Skip to content

RIP Brian Lee

A man who dedicated so much of his life to the Wanderers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wwexplayers/permalink/1166209040758270/

Comments

• edited February 2023

So very sad. I understand he died just a couple of days after his wife’s funeral.

his contribution to the club is absolutely massive

strangely enough, I was talking about him with two supporters prior to yesterday’s game

we basically agreed that the three greatest managers in Wycombes. history were Gareth Ainsworth, Martin, O’Neill and Brian Lee . Of course, as well as being a great manager, Brian did so much more

• Before my time but often mentioned in glowing terms, look forward to hearing more from those who were around, clearly huge influence on the club for many years. RIP.

• Aw no, this is really sad news. Bona fide Wycombe legend. RIP.

• RIP Brian.

• If you go on the ex-players Association Facebook, pages there is an extensive tribute to him

• This is so sad, so soon after his wife's passing.

He was a huge part of my young supporting days. Few people in the history of this club have had such a positive influence, a proper legend.

He expected the highest standards of behaviour from his players, a man of great integrity. He was a real football man, one of the games great administrators, with many roles outside of this club.

He managed the move to Adams Park, it would be good to see some part of the ground named after him.

• Terrible news to hear, without doubt one of the great figures in our illustrious history. Not just as the manager of one of the great amateur club sides of the era, but as chairman navigating the difficult transition from amateur football to semi-professionalism, and then his role in the arduous journey to find WWFC a new home after Loakes Park had been subject to a compulsory purchase order. No doubt there are far more accomplishments those around at the time could say, but needless to say he's up there with the likes of Frank Adams as towering figures in the development and progression of our club.

The quote from his son Bryn that Brian gave a fist pump on hearing of our win yesterday (having been the manager of the Wanderers XI that had been taught a football lesson by Derby under a certain Brian Clough 53 years before) made me smile at a very sad time. Hopefully the lads this season will continue to do him proud.

RIP Brian

• Ah shame, my late father was good friend's with Brian, he was a lovely bloke. RIP

• That is a real shame.

RIP Brian.

• This is desperately sad news. It’s difficult to overstate just how much Wycombe Wanderers owes to Brian Lee. We wouldn’t be where we are now without him. He was a true leader and led by example. He has left a lasting legacy and will live on forever in the history of our club as one of the greatest ever managers.

May he Rest In Peace.

• Many years ago I worked for Rothmans when they were heavily involved with sport. At that time Brian was in charge at Bisham Abbey and I had the pleasure of working with him and his assistant Howard Wells during 'sport for all week' at the national sports centre. A thoroughly nice man and a consummate professional. RIP Brian

• I will be eternally grateful to Brian for introducing me to Wanderers in 1975 and making me feel so welcome. A great football man and thoroughly nice bloke.

• In the history of WWFC there are a few individuals who rise above the multitude into the realm of greats.

Brian Lee is one, RIP.

• Very sad news. A true Wycombe Wanderers legend.

• I’m very saddened to hear this news. I frequently had robust conversations about football with Brian and he certainly liked a good argument. But his stance was always underpinned by a deep love of the game of football. His time as chairman of the Football Conference was highlighted by Brian bringing integrity & accountability to the fore. He had very high standards & his influence on Wycombe Wanderers and the Football Conference (now National League) were massive. A thoroughly decent bloke & a big loss to both Wycombe Wanderers & the wider game of football.

• The way his teams played football, is the reason I am a football fan. Pure football poetry, thank you Brian. RIP.

• I’m too young to have seen any of Brian Lee’s teams, just as I started watching the club he was passing over the reins as Chair to Ivor Beeks in order to focus on the move to Adams Park.

I did, however, met Brian on a number of occasions and always found him generous, kind and knowledgeable. The kind of person you want to see involved in football, but rarely do.

The impression I’ve always had of him is that he did things with a touch of class and I enjoyed seeing the postings above from those who enjoyed watching his teams play.

Off the pitch, our wonderful stadium at Adams Park is a testament to Brian Lee’s talents. We were very lucky to have him involved when we did.

• A really significant figure in this great club's history. Thanks for all you did, and may you rest in peace.

My thoughts and condolences are with his family and friends

• edited February 2023

Brian was manager when I first began this WWFC love affair, and he delivered me four championships in my first five seasons of football watching, along with an Amateur cup semi final, giant killings, a draw with Jack Charlton’s top team in English football at the time, a European non-league trophy, and seemed to produce teams who almost never picked up a booking. He immediately steadied the defensive ship whilst in temporary charge after the Suddaby fiasco, had a vision for Wycombe eventually playing league football, masterminded the move to Adams Park, and did a million other things behind the scenes that I never knew about. His passing causes me great sadness, but in my mind he will be forever up there in Wycombe manager folklore along with Martin and Gareth. Thank you, Brian.

• Brian Lee years as Wycombe manager co-incided almost exactly with my years as a teenager in Wycombe. I used to go with my father. Brian Lee's teams converted me to a season ticket holder. I don't think we have ever such dominance over the clubs around us as we did over those seasons. Thank you Brian. Rest in peace.

• He touched every area of this club for so many years and worked tirelessly in other areas of football and sport.

A Wycombe legend in every sense.

• Very sad news. I first started watching Wycombe in 1970 at the age of 15, having had no inclination to do so previously, and I was immediately hooked. The football and atmosphere was not something I would have associated with an amateur club. Five glorious years followed, and I remember wondering, after Brian announced he was leaving midway through the 75-76 season, whether things would ever be as good again. They would, but there would be 15 years in the relative doldrums until the move to Adams Park (masterminded by Brian Lee), and the arrival of Martin O'Neill.

Brian Lee was, and still is, a legend at Wycombe Wanderers. May he rest in peace.

• Brian was a massive catalyst for this club as we moved from the old blazer brigade to a football club close to what we see today.

I was lucky enough to be at a couple of ex-players dinners where he spoke. He had a fantastic wit and was clearly loved (possibly more later in life than at the time) by his players.

Wycombe should always be grateful for his part in our history and I hope we acknowledge that around the ground in the same way that Monty and Frank Adams have been.

• edited February 2023

Brian was a strict disciplinarian and his influence in that respect (as well as many others, of course) lived on for many decades and, to a large extent, is still displayed today, as reflected in the mutual respect and decency within the squad as well as the team spirit and togetherness which, appropriately, was so much in evidence on Saturday.

• Like many on here I grew up watching Wycombe when Brian Lee was the manager and have the utmost respect and admiration for everything he did for us then and in his subsequent roles.

Without him and his vision and decency we would definitely not be the club we are now.

RIP

So pleased Wycombe allowed him one last fist pump

• Terribly sad news. Well before my time, but it's clear we wouldn't be the club we are today without him.

Awful for his children, to lose both parents in such a short space of time.

• Always remember around about April 1990, being part of a group of supporters who were invited for a Sunday morning tour of the half completed Adams Park

Brian acted as our informative and witty guide to out what was there and what was going to be in place within the next four months

although by then he was, of course in charge of the move, the football manager came out of him when we were standing on the newly built Woodlands Terrace and he pointed to the middle and said”the stadium will be wonderful, but it’s what happens out there that will be vitally important”

• Well said @floyd, my feelings exactly. RIP Brian, and heartfelt condolences to his friends and family.

• I thought John Reardon was in charge after Suddaby left?

• @TwinBrother Apologies - I had been pretty sure, from memory, that it was Brian Lee who was in charge for the 0-0 away draw at Wealdstone. He certainly took temporary charge after Andy Williams' departure in 1980, prior to Mike Keen's arrival.