Skip to content

Tjay withdraws from Gibraltar squad (not injured)

13»

Comments

• Gibraltar have a number of great shot stoppers though, Dayle Coleing dines off the fact he kept out Erling Haaland in 2021.

• Although worth bearing in mind that we signed Chris Forino from Loughborough University!!

• edited March 2023

A lot of Gib players are probably a bit held back in their football development by the fact they generally go off to university at 18 so spend 3 years either playing for their university team or for a local side that lets them juggle football with their studies (e.g. Michael Yome played for Canterbury City, Jayce Olivero spent 3 years at Abingdon United, Dayle Coleing played for Thackley briefly and represented the England Universities team before becoming Gibraltar's #1 keeper and spending a season at Glentoran while his understudy Bradley Banda was at Team Solent). A number of Gibraltar youth internationals are at youth sides in the top 3 tiers in Spain (couple at Cadiz, some at Algeciras in the third tier) and a few in England (one at Derby County, one at Manchester United, couple at Boston United and one at Burton Albion) so if they can all make the grade at their teams then that'll do a lot for their standard in a few years. Their U16 side is currently playing in a UEFA Development Tournament in Bulgaria with only 3 players not at Spanish clubs, they drew 0-0 with North Macedonia (losing on pens) and beat Kosovo 2-1. Scott Wiseman (ex-Hull City, Barnsley etc) is their manager.

Oh and one of their youngsters, Jaiden Bartolo (17 years old) is apparently being tracked by Watford so could be worth swooping in on if Watford don't take him on.

• It would be my view too that WWFC would comfortably beat Gib.

@inflikted , you are clearly passionate about his national team and that is great. Do you think it helps their development to continually play games against massively better teams in which at best Gibraltar can only hope to put men behind the ball and keep the score down. Would it be better for them to play more competitive games against teams closer to their standard in order to qualify for the latter stages of tournaments - eg like a conference team has to win a game or two to qualify for the first round of the FA Cup and then a couple more before getting to play a top level team?

• Thats if there is a Spain by then 😉, bit more politics for ya

• The advantage Wycombe would have being able to train together would be difficult for Gibraltar to overcome.

On your other point about micro nations being defeated constantly, they do play each other and there’s quite a few of them so for every heavy loss to Germany there’s a win against Andorra

• Isn't that what the Nations League is supposedly for?

• Gibraltar will play eight games between now and November against Netherlands, France, Ireland and Greece.

I wonder what the players of Gibraltar get out of that or the players of the other teams.

Feels like qualification should be more tiered to me with perhaps only say four of the teams finishing in the bottom two this time qualifying to play in the final group qualifying games next time.

Anyway enough time thinking about Gibraltar.

• We'd win 10-1 and they would play in bare feet...

• Other ex Wanderers who studied at Loughborough were Peter Suddaby,Keith Blunt,Ted Powell,Lawrie Sanchez.

There were quite a few more,as well.

• Not Gibraltar fault they've been placed in one of the toughest groups. They are obviously unlikely to get anything against Netherlands or France, but they will be competitive against Ireland and hope for a result against Greece.

The crowd (if they were still playing home matches at home) and players will be much more excited for a match against France, even if they were to lose 6-0 than a more winnable League D fixture v Bulgaria or Liechtenstein or someone.

• They no longer play in Gibraltar but near Faro, Portugal. It's 400km or over 4 hours in the car with a difficulty getting through Spain and back. The Spanish border is always difficult on game days.

The National Stadium in Gibraltar is old and has very poor flood lights. They had a dispensation but this has now lapsed until the new stadium is built and opened in around 2025/26.

• edited March 2023

Well the new stadium just got planning permission. 8k seater with shopping mall and residential facilities, costing £100m. Some people not happy about the cost or the huge shopping mall, but previous football only proposals got rejected.

Anyway here's an interview with Tjay https://twitter.com/James_BFP/status/1639224432047820801?t=97HhOhQlurInXDG8pkCm6g&s=19

• I knew this would come back to bite me. There is a reason that Chris Forino does not play for Loughborough Uni anymore.

• I know that I'm in the minority here, but I think that TJ, on balance, has made a call that he may regret. Sorry. Circumstances have put undue pressure on him to make this decision, and my conclusion is only born out of thinking that further down the line, he may say to himself, "why did I do that?" Of course, who am I to bloody well advise him but, as I infer, I have his best interests at heart ❤️

• Earning another contract at a league 1 club is probably more beneficial for Gibraltar long term though.

As if he did get released there's no guarantee he gets another decent level club, and then does he even get into the international fold?

Arguably yes, as Styche does, who must be a non league player these days. But generally you'd want your international player to be competing at as high a level as possible?

• Ergo, Wycombe are playing at a higher level this weekend than the Euro qualifiers. In a sense, that’s true.

@RuyLopez : can’t resist. You imply; we infer.

• @micra always happy to be corrected!

• edited March 2023

It’s a shame that players at league one and league two level have to make the choice, whereas if you play for a club in the two top divisions, you don’t have to

one option is that the entire EFL takes a break on those weekends.

May not be popular with everyone, but would certainly benefit nonleague clubs!

• Considering the increasing number of internationals at League One and League Two (not just from smaller nations like Gibraltar and assorted Caribbean nations but also from other Home Nations like Northern Ireland) as well as youth internationals at U21/U19 level that play senior club football, e.g. loanees from the Premier League, it might end up being a thing soon where the whole EFL has to take breaks.

• The best thing with league 1 over the championship is not routinely being denied a game.

I can't imagine anyone would prefer to have more midweek games. They can often feel a little on the bleak and hassle side can't they?

Maybe I'm wrong and people love them.

• edited March 2023

Back in the ‘fifties when Maidstone got their first floodlights I used to love midweek evening games. Looking back I can still feel the excitement. I was blissfully unaware of “gates” in those days but the novelty factor and the fact that most fans were pretty local probably meant that there were at least as many watching as on a Saturday - perhaps more as a result of the novelty factor.

Can’t be sure but I think the first match under floodlights was against Pegasus or Corinthian Casuals. They seemed very sophisticated to this uninitiated teenager!

Being a bit lazy this morning. Should have done some googling research.

• In fairness I say midweekers can feel a hassle, but still went to Bristol Rovers away!

• Back in the early years of Adams Park, our biggest crowds were often for midweek games. Off the top of my head, Boston (FA Cup), Runcorn, Slough come to mind.

I do find the midweek games rather a hassle these days I must admit. Probably partly my age, these days it's fitting them around work, dinner, family. I tend to pick and choose more for the Tuesday fixtures, knowing I can always watch on Wanderers TV if I don't go. Saturday home games I look forward to much more and will always attend if I can.

• Tuesday night games always had a special atmosphere, there’s something about playing under floodlights that you don’t get during Saturday games.

We had a really long period of draws and losses during weekday games did we not? Maybe that had something to do with the fall off?

• When I was younger I used to prefer a midweek, under the lights in the evening just felt a bit special. But must admit I also find them a bit of a hassle now, and prefer a Saturday

• None of this will be a problem when Wycombe win the play-offs this year and go back to the Championship which breaks anyway.