Skip to content

“Optimism is a disease”, but…

2»

Comments

• We've got a fair run at playoffs. With Ainsworth at the helm a very fair run. Amusing to see how @glasshalfempty deals with it

• Stolen from the Bolton forum…predicted final table based on recent form.

• It would take some going for us to crack 80, but I like the hypothetical look of that!

• It’s a nice read that but it doesn’t take in to account our supposed easier run in and Barnsley’s horrendous run in.

• Please don’t! Remember that ‘easy-looking’ run of games in October/November where we hardly picked up any points? I get VERY nervous when someone mentions things like this.

• https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/league-one/

Five Thirty Eight - the US website currently predicts us finishing 7th, missing out on play offs by two points to Barnsley. That will hopefully change if we can win a few more against those around us.

• It’s all bullshit though isn’t it. Nobody can predict what’s going to happen.

I fancy our chances though with our current position, squad and manager. Role on Bolton.

• Shrewsbury will surely drop away. They still have to play a lot of the teams above them. Based on what I’ve seen in the last 7-8 weeks I think we’ll finish 5th or 6th. The team is as organised as I’ve ever seen it and full of confidence.

Having the likes of Hanlan back in the side and fully match sharp has made a massive difference. Back in Oct/Nov when so many players were still getting back to full fitness we looked half the team we are now.

• To be fair to Shrewsbury, I think we've been expecting them to drop away for quite a while now, but they just seem to be getting stronger and stronger. They're currently on a great run of form similar to our own and the play off teams. Clearly they have something going for them and they have already beaten us this season, albeit the early season version of ourselves!

Will certainly be a very tough fixture when we travel there next weekend.

• Remember when Gaz was saying how good we were going to be in the second half of the season when our squad was back at full strength? Our current form is nothing short of sensational, particularly in light of losing two players that seemed so fundamental to our success this season.

For what it's worth, I think we are destined for heroic failure this season when it comes to making the top 6. I just can't see us carrying on at this level of performance or close to it until the end of the season. If and when the drop off happens, I believe that the points we drop will be too much, simply because of the strength and consistency of the teams that we are competing with. I really hope that I'm wrong, and I can't wait for the ride. Roll on Saturday.

• edited February 2023

I think we'll finish fairly comfortably inside the top 6 and Ipswich will miss out. I don't see any of the teams behind having enough to catch us.

• I am fairly certain that Ipswich's form will pick up soon as other teams with smaller squads start to get stretched. If they do miss out on the play-offs, that is quite some capitulation. I agree that the likes of Posh and the Shrews are unlikely to reel us in, and even if they do I doubt it will be enough for them to make the top 6.

• Superb stuff. The bandwagon is really picking up speed now. Room for everyone!

• 20 points in our first 15 games, 30 points in our next 15. Continue that rate of improvement and we'll be on 90 points going into the final game of the season, maybe needing a win to pip Plymouth to 2nd spot...

• What this encapsulates for me is that there is no chance anyone in the mix is going to maintain their current form.

The only half realistic final table is the far right, and even that would be very high combined points total.

• edited February 2023

Hanlan definitely makes a big difference.

Just having that pace and power over the top option to stretch teams.

We all loved Mehmeti, but Hanlan just brings a totally different challenge, and him and McCleary on different wings is strong.

• I’m still not ready to jump on but I am really loving the way we’ve dealt with adversity so far this season.

I have a feeling I’ll look back on this season with fondness despite it feeling like living through an abusive relationship right now.

• LX1LX1
    edited February 2023

@glasshalfempty @glasshalffull we need now is you to jump on, to give us the momentum to take us to Wembley, like 1931.

Edit meant halfempty but can't delete halffull!

• Shrewsbury have been doing pretty well and are hot on our heels.

But.

Look at this for a run-in.

Sat 18 Mar A Ipswich Town  

Sat 25 Mar H Bristol Rovers  

Sat 1 Apr A Charlton Athletic  

Fri 7 Apr H Peterborough United  

Mon 10 Apr A Barnsley  

Sat 15 Apr H Portsmouth  

Tue 18 Apr H Plymouth Argyle  

Sat 22 Apr A Bolton Wanderers  

Sat 29 Apr H Sheffield Wednesday  

Sun 7 May A Lincoln City

• edited February 2023

Hopefully Barnsley's schedule catches up on them too, playing 4 of the top 5 at home over the next7 games!

Throw in us away in there too and it's about as tough as they could back to back, unless more of the games were away.

Derby H

Bristol Rovers A

Portsmouth H

Plymouth H

Wycombe A

Sheff Wed H

Ipswich H