Skip to content

Vokes has signed for next season!

Comments

• If you think the manager and players have given up on the playoffs I can only presume that you didn’t see the game at Cambridge.

• I don’t think we can make a decision on Thompson and Gape until we know whether Wing is staying.

If Wing stays I’d let both go, as upset as that will make me. I love Thompson. I think Gape is a useful player too. But their injury records aren’t good for a 22(?) senior squad size.

I’d definitely keep De Barr around. Agree with others that Ward might step up.

Think we need at least another quality centre midfielder though.

• Gape is under contract next season. It's amazing the amount of people on Facebook and twitter that think both Wing and Gape are out of contract, when they are not.

• Wing doesn't make sense as that seems to be "out there" information wise.

But while I agree with you that Gape IS in contact, I can't actually find anything online that "proves" it.

• Wing isn’t out of contract but is clearly a top player who has been rumoured elsewhere. For what it’s worth, I actually think he will stay.

Can you point me to where it categorically says Gape is under contract for next season?

All the articles I’ve seen are from June 2022 where his contract was extended but we didn’t disclose the length of the extension… surely we didn’t give him 2 years given his injury record?

• Exactly this.

I "Think" there's a site that gives decent contract info where Gape was down as 2024 initially.

However, now I can't see him mentioned on there at all.

• Is Wing even definitely contracted beyond June? The club didn't disclose the lengths of either.

• edited April 2023

Even Gasman has Gape and Wing down as "assumed" under contract until 2024. This policy if not disclosing contract lengths is very silly.

• Curtis Thompson was a great find by Gareth & Dobbo, what a season he had in 18/19.

He's had a real struggle since Jan 2022 with injuries. In that period we have had near on 70 League games including the Playoffs and he's only played a full 90 minutes in four of those games.

If Gape is still under contract we can't possibly have two contracted centre midfielders who have such a bad recent injury record on the books. A small squad will dictate our choices here.

• Please forgive my ignorance on this topic, but what is the maximum squad size allowed in EFL L1?

If it's 22, as suggested earlier in this thread, that seems to be paper thin, considering teams have to nominate 18 players (11 starters plus 7 subs) for each game. Get a few injuries, and they'll be putting out tannoy announcements for fans to bring their boots ...

• edited April 2023

Fair enough, see your point. I've possibly also been convinced by everyone else saying he definitely is. Anyway, re sort of the original point, I don't see how we can keep both Thompson and Gape. I'd happily see Young, Ward and Pattenden get a few games next season anyway

• 22 excluding goalkeepers and under 21 players (who can be almost 22.5 by end of season)

Not aware of anybody having major issues - in fact many clubs do not nominate 22..

• Indeed it is. I'm guessing there is an obvious reason for it that I'm missing totally ? Other than another minor thing to annoy the fans with

• All the players signing on so far have said they are "here next season", as if it's been a club insisted on brief.

Maybe we are literally signing players on 1 year deals as we're having one more big budget go at promotion? And they don't want to say they're only 1 year deals which might give the idea it's all or nothing?

• If we are short in that department we should let it grow rather than bring it in?

• The signings so far certainly lend credence to your impression that the powers that be may be contemplating one more big push for promotion.

There is perhaps a justifiable feeling that with an evolving style (last Tuesday’s match suggesting a compromise between pretty, possession football and GA’s generally more direct approach has certainly not been ruled out) and with a squad of players who have been together long enough to know what their teammates are going to say next, let alone where they’re going to move to on the pitch or do with the ball, we should again be very much in the running.

But let nobody ever again make rash references to automatics. Unless of course they are referring to Oldsmobiles or whatever automobiles are currently being driven in The States.

• Am I right current believed signed squad (assuming no sales/releases is)

GK -

Def McCarthy Grimmer Forino Jacobson

M Gape, Wheeler, Wing Scowen

F Vokes Hanlan

Kids Young, Skura

• edited April 2023

Totally agree, @HolmerBlue.

And someone said (sorry, haven’t been able to find the post) that, if Wing goes, they would retain Gape and/or (can’t recall) Thompson.

Much as I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching both those ankle biting midfield terriers in the past (but sadly not very much this season) neither has the creative qualities of the classy Lewis Wing. Nick Freeman would - to me and I think a good many others - be a more obvious replacement but, as a goalscoring midfielder, Christie Ward could also be a candidate. @perfidious_albion and I have both been singing the latter’s praises.

Suddenly starting to get quite excited 😜.

PS I saw, in a cookie-fired news pop-up, that Wolves are looking to loan Chem Campbell to a Championship club next season. That’ll motivate him.

• edited April 2023

Have they bribed Max into signing a new contract by offering him a dog?

• I wonder if the ‘next year’ thing is to tie into the narrative about supporters signing up for next year too by virtue of buying a season ticket?

I don’t think we should read too much into the Dominic Gape contract situation. Bearing in mind the injury issues he’s had, his contract for next year may be dependent on terms in it that it wouldn’t be very kind to put on the record.

Pure guesswork on my part though.

• edited April 2023

All of the players signing on are on the wrong side of 25...so one year is not a surprise is it?

I am sure there are some deep, dark, worrying background going ons that will shock and alarm us all and keep some of our ITK posters awake at night...but if these signings are an indication that there is another 'budget busting' push for promotion with those players next year...I'm up for it. 😉

• Bobby Couhig inferred to outside investment in his interview a couple of weeks back. I wonder whom this group or individual is ??

Like most I'm suprised we have been able to hang onto Vokes and Scowen.

• It's hard hard to envisage a team with Scowen alone that wouldn't be competing in League One. Let's hope he is involved in a relegation scrap next season.

• Were you surprised we held onto Scowen @ChasHarps he's had a torrid time away from Wycombe and has enjoyed two really good seasons at a club where he is loved. Also Vokes has had it rough since Burnley, had a good season and a visit to Wembley with us and despite being out with an injury is first name on the list for a team and fans that are loving him in his twilight years. (hand down @micra ) I reckon Gmac will be another year as well.