Skip to content

Samaritans Score Prediction - Final Standings

edited May 2023 in Football

So another season comes to an end. Not so many years ago a position of ninth in League One would have been beyond our wildest dreams but now in truth it feels a little anti-climatic. Ho hum there will be another season along in a few weeks time. 

Congratulations first of all to the final correct score predictors of the season - well done @ForeverBlue and @micra - in the latter case his first correct prediction of the season enabling him to beat @MindlessDrugHoover by one......

After the record score of 120 last year by @SmiroludyBlue and a century too from @micra  this was a much more difficult season for predictions with the winning score failing to beat 50. Previous champions @SmiroludyBlue , @MindlessDrugHoover and @ForeverBlue all ended up in negative territory and special mention perhaps to @YorkExile whose season of effort and toil resulted in a total of ..... one point - a reminder perhaps that the UK's eurovision effort will air shortly. Congratulations too to @bookertease for securing last place for the second consecutive season. great consistency.

King of the correct score predictions this year was shared with six correct predictions each by @HomeGameRegular , @railwaybeth and @DevC . Well done all. 

Taking points that would have been earned if our predictions had come true, the closest to actual points earned was @Wendoverman - whose predictions totalled 68 points compared to actual 69. @DevC was three off with 72 and @HomeGameRegular five away with 74. Most of our predictions would have resulted in us leaving Plymouth far in our wake as we stormed to the title. Maybe next year.  

But the big prize is the overall prediction contest and what an exciting final day it was. With none of the top contenders predicting an away win, had we held on to either of our leads, @Forest_Blue would have stormed to glory. A late goal either way would also have given @Forest_Blue the crown and when Pompey equalised with 20 mins to go, it didn't feel beyond the realms of possibility that they would score twice more giving @MBS the title. But it was not to be.  

Comments

• In third pace this season was @Forest_Blue - a tad unlucky having lead for much of the season, he perhaps deserved the win but fell short. You do have to wonder if a seasons strife, coming so close and just having the seasons goal snatched away on the last day may be a portent for Nott'm Forest season too....

In second place was newcomer @railwaybeth - coming so close to retaining the title in female hands. Double heartbreak this season for the railway family as dad @railwaysteve also came second in the other competition but this competition at least gives Beth summer bragging rights over her dad - a situation I trust she will exploit to the maximum. I hope she will be back for another go next season

And so our winner is.............................................................................................................................................................      Meeeee @DevC . Now I think in such circumstances, decorum dictates that I must emphasise that it is not the winning but the joy of taking part that matters but if you would just give me a moment

YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skVg5FlVKS0&ab_channel=xd4l3x

GETTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

As I was saying for me it was the fun of taking part that was by far the most important thing……

But the biggest winner of course was the charity this competition funds. We may be funding just one branch of the Samaritans but the calls we are funding are just as likely to come from Thurso or Truro  or any points in between. As a rough estimate we have funded around 300 calls. I can’t pretend that all 300 will have been productive – some will have been regular callers going over the same ground but not really moving forward, some will have featured callers so detached from reality that they make Johnson’s Partygate excuses seem credible (but it was their reality) , some will have featured lonely men perhaps trapped by physical prison walls or just as forbidding virtual prison walls in their mind seeking a female voice to help them secure relief in a way the service really wasn’t designed for. But for many callers, their call made a difference, a chance to rationalise their thoughts and work out a better path. For a small number, perhaps just one or two, the call you funded helped them choose life over death. And for an even smaller number, perhaps statistically unlikely to be represented in our calls the chance to not be alone and virtually hold hands with a fellow human being as unconsciousness and beyond relieves them from their pain. None of those calls would have been possible without you and your donation. Thank you. 

Few of us of course will we lucky enough  to go through life without suffering pain. If you are suffering now and think it might help you talk things through with a calm, non judgemental stranger you won’t have to meet up with again a few days later, maybe try giving the Samaritans a call or 116123  or email on [email protected]. If anyone is motivated to fund a few more calls, you would be very welcome at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/gasroomfundraising

So that’s all folks. I hope you enjoyed predicting the season’s ups and downs. All being well, we’ll be back again to do it all again next season. Have a great summer

Dev

p.s. did I mention, I won!!!!

(twat ed.)    

• Thanks for putting it all together. It was a lot of fun but I’m not sure I could stand the stress of another season predicting!

• I assume I'm relegated?

• Thanks @DevC really enjoyed taking part. And a very worthy cause too.

oh, congratulations to you

• Congratulations to our wonderful host @DevC on his success. That's a very earned top spot in my opinion. Still tho, I think if our dear friends in Ipswich can be happy with second place then so will I be xD I had a lot of fun guessing and I will for sure be back next year. In the meantime , I'll just have to see if I can persuade my dad to play fantasy cricket with me..

• Thanks for organising this @DevC, it's been great fun, and congratulations on your win.

Mid table (mediocrity) was exactly the target I had set for myself at the start - so I'm claiming it as a personal success.

Other interpretations are possible, 🤔!

• well done @DevC - enjoyable as well very and a very good cause so thank you very much and congratulations on your win.

I finish mid table but have the backing of the board and expect to strengthen in the off-season. I will also have improved toileting and so can offer an unrivalled prediction day experience.

• Thank you @DevC. Congratulations for the win and take a bow for organising the competition, it provided me with loads of fun and credit to you for organising it as a charity competition.

I am trusting that next season our team lives up to my wildly optimistic predictions!

• Cheers Dev. I take my lowly position as a victory since I usually predict a defeat, so guess we've done okay this season. Look forward to finishing Rock bottom next time as we cruise to the title.

• Well done @DevC, both for organising the competition and for your mystic Meg level of prescience in making so many correct predictions. My approach this season (until the Portsmouth game) has been to predict slightly unlikely scores in the hope of stealing a march on the 2-1 fraternity. It didn’t work and changes will be made for next season.

I may take a leaf out of @LX1’s book. His solid defence of nil nil doesn’t appear to have done him any harm.

Finally @DevC, I admired your diplomacy in selecting @MindlessDrugHoover rather than our worthy Gasroom host as someone who had one less correct score than I did !

Thanks for all your efforts.

• Thanks for running this great competition again @DevC and it’s brilliant we’ve supported such a worthy cause.

• edited May 2023

Thanks @DevC a brilliant end to the season with both you and @railwaybeth predicting a draw on the final day of the season to overtake me. Congratulations to you.

My pessimism in predicting a wycombe defeat was my undoing at the last.

On to next season…we hope!

• "Respect the point" - Matt Bloomfield, 4/3/23.

• Thanks @DevC - I think for next season I might have to tone down my optimism a notch or two

• I didn't predict for a chunk of the season so obviously via PPG I would have been at the summit. 😁

Thanks for this DevC

• Very belated 'Thank You' @DevC for running this competition and raising a good amount of money for the Samaritans!

Huge congratulations with your win this year too! So understated with the announcement 😄 But seriously, well done and well deserved having organised the competition.

Really enjoyed taking part again, although I obviously fell very short from last year's score! Desperately tried to finish with a positive score but failed! Can only improve on my poor attempt with next year's comp!

• I missed this until now. Thanks for running it again @DevC. Interesting to see that I managed not to finish bottom of the league despite donating and then failing to predict for the entire season. Possibly my best finish yet.