Skip to content

Rule changes you'd like to see

Comments

• Would you specify a level? Or just allow goons down the local park to have an opinion?

• @Malone sounded a bit pompous didn't it?

Absolutely any kids 'down the park' should be involved. My point.

• I think we all liked the World Cup when the first few games we had loads of time added on.

• Association football is the greatest thing imho.

Physical health, mental health, teamwork, getting kids off their phones.

It riles me when unfortunate people gain positions in uefa/fifa/fa. but hey ho this is the world we live in

• In USA college soccer, there is an off-field clock which counts down from 45 to zero. I think this method was used in the early days of MLS.

• Whilst you made a nasty, ignorant comment about English football supporters

• Ban players from apologising on social media after losing a game. You tried your best and lost, nothing to be sorry about. Your team is not entitled to win every game.

It’s only acceptable if you got sent off after 10 mins for fighting with your teammate.

• The World Cup Final, a matter of weeks ago, featured the greatest period of extra time in the history of the game. It beggars belief that you'd want to have deprived us of that.

It also means our cup run in 2002 would have ended in the 91st minute at Selhurst Park

Go and take some time on the naughty step and have a think about what you've done

• My argument is that why should you have a chance to respond if you have not gained separation in 180+ minutes? It's like the Rock Paper Scissors cliche where the loser says "best of five!" then "best of seven!", etc. It's hard to say you did not have a chance when you have played over three hours of football!

• Well, why end it when a team scores the winning penalty in the shoot out? Shouldn't the team that is behind get another chance to get caught up? Think of all the 17-16 penalty shootouts we have been deprived of!

• you can't rely ona referee

• I don't really see an issue with teams choosing to chop up the game and break the momentum up. That is a tactical decision. They still have to play 60 mins of football though.

• Basically, goalkeepers aren't allowed to delay the taker or talk to them anymore - yet the taker is allowed to delay their run-up, stutter etc. Would this have happened if not for Martínez in the WC final? I have my doubts.

• A Champions League Place for the FA Cup winners, and semi finals away from Wembley would help that competition immensely.

Surely winning the FA Cup is better than coming 4th!

• The powers that be would never let it happens. What happens when you have another situation like Wigan where the team who win it are relegated, and you've got a Championship team allegedly ruining the coefficient rankings of the big boys?

• The CL is the top competition in the game. You can't start giving out places based on a team winning as few as six matches - especially when that's largely down to the luck of the draw.

• edited March 2023

I partly agree on semis away from Wembley, although the obvious drawback is fewer fans would be able to go (not that Wembley allocations are nearly as high as they should be, what with the hangers on getting their fill).

• edited March 2023

How about banning music from PA systems half an hour before kick off or whenever fans are singing.

Allowing away fans parity of view and facilities with home fans. Hello Gillingham.

Allowing fans the option to buy out owners when it's clear they haven't got any money

If plastic pitches aren't allowed neither should mudbaths be

If you get more than 10 bookings for dissent in your career you are designated a gobshite, not allowed to talk to opposition players or the ref unless spoken to at all going forward

Probably some others

• edited March 2023

I had that thought about plastic pitches when Newport's pitch was in an absolutely dire state the other season. But plastic shouldn't be allowed anywhere.

I also think all clubs should have fully covered grounds within x number of years of being promoted into the EFL. Forest Green, especially Accrington, and even more so Gillingham, I'm looking at you.

• Add Swindon (that's always the maddest one for me - they were a Premier League club), Barrow and Sutton to the list.

• Yup, but more basic point on Gillingham if you're going to put crappy facilities in one quarter of the ground and leave it there for 20 years, we'll go and sit on the half way line under a roof and they can explain to their regulars why they don't need a roof at the other end. Similar point with Sunderland who are still pushing away fans up in the gods before you even get to MKs shittery.

• It's just my view but the CL has lost something since the fixtures repeat themselves so often.

Football in general has its priorities wrong and is allowing the big teams to dominate more and more. Ultimately why not give a team like Wigan a chance in the Champions League if they've actually won something?

The top teams would probably still win both competitions (FA Cup and CL) but it's giving slightly more potential to the non elite and helping redistribute wealth/media exposure throughout the game and away from the select few.

• Champions and FA Cup winners to the CL, second and EFL Cup winners into the Europa league and third place gets a bye into the knockout stages of the Papa John's. If I ruled the World...

• This feels a long time ago in this thread!

The referee would still stop the game for any player going down holding their head, just as they do at the moment. The player then leaves the pitch for treatment and an assesment. Players who go down cynically need to balance out whether they are prepared to interrupt the flow of the game if it means their team is down a player as they go off and the game carries on until they've passed their assesment. Player with genuine head injuries should be assessed in any case. An HIA isn't a long process, in rugby they're carried out in a matter of minutes, and they manage perfectly well to be kept away from management and other players. And obviously, if the player fails the HIA we now have a concussion sub rule to be made use of.

My guess is that it would cut out a large percentage of 'head' injuries.

• Re the last suggestion, you could require offenders to always wear a luminous orange headband when on the field once exceeding the 10 bookings..

• To stop players, other than the captain, from harassing the referee it would be sensible to adopt the card system they have in hockey. A word out of place and you are off for 2 minutes on a green card. A more severe offence it's a yellow card for usually 10 minutes. It gives the players a chance to calm down and reflect. It does work and the players leave the pitch with no argument.

• Refs don't help themselves some times, you can get a booking for shouting or swearing at the ref or for not clearing off when told to, if the authorities were serious we'd have a weekend or two when it was made obvious there would be a crackdown, a weekend or two when everyone gets down to 9 or 8 men and then it would normalise.