Skip to content

15/16

A wonderful 14/15 now over, thoughts turn to 15/16. Many of the best players are gone and notwithstanding financial boost from the players, club likely to have lower half, possibly bottom six, player budget again next year.

Squad for 15/16
GK Definites - none
Possibles - Ingram (70% change still here after August transfer window?) - injury may make transfer out less likely this summer, may have to wait to Christmas or summer 16 window. Then again injury may make him unavailable for some of 15/16 season
Lynch - (30% chance) likely to go out on loan - lack of physical bulk means probably not ready yet to be No 1 in a professional side

Defence Definites Jacobsen, Jombati
Possibles Pierre (70%) - possible may leave in summer, slightly overshadowed by brilliance of Mawson but young lad still made some league best 11 lists so will be on other clubs radar. Possibly stay one more season.

Midfield Definities Bloomfield, bean, Wood, Kretchzmar (key season whether he has professional future)
Possibles Murphy (30% - persistant rumours of a return to a northern club) ephraim (50% - intentions unclear)

Attack definite Hayes
Possible Holloway (70% - rumours of interest but perhaps more likely to stay for 1st team football. If he can add goals could have a real future) Craig (60% - contract status unknown)

Plainly will need to be a number of new faces. Possible but realistically unlikely that they will be faces that were here last season. GA had a virtually unblemished record last season with player recruitment - even the best managers cant do that season after season so realistically must expect a dud or two next season.

So what are realistic goals - well obviously we should aspire to a repeat of this season challenging for promotion. But perhaps we should adjust expectations down a notch - realistically a top half finish would be a strong performance for which GA should be praised. So for me expect somewhere around midtable, respect the manager for a job well done if thats where the club is and if another promotion challenge can be maintained treat it again as a wonderful unexpected joy rather than the minimum expectation.

Comments

• it's good to have you around to tell us thickies what to think

• I think the biggest positive is that apart from Alfie (and I still dream he might be back with us) the defence should be largely unchanged (unless Matt goes, of course). With a settled Bean in midfield and Hayes and Holloway up front I think a playoff position ought to be the aim. We shouldn't ignore the benefits of playing our home games on a surface other than concrete - that could make a huge difference. If we're in the top 10 half way through the season we should defintiely be targetting the playoffs. And once we're in the playoffs, we we know to our cost, anything can happen.

• The only rumours about Murphy leaving have been completely unfounded speculation from posters on this site putting 2 and 2 together and getting 17.

He has another year left on his contract and is clearly still a part of Ainsworth's plans.

This article suggests he plans on being here next season too. Obviously his performances tailed off a little bit last season but his goal rate in the 1st half of the season was always unsustainable.
    http://www.getbucks.co.uk/sport/football/news/peter-murphy-wants-wycombe-wanderers-9342270

• DEV C what a load of crap that is

• How wonderfully articulate Mr Blueh-w.

• And he (or possibly she - although I've yet to meet a female of our species quite as dense) is so insightful as well

• @blueh_w Of all the people to dismiss someone's post as a load of unfounded crap, you really do take the proverbial, hypocritical fucking biscuit.

Your posts are the biggest load of dribble I've ever had the misfortune of reading.

• @JS_Watt said:
    blueh_w Of all the people to dismiss someone's post as a load of unfounded crap, you really do take the proverbial, hypocritical fucking biscuit.

Your posts are the biggest load of dribble I've ever had the misfortune of reading.

With you on that sir!