Skip to content

Comments

• New ground for MK when they have to leave the LackofSoulBowl and relocate?

• Have all four pubs gone too?

• What a shame, was a great old ground

• No, only one of them - and I think that one is actually being refurbished.

Here’s the eponymous Griffin, from my front door. It’s a nice pub!

• I understand the need for new grounds, but it is sad to lose so much history at the same time.

• Grew up in West London and watched my first football at Griffin Park

was gutted, I couldn’t get to see any of the last few games that because of lockdown

also ,of course, missed out on going to the first game at the new ground for the same reason

• I remember watching the FA Amateur Cup Semi there against Bishop Auckland in 1949. Not the best outcome but glad to remember it. The crowd was reported to be 30,453, with at least 12,000 from Wycombe including the coach load from the youth club I belonged to.

• edited May 2023

Great memory @wingnut - I can just about go back to the 1972 Amateur Cup Semi final there, v Hendon - so gutting to have missed out on a Wembley trip. Hard to take at such a tender age. A lot smaller crowd than in 1949, majority still from Wycombe - and of course the obligatory controversy over Hendon's offside winner - the BFP was all over it at the time...!

However, feeling my pain, my dad took me to the final at Wembley - Hendon v Enfield, to give me a feel for what it would be like, promising me that we would get there one day. For nearly 20 years, I waited, ever hopeful...

5 visits later, i have to say he sure delivered on his promise.... !! 😃

• Yes, seeing the Wanderers lose to Bishop Auckland and again in a semi-final at Doncaster in 1955 and then in the final at Wembley in 1957 were all full of disappointment but were all good days out and memorable in their own way.