Skip to content

Attendance Prediction Bolton Wanderers (H) - Sat 18th Feb - Match 31

2»

Comments

• Whoops! I’ve bided my time for too long.

• Steve is still wandering the far reaches of the north, and so I'm just standing in for a quick update :)

Twitter says: "Today's attendance is 6,544, including 1,475 #BWFC supporters." So those'll be the numbers Dad'll process when he returns from his travels at some point today

And now back to trying to follow the football and the women's cricket at the same time..

• Yet another poor turnout. If the Gasroom is anything to go by, a lot of 'fans' will have been watching on iFollow and not even paying for it.

• Unless I’m mistaken everyone watching on iFollow will have paid.

• I'm afraid you are mistaken and certain well known users of this forum have actively encouraged non-payment.

• edited February 2023

Never seen anyone do the second part.

I dare say it's possible, but much harder than say finding a premier league / euro game, which are typically on a proper tv station somewhere in the world. Which our games aren't - only available on this 1 platform.

What I have always been a bit cynical about is when the club claim these vast viewing figures from abroad! I'd like to know how much of the Vipienne crew are giving these exotic locations!

• People use VPNs to avoid the Saturday 3pm ban, but they still pay the WanderersTV subscription.

• LDFLDF
    edited February 2023

Try putting Vipenne into the Gasroom search box.

• Go on show us a post where anybody has suggested NOT PAYING the £10 Wanderers TV fee.

If you want to take a dig at people watching from Vipienne at least know what that means.

• I've never seen anyone on the gasroom either mention "bypassing" the fee or encouraging others to do it.

• OK, keep your hair on.

• edited February 2023

For a variety of reason a number of us find it very difficult to attend home games, the fact the club turns a blind eye to VPN use is a benefit that I for one was happy to pay a year in advance for when I bought a season long pass as the club make more out of me than they would otherwise.

I like the previous posters cannot recall anyone ever discussing a way to enjoy that benefit without paying at least the £10/€11 Wanderers TV fee. I do recall lots of posts about how to set upa a VPN & use it to access the paid for feed.

• I pay for a season ticket, pay for Wanderers TV and pay for match passes with a VPN if I can’t attend the game.

Surely the club is making more money out of me this way than if I just bought the season ticket?

• I've obviously misunderstood. I thought people were watching matches on iFollow for free. I'm sorry.

• Thanks @railwaybeth for keeping people updated while I was in an internet free zone. Back home safe now having listened to @bluntphil on the southbound carriageway of the A1 - only losing signal once whilst Bolton were attacking.

Thanks to @LDF for clearing that discussion up.

Updates for attendance predictions on track for tomorrow.

• edited February 2023

I think half term has a lot to do with our lower numbers. A lot of floating visitors who can afford to come in these difficult times could well be skiing, off on an exotic holiday or just visiting friends or family in other parts of the UK.

We do tend to have a more affluent floating fan base than most other teams and no I don’t have any evidence for this.

Still over 5000 home fans for this game but you’d really hope for 5500 to 6000 home fans for such a big game. Yesterdays gate could also have been affected by the bigger game last Saturday.

Hopefully we can bring our average gate to over 6000 for the season which would be the first time in 20 years we’ve hit over 6000.

• I think there are some issues with the ticket pricing around the ground.

Family stand is £19 for a season ticket for under 12. £95 for a teenager. Too cheap in my view. The family stand is ‘sold out’ most weeks. Or at least you can only book single tickets. And yet it is probably only around 2/3 full, even for the bigger games. Clearly people are buying a ST but only using them infrequently. Or, even worse, deliberately keeping the seat next to them free for some extra legroom!

I’m all in favour of getting families in. Attracting youngsters is the only realistic way to grow crowds longer term. But it needs to be priced at a level where people actually value it.

At the moment we’ve engineered a situation where the casual/occasional supporter can’t attend some one-off games and bring kids unless they are willing to pay for more expensive areas of the ground (£12 or £17 in the FA for a child/teen respectively). When you factor in the £28 adult ticket alongside it then it quickly adds up to £100+ for a family when you factor in parking, food etc. That is clearly not a very attractive price point for a lot of people, especially if they aren’t massively into football. I’m sure there are plenty of cheaper ways to keep the kids entertained for an afternoon.

Of course a related issue is that the standard adult tickets are too expensive in the seated areas for a single game. Also, why are over-65 tickets cheaper? Pensioners are loaded for goodness sake! If anything we should charge them more!

• The club need a ticket exchange but I’m not sure this would benefit the club in terms of instant revenue, just easier access for floating fans.

I think any adult tickets in the Family Stand, including Season Tickets should only be sold with child/junior tickets. This would cause issues with long term season ticket holders who’ve now got grown up children, this could be addressed in some way.

• Is the family stand sold out? I’ve always been able to switch in there last minute without any grief, plenty of empty seats yesterday, and a few adults without kids in twos and threes think someone explained this before as ex teenagers keeping their season tickets or something)

• Looks like a job for someone with spare time on their hands about 1pm on a match day to check seat availability. Wonder what Daryl Horgan will be doing next week?

• We’ve been season ticket holders in the family stand for years. Started as one adult and two children and over the years that has become three adult tickets. We like the seats, the view and the people around us.

The family stand is very rarely full. I’m not sure there is a genuine problem here.

• My understanding is ‘family stand’ means cheaper seats for kids and an implicit don’t swear directive not only for families?

• Yes think that’s what it means at Wycombe, other grounds insist on adults being with children, don’t feel too strongly either way to be honest.

• Some unfinished business after a seismic seven days - Welsh earthquake rather than Turkish one though.

The actual attendance was 6544 and with 1475 travelling Trotters, there were 5069 Wycombe supporters there. It seems an age ago.

The Top Twently for the Total Attendance:

Many congratulations and apologies for the tardiness to @NewburyWanderer who aced the predictions for Gareth's last game in charge - Forecaster for the Week that Was - a title to be proud of.

We mostly overestimated the crowd for that game. The only two forecasts which were below the actual crowd made up the trio closer than one hundred and came 2nd and 3rd. Congratulations to @Commoner and @Forest_Blue. The Tour de Season post for the Bolton game is already up, I completed that first to note, in a timely fashion, @ValleyWanderer's contributions.

Top Twenty for the Away Attendance:

Congratulations to @DevC, closest and a single digit miss. Honourable mentions for @peterparrotface and @Commoner who were both within 20.

Top Twenty for the Home Crowd:

Congratulations to @Commoner, closest and the only one within one hundred.

It will be interesting to see what the home crowd is for the Exeter game this Saturday.

Happy predicting and Up the Blues.