Skip to content

Comments

• Is this a "Titanic sinks" moment?

• So sad, wishing him all of the best for the future 😔

• Been a very good player for every cub he's played for. Always a shame when injury forces a player out of the game, especially at just 29.

• There's a very good interview with Alfie on WanderersTV talking to Phil.

• Is this the interview you had in mind @robin ?

Check out this post from Wycombe Wanderers

https://www.wwfc.com/news/2023/february/14/alfie-mawson-retires-from-football/

• Low key, inevitably, but great that he felt he’d moved to a better place (mentally and literally) when he returned to Adams Park last summer.

I mentioned elsewhere that he seemed to brush away a tear at the end of his message. Hardly surprising and I think we all share his sadness and hope the future holds plenty of well deserved happiness. We’ll miss him.

• An interview that was both sad and yet uplifting. You can only feel the greatest sympathy for a man whose career has ended far too soon, but pride about the way he spoke about our club. We don’t get everything right on and off the field, but I defy anyone to name a club that draws so much genuine affection from those players who pass through.

• Aaah, didn’t know there was one.

Thanks.

• A superb interview. Alfie comes across as an absolutely top bloke.

@bluntphil also showed great skill in being silent and just allowing Alfie to speak from the heart.

Bravo

• It's a great interview, and makes you proud to be a Wycombe fan.

Loved the bit where he talked about Jordan Willis, within a day of being there saying he can see exactly why we do so well.

• Excellent to hear from Alfie himself that he isn't going to bow out straight away & is going to stick around to impart & share his knowledge and experience. Would be good to think that as a club, we could offer him something, in particular as Mat Bloomfield has left his role as coach at the club?

• Can only agree with all of your comments. I suppose that we knew that it was coming but that doesn't mean that it isn't a shock when it finally does.

• Please Rob, try and stretch the budget to give Alfie a coaching role, we really need to keep this superb chap at our club.

• Thought the long interview on this weeks Pre-Match Drills was excellent, @bluntphil knew when to say nothing & just let Alfie talk & when to prompt him. So glad that we re-ignited his love of football & that we are special to him. Pleased that he is clearly offering to stay & impart his knowledge & experience to the squad, just hope that we find it in ourselves to offer him the opportunity to do that on a more formal basis & help him through his badges if that is a route he wants to go down.