesn't score tap ins does he ?

• I think Gape's goal just. It had to be perfect to beat the keeper and also I seem to recall there being some pre planning involved? I'm sure Gape said they'd noticed the keeper tended to stray off his line. It's one thing to notice it and discuss doing that, but to then execute it perfectly during a match is quite another. Wing's goal was also magnificent mind you.

@HolmerBlue a couple of Wings goals were via deflections, but even those were great hits. I guess the winner against Bristol Rovers could be described as 'scruffy'!

• Gmac v F Green for me too.

• Voted Gape, but congratulations to the whole 2021-23 era team, as we have scored countless bangers over this two year period.

• The one from TJ's cross vs Derby was as near to a tap in as he's got for us, I think.

The whole collection is pretty extraordinary this season, isn't it. Not a vintage season, but some absolutely terrific goals.

• Josh Scowen has to win the 'doesn't score many but they're all bangers,; award.

• There's something about the way Gape hits it, it looks like he's hit it with the outside of his right foot which then stops dead like a snooker player hitting with power and extreme precision.

• edited May 2023

I wonder how often a team has scored two of these long range strikes in a season, AND conceded one?

• Still in Blighty then @Shev ? Or in nightie ? Assume the former. Hope you and yours are having a great time.

• edited May 2023

Still in England, on the Isle of Wight. Back to the states on Sunday, but it has been wonderful, not least the trip across to Portsmouth for the game!

Thanks for the kind words, @micra!

• Great stuff. Good to hear.

• edited May 2023

Looking at the clubโ€™s Goal of the Season reel, iโ€™m quickly changing my assessment of last season.

Iโ€™m going to file away the turmoil and end of season slump, and am going to remember it for the privilege of watching Anis. He single handedly won us game after game and made so much space and time for others. Everything just clicked for him this year and he became the player we all hoped he would be. L1 defenders simply couldnโ€™t cope with him. We were very blessed to have had him, and his magic will be my enduring memory of the season.

• Agree @Lloyd2084 and it's always a shame when someone in such a great run of form gets poached just to sit on a bench (albeit at a higher level, for a fee and a better salary!) Had Anis stuck around I think the loss of Vokes would have been mitigated a little bit.

• Just got round to watching the candidates...have to say rare as hen's teeth as they are...I had forgotten how good the Hanlan goal was. You see he can score.

• It really is staggering - the "shortlist" is so long simply because it HAD to be! Which of that multitude of goals could comfortably be left off a nomination list? Not one!

• Wing v Bolton is my pick. Audacious, outrageous, and yet so clinical. From that angle and just buried into the top corner. Brilliant.

• Oh, I now read he is bloody leaving.!

• As we know from our own experience of watching showreels on the World wide twittergram Wing's new employers will be expecting a lot from the off!

• There's some absolutely wonderful goals in there this season. Don't recall it ever being this hard to pick one.

• 18 goals to choose from and still some wonderful goals left out. Wing's 2nd against Peterborough, I'd have though was more worthy of inclusion than his admittedly fine free kick that is included. Wheeler's strike at Exeter was also a fine goal, but perhaps overshadowed by what was a poor team performance overall.

Also, the choices seem to focus on great strikes, but there's been some good team goals and great assists. Forino at Oxford, Mehmeti home to Peterborough, Vokes home to Peterborough would all be worthy of inclusion most seasons.

• And add to that list, Voke's goal at Sheffield Wednesday featured one of the best assists you could ever wish to see from Mehmeti!

• Any of Mehmeti's goals for me, he makes the sensational look commonplace.