Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• Gareth Ainsworth tactically outstanding. So many good performances from the players but the system was simply brilliant.

• About to go onto the other thread for MoM,but a quick shout out to Grimmer who was terrific and looked way better than their centre halves which considering he is a right back should be applauded!

Will obviously vote Anis though 😂

• Karl Robinson seemed to be watching a different game tonight where Oxford were the better team of course

• Just been on their forum, hilarious. They want the fat Scouser out but totally deluded “I’d take Lampard right now” unbelievable who do they think they are?

• Not a lot of love for KR on the yellow forum.

• Very strong all round performance. Best Vokes has played this season, but then it was probably the best service he's received. Really not sure what Oxford were thinking leaving Mehmeti in so much space time and time again! It was never going to end well for them.

Lots of MoTM candidates, a special mention to McCarthy. He's a bit of an unsung hero at time and tonight I thought he was exceptional.

• For so many reasons I’d love to see Lampard go there

• Agreed, but according to one poster he can’t even control a football!

• edited January 2023

More than one.

I know the bbc Oxford commentary team are biased but they described Macca as ‘Bambie on ice” at one point.

• I don’t want to pick an argument with you but I think your recent criticism of McCarthy was very harsh. You don’t get to have a career like the one he’s had if you can’t control a football.

• Just saw the 50 second snippet interview with Karl Robinson… apparently his midfield won the battle.

Ouch!

Just fell off my chair!

• As you’ve said before. But as someone else also said elsewhere his control seems to have gone backwards over the past couple of seasons. Just seems a lot less composed than the player we sold to Millwall, his difficult time there really set him back.

• That was a great match. First half superb, Vokes and Wheeler played well together and having two who could sin headers caused problems for the Oxford defence.

Wheeler going near post drew the defenders and allowed Vokes to score unmarked from the Mehmeti cross.

Why do we then step off the gas second half and let Oxford back in? Max booked for time wasting about ten minutes into the second half showed our intent and had Oxford scored it would have made for a nervy final period.

Liked the line up tonight and although I’m a big McCleary fan, well done Gaz for mixing it up tonight.

• I’ve voted for Anis and agree that, in an all round highly energetic and competitive performance, Grimmer, Tafazolli and (inevitably) Scowen were outstanding. But I thought Lewis Wing also had one of his best games this evening and that Is a great compliment because he has been improving steadily this season and if he could keep his shots down a bit he would be up there with the regular vote winners.

• Whoops ! Tiredness has crept in. That should have been on the MOTM thread of course.

Goodnight.

• I think I am right in saying that even if we finish 7th-10th it would be our fifth highest finish ever, four of which would have come under GA. Some going, considering how difficult the season has been overall. I still think it is going to be very tough to catch Bolton and/or Barnsley (especially with others breathing down our necks) but we have made a decent fist of it and have some very memorable wins this season no matter what.

• Just a word on Max. On their forum pre-match, one of their fans pointed out his distribution as a weakness (I can’t remember the exact word but it was rather harsh) and I know a number of fans on here would agree, but his pass for Anis’ goal was sublime.

• I thought the ref was decent as well, tried to let the game flow, quickly stopped any time wasting (silly yellow for Max) and actually made players move back for throw ins ! All the time with a big smile on his face which I always think is a good thing

• Robinson proved he’s not a frequent gasroom visitor by putting one man on Mehmeti. That’s only gonna end up one way old chap.

10 outstanding performances and one slightly mneh.

• Robinson’s a funny character isn’t he. In the post match, both he and his captain claimed that Oxford were the better side. What they don’t appreciate is it’s actually a skill of Ainsworth that he makes his opposition believe that. Aside from that chance in the first half, it was relatively routine for us defensively - we allowed them the ball because we know just how solid we can be at the back.

We are a fine example of how there is only one important statistic in football and that’s the one they stick on the scoreboard.

• We get this nearly every time we win, If they had defended a bit better, not made a mistake or two and missed the odd chance they would have won etc, etc, laughable really, as if keeping goals out of your net and scoring in the other one aren't quite important bits of the game of football. In reality as we know we are usually more than happy to sit off teams when we are ahead and let them pass it between them, even better if they do that far from goal and then keep ballooning the ball over the bar from all angles when they do attack.

• An absolute belter from Yellows Forum:

"So, the Wycombe formula:

No room for developing young players. Back four average age 30"

12 hours after they were ripped to shreds by 22 year old Anis Mehmeti.

• I have heard various commentators say that officials have been told to allow more physical contact, which certainly seemed the way last night. Haven't seen this officially though. The game is a lot better as a result and funny how players turn from feigning fouls to getting more stuck in.

• I must say I had no problem finding a seat in the upper tier, fair play to the club, they made it work with minimal fuss. I actually enjoyed seeing the game from the high angle, it was much easier to see the formation and tactics.

It was also fun to sit amongst a different group of fans. A particular highlight was the chap behind me belting out ‘You can stick your Timmy Mallet up your ar&e’ after the second goal.

• He does go on to say

”Unfortunately, it works, I thought it was men against boys last night, what a s**t night”

However he does have a point. In the last four years because of the way they play and players they sign they have made about 10M more profit from player sales than we have.

Imagine if Ainsworth can improve this aspect of his running of the club. It’s a catch 22 though because you then regularly lose your best players every season.

The Oxford forum is a delight with some now reverting back to the normal comments but other Oxford fans completely disagreeing.

• I think a lot of that comes down to our fans. "Excuse me, you are in my season ticket seat. Oh gosh, I am so sorry. I'll move. No no, you shuffle along one and I'll sit here. ". A lot of club's fans would not be so pleasant dare I say.

• It's not all on Ainsworth, it's about being to bring in these prospects in the first place, either through an academy or buying up young local talent. Not really catch 22 if it pays for replacements btw.

• Agreed.

Not so easy to get replacements working to the same quality as players sold for millions but it is certainly the only way this club can continue to compete in League One without making huge losses.

• I am amazed at those people having a go at us not bringing through youth when both Chris Forino and Anis Mehmeti have scored against them this season.

The bottom line is we outplayed them and totally outsmarted them. They had to take their right back off at HT as he had been booked and was dazed and confused after being given a right royal run around by young Anis.

Even their own fans were singing that they had a shot. They were totally controlled.