Skip to content

Trust AGM

2»

Comments

• @DevC Your final para from the 851 post sums my position up well.

Is it the first time that all four board members rotating off are not standing for re-election?

• Bringing it back to the Trust Board elections, I know I'm biased, what with him writing for Vital and everything, but I think Dale Jenkins would be an excellent choice for one of the places.

Virtually no youngsters take an active interest in the running of the club which is something that needs to change.

I know one of Dale's many intentions is to rectify that and it's a mission he's ideally suited to.

There is plenty of experience already on the board and among the other candidates, so there is room for a young, capable and enthusiastic chap like Dale, who has already done much for the club on a voluntary basis.

I'm also fortunate to know Nigel Kingston who is keen to improve communication among other things.

Assuming we all get four votes, I'll wait for the presentations before deciding on my other two.

Be nice to see a few of them make their case on here.

• edited February 2015

For what it's worth, I'll be voting for two and only two candidates this year, namely DJ and James Sumner.

Why only two? I fell into this trap last year where my transferrable votes meant the one person I did want on the job was knocked out by the vagaries of the voting system.

Like others have pointed out I think DJ will bring a fresh, youthful perspective to the Board and will help the Trust reach out to that element of the membership. He doesn't need Board experience for that, just enthusiasm.

I backed James Sumner last year and was angry at the way in which the elections were run in such a way as to disadvantage his election to the Board. He is a breath of fresh air and will offer a critique of the sometime shambolic way in which the Trust has operated recently - heavily criticised on Gasroom v1.0. Sometimes it seems that the Trust Board are losing the wood for the trees.

The Board needs to be challenged on the way it is operated. I believe that through challenge there is scope for better decisionmaking. Finally, it is something of a relief to find that one way or the other there will be new blood coming on board.

• Final sentence 'new blood' rather than 'no blood' I think.

• @DJWYC14 said:

It's a shame you don't feel strongly enough that you should exercise your vote via a proxy?

Can I submit my proxy request via email (could be signed and scanned)? Or does it have to go through the post?

Without wanting to be exposed as too lazy to go to a postbox or too tight to buy a stamp this genuinely would impact on whether I vote or not.

• @Tory_Goon said:
    Why only two? I fell into this trap last year where my transferrable votes meant the one person I did want on the job was knocked out by the vagaries of the voting system.

Could you explain the voting system so we don't fall into the same trap?

I don't understand what you mean.

• edited February 2015

I think the point is you can choose to vote for less than four people if you would like to. This isn't really made clear as far as I can see on this year's proxy form and last year's voting slips. I don't think voting is in any order of preference, so crossing four boxes gives equal weight to those four candidates. if you particularly want one person elected, you could just choose them and no-one else so others don't gain an advantage where people feel the need to cross 4 boxes. Hope this makes sense and while it may be obvious to some it isn't to others.

@Tory_Goon @Len Thank you for the kind words.

@Chris Looks like email isn't an option. The proxy form says: "To appoint a proxy using this form, it must be completed and signed then sent or delivered to the Society's registered office at 3 Kingswood Place Place, High Wycombe, Bucks, HP13 7SR and received by 8pm on Tuesday 24 February 2015".

• That was my conclusion too, which seems a shame.

• @Baldric said:
    Final sentence 'new blood' rather than 'no blood' I think.

Don't know what you mean :P

• @Len said:

The only way to ensure that you don't inadvertently end up voting against your preferred candidate is to only cast one vote. In the Trust elections you vote four times

• LenLen
    edited February 2015

Thanks for the clarification, I shall use my votes wisely.

• I am pretty sure proxy votes can be handed in at the Trust table in the Vere Suite this Saturday - in a sealed envelope please.

• Colin Treacher has confirmed that signed, scanned proxy forms can be submitted via email.

• It seems if you have a definite preference for a particular candidate such as DJ, it is better to only cast one vote.