Skip to content

Burton Build-Up

2»

Comments

• edited March 2023

Interesting thoughts, @thecatwwfc. I generally like any club that was non-league before promotion to the EFL began in the late 80s, until they give me specific reason to dislike them. Burton have not up to now, whereas Fleetwood under Barton gave me plenty of reasons!

One reason we do need to get back up into the Championship is to take away the high watermark title from Burton for clubs of that nature. Currently only three clubs who were non-league before 1987 and then promoted into the EFL have made the second tier, Burton, Yeovil and then us. Yeovil finished bottom, but Burton had two seasons up there and a 20th placed finished with 52 points, so they still have a type of bragging rights until we better it.

Not a lot of other candidates to make that kind of a run without a serious sugar daddy (looking at you, Salford), though Fleetwood have been up there at times in L1.

• I did not know that about non league clubs making it to the Championship. Even more reason to respect the way Burton and Wycombe are run. What happened to Yeovil? DId they overspend?

• Just as a laugh, here is where all former non-league clubs (pre-promotion) stand in the EFL. Not counting Barrow because of their prior league history, or Wimbledon as a phoenix club, though maybe I should.

1. Wycombe - 7th in L1
    2. Fleetwood - 14th in L1
    3. Cheltenham - 17th in L1
    4. Burton - 19th in L1
    5. Accrington - 20th in L1
    6. Morecambe - 21st in L1
    7. Forest Green - 24th in L1
    8. Stevenage - 3rd in L2
    9. Salford - 7th in L2
    10. Sutton - 9th in L2
    11. Harrogate - 19th in L2
    12. Crawley - 23rd in L2

Two things that stand out is that it is amazing that we currently have a League One with seven traditionally non-league clubs playing alongside Sheffield Weds, Derby, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Bolton, Barnsley and Charlton. It's a shame two or three are likely to be relegated. It feels like this may be a unique season in L1 for this insane level of big and traditionally small clubs cheek by jowl.

Secondly, interesting that there are more traditionally non-league clubs in L1 than L2 this season, even if one was to count Barrow.

• Someone else may correct me, but I don't think they spent a ridiculous amount. They achieved a respectable 37th points in coming last, nowhere near the worst ever, even though they were the first of this type of prior non-league club to get into the second tier.

• edited March 2023

Despite Burton's previously mentioned high watermark in the league, I think there is a strong argument for Wycombe ranking as the greatest prior non-league club who came in via promotion. Both clubs have an EFL cup semi, and both have been in the second tier (with Burton having that additional season), but Wycombe also have an FA Cup semi and a lot longer in the EFL as a whole - I believe I am right in saying we have the longest unbroken run after promotion, as other promoted clubs before us were either coming back into the EFL, or have since gone back into non-league.

If you look at the list above, no-one else is remotely close on achievements. Yeovil would come third, and they are not even in the EFL any longer.

• Club Twitter says game on.

• Today could be our chance to close the gap. 2nd vs 4th and 3rd vs 5th! Dare I say, an Oxford win would be lovely today too.

• Will be an interesting team selection today. The obvious thing to do would be to go in pretty much unchanged (adding Josh Scowen if fit).

However, we’re in the middle of a run of 5 matches in 15 days and we’re currently very reliant on quite a few 30 somethings like JJ, GMac, Big Sam and David Wheeler.

The big call for Matt is whether we’re going to try to make it through the 5 matches with basically the same team or whether to take the decision to give one or two players a bit of rest. Particularly as the 5th game against Barnsley is the big one. If we are, today or Tuesday are the games to do it.

Not an easy decision, especially given we’re so stretched anyway which narrows the options in any event. For example, we don’t have another left back unless Obita is back from injury, so the only way to rest JJ would be to play a back 3 and that means changing the whole shape. Not against that, but it’s a big call after Tuesday night’s performance.

• Burton Twitter still saying game on as of 10 am.

https://twitter.com/burtonalbionfc/status/1634493113208291329?s=20

• 100% I would rest GMac today and start Chem. if Scowen is just about ready I would try to save him for Tuesday. Wheeler starts every game for me, if fit, as does Vokes.

The only change I would make at the back would be if Taf or Willis were back. Moving Grimmer to RB

• I think Jack is a CB now, but that does put some pressure on JMac.