Skip to content

Departures that really hurt

124»

Comments

• edited April 2023

Williamson was probably the only permanent centre back pre Mawson that I remember just thinking, this guy is embarrassingly too good for this division.

McGleish was a funny one. 26 league goals in a league 2 season. I'm not sure if anyone has bettered that in our league days? Would have to get Devine's full record out, as wiki only has league goals in total across his time here, not by season.

Very hard working, and a real goal scorer, but a huge flounce late on left a bad feeling.

• Tried to quickly have a look at the top goalscorers list, and best I could find was this link, that only goes back to about 98/99

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/wycombe-wanderers/toptorschuetzensaison/verein/2805

Therefore, had to check the stuff 93-98 separately so might be slightly ropey (* from quick count up)

But it looks like

LEAGUE 2

McGleish 26

Tyson 22

Bayo/Easter/Mooney/Stallard* 17

LEAGUE 1

Devine 23*

Beavon 21

Vokes 16

Noteable that Vokes looks to be our 3rd top league 1 scorer.

Happy for @ReturnToSenda to correct these if easy (league goals only)

• You’re missing a league.

• McGleish was a really good footballer to watch with a leap like Wheeler so it was indeed a sad end. I thought him and Harrold should have been a great pairing. Peter Taylor seemed to think otherwise.

• edited April 2023

We don't talk about Fred much, but the way he left was a bit odd - I am not blaming him, it's more the abruptness and the "busy cleaning out the office" scenario that was strange. Love the guy though - on a football note, legendary sealing goal against Fleetwood in the playoff semis, and winning the penalty to go up. On a character note, when Luton played Sunderland this season, there was talk about how he came over to a young lad with autism (if I remember rightly) at the Stadium of Light before the game and had a lovely chat with him, telling him it is okay to be different, and evidently made the lad's day, along with his family. He seems like a lovely man.

• Betsy was another, Ripped Chelsea and others apart as on the other thread, really unplayable. Hayes said he wouldn't sell him on the cheap and then almost immediately kept his word by loaning him out.

• Was interested in the highest league totals all in, then almost as an afterthought realised league 1 v 2 needed distinguishing.

But Uche, maybe 6 or 7 goals while the best we've had in the champs, really doesn't come close to the other figures.

• edited April 2023

The Fred departure situation is up there in Wycombe folklore with the Devine injury, the Phillips clauses and the Morais departure days after signing a new deal.

The idea that there was an office cleanup so intense that no one could get more than a one liner to the sentiment of "Fred? He's gone guys" out, is a bit insulting to everyone's intelligence.

• I was gutted when Mooney left after falling out with Lambert.

Fantastic player for us.

• I’ve been in that office too, and I’ll wager it’s not been deep cleaned in a decade!

• Mawson most gutting. Mehmeti pretty big too. But for me as a kid it was Mickey Bell.

I wanted Bayo to go on forever and really thought he'd still be involved with the club in some capacity.

McSporran was my favourite player as a teenager - was sad to see him go sideways.

• Kevin Durham's departure was a real wrench. As much as Guppy and Carroll were now prominent members of the team, Durrers was the one that stirred the excitement when he was gliding with the ball.

• Stuart Beacon for me, not just his departure but the manner of it was so gutting. To claim injury yet be photographed signing for another club puts him in the "utter cnut" category! 😡

• edited April 2023

Not the valuable stars leaving for me but the real characters that make the club such a joy to feel part of. Like Sergio and Sido, I miss the connection with those type.

• Beanhead - knew practically every man, woman and child's second team and could be relied upon for any latests

• I was disappointed when Ashford left but I had to pinch myself every time he played, that a player with tier 2 level talent, at least, was playing for lowly us in tier 6. We were lucky to have him so it was not surprising when he did go. He certainly was an enigma.

Keith Searle's leaving was a blow, made worse by him signing for our bitter rivals Enfield. Declan Link and Sido going were felt keenly. I despaired at Westy's sidelining and eventual departure, but at least St. Martin apologised publicly, some years later, for the way he treated him.

The one I really felt was Jamie Bates' retirement, completely out of the blue when he was still such a great footballer.

• Scowen the first time around to Barnsley. We were top of the league at the time and I'm sure we'd have gone up automatically had he stayed around, avoiding the Southend penalty nightmare.

It was just a couple of weeks after Paris left for Millwall which garnered a lot more press attention due to his goal and assists stats and I believe he had just been given the league player of the month award. But everyone knew Scowen was the bigger loss to the team.

• Larry Pritchard going back to Sutton in1974 was a big disappointment, as he was one of classiest players to play for us. Similar to Ashford, he could play in midfield or upfront, or link the two together brilliantly. Understandably, the travelling became too much for him as I think he lived in the Sutton area (pre M25). His replacement Howard Kennedy didn’t do too badly mind.

• Larry was one of our most skillful players ever, a joy to watch. No surprise when he returned to Sutton United, the club closest to his heart, where he made nearly 800 appearances and went on to manage them.

• Agree, certainly the first name on the team sheet for my Wycombe nonleague, XI versus Wycombe football league XI game