Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• Such a frustrating one. This is the sort of game we have to win for the playoffs, and the chances were there. Albeit when they were knackered and down to 10.

Really need Taf back asap.

• An extremely frustrating afternoon

• One of the strangest posts I’ve ever seen on here. I don’t know how closely you follow the Wanderers. You only joined the Gasroom in November but I expect you’ve been following the club for rather longer. If so, you must be aware of the unbelievable number of injuries to defenders we have had to cope with. We have rarely been able to field the same back three or four for more than two consecutive games. Forino, for example, has only just returned from a long lay-off. Four more have either been injured or retired.

The remarkable thing is the successful way we have adapted to adversity. We are also adapting to a new approach based on a more attractive passing style of football.

Your suggestion that we went for “a cheap option” in appointing Matt Bloomfield is preposterous. We went for him because he, like no other, is totally immersed in the culture of the club and the all important understanding of the kind of characters who fit best in that environment.

Give him a bit more than three weeks!

• Huffed and puffed with little to show in the 2nd. Struggled to calm it enough to find the right pass.

Not a great day for Forino.

These games happen, and did many time for GA. Let's sort it out for September

• It's the same guy who has been banned under numerous usernames following the same format...a couple of Wycombe related names and 2 digits.

• Yeah, I felt Forino's made great strides in recent weeks, and really seemed to be playing with great confidence and dominance, and had cut out the mistakes that made me nervous a few times when he initially came into the first team.

But yeah, mistakes like his for the first goal will happen, he's still young and still learning, and still a great prospect.

• Silver lining Tj gets a goal I think he’s going to be a pretty good long term investment.

• Just one of those days by the sounds of it. It happens, we just need to get it out of our system quickly and go again on Tuesday against a side that have annoyingly hit some form.

With the injuries there's not much we can do to shake things up, but at least Scowen should be good to go.

• I couldn’t watch that every week.

• let's face it, we don't react well to getting Wycombised, do we?

Maamria said he wanted his side to scrap for everything, do the basics, look solid and compete, and lo and behold...

• I’m still hoping we’ll get to see Vokes and Tjay playing a classic little and large front two before the end of the season. It’ll be like Scott and Langford.

• Might as well try it next game as unfortunately Hanlan is having a difficult little spell, tripping over his own feet a bit and needs the goals to be 30 yards wide and high

• Got a lot to do to convince me yet but hope I am wrong. For me he is a Conference level player at the moment but a good lad who obviously wants to learn.

• @micra it's a troll from a rival club. Don't rise to it

• Taff said in one of his YouTube videos that any young kids learning the game should be watching TJdB and suggested that he is going on to big things.

Difficult to watch when he doesn't play mind.

• Mneh. A couple of individual errors and our lack of finish cost us, we lost the game we weren’t beaten. Forino, Grimmer and JJ contribute to the loss on any other Saturday they are the top 3 performers - shit happens.

I would have changed Hanlan sooner. He was lost and as good as he was first half last week he was really really poor today. Campbell - what a player, just get your head up a bit more lad.

We move on. Never too high.

• Bit of a worry that Blooms mentioned a couple of knocks from today. Wheeler off after 52 maybe Hanlan the other?

Could well see TJ start on Tuesday. Would love to see a good old fashioned 442

• With a new manager, with less than one season under his belt in the position, I think inconsistency is going to be par for the course isn’t it?

• Wembley still beckons

• Some of the football they are playing is fantastic. The finishing was poor but optimistic

• Hear hear @LX1 - I am very disappointed with how the day went down, but love this club, and this manager! Come on boys! Onwards and upwards!

• edited March 2023

Disappointing result today but Burton have been a different side the last few months. We created enough and without the defensive errors, we would have got at least a point today.

In fairness to their No.4, even when he found out he'd been sent off, his main concern was making sure Lewis Wing was okay. I thought that was pretty classy (clearly the challenge wasn't!).

• I noticed that in the game against Bracknell, he does get up quite well. A touch of the Stuart Beavon about him. He was fantastic in the air despite being relatively small. Good technique can go a long way.

• After this lost, it will be a pivotal week with games against Bristol and Barnsley. Less than maximum points and I believe the playoff dream will be over. Not feeling very confident.

• Of course. I’m not sure how I didn’t spot the guy. I was incensed by the unmitigated and totally unjustified negativity and failed to register the juvenile English.

My instant response was heartfelt and helped to focus my mind on the sequence of events that led to us losing a game in which we were so dominant. I didn’t share the optimism at half time of Toby Large and @bluntphil that Burton being down to ten men would make life a lot easier in the second half. I’ve seen ten men raise their game and make life difficult (including Wycombe) too often to share their optimism.

What really made me angry was someone with JJ’s experience, confidence and composure firing the penalty over the bar. Yes, I know, it happens and the sodden, bobbly playing surface may have been a factor. If that had gone in…….who knows. If Tjay De Barr hadn’t missed a sitter…..if ifs and ands were pots and pans there’d be no need for tinkers. At least that’s what mrs micra used to say. Probably not pc but I like it.

We go again on Tuesday on a pitch which has not been without its own problems this season. Allegedly.

• We should have at least come away with a point. Dreadful penalty miss from JJ. TJ also missed an open goal with a header when HD came on. Josh Scowen made an immediate impact and should have come on for the whole of the second half - as soon as they went down to 10 men.

• We had enough chances in the end to win that, let alone get a draw.

Failing to test the keeper with either the penalty or TJ’s first headed chance was really disappointing.

We just can’t afford the kind of sloppy errors made yesterday if we want to make the top 6.

Credit to Burton who punished some poor defending very effectively. I thought they battled really well and the number 4 won a lot of his 50/50s until the red card. Totally unrecognisable team from the hapless side we faced in July.