Skip to content

Club engagement local town

13»

Comments

• I have been to many clubs who have a greater presence in the town centre than we have, be that a shop selling merchandise and tickets (the most expensive option but probably the most effective) or simply stickers/posters in shop windows and pubs etc. We once had a banner near the Holiday Inn at Handy Cross and another near the railway station but they disappeared a long time ago.

• New chant for The Terrace

”Chairlift. Easy Access. Chairlift. Easy Access”

The Frank Adams to join in half heartedly just as the chant dies down.

• That’s another idea I have put forward. On any given weekend there will be hundreds of football fans travelling into London to watch their favourite clubs in the capital, what do they do when their team is playing away from home?

• Vince Cable and Jimmy Carr?

• The Managing Director of Stannah Stairlifts

• Perhaps a list of the worst players ever to play for Wycombe?

Steve Compton, Rowan Dodds, Trevor Aylott, Mark Foran?

• Carlos Lopez!

• When we did the Penalty Shoot outs in the real goals, the home and away fans who weren't in the loos or getting something to eat did engage with the teens / kids taking the pens.

Even against the roughest of fans from Millwall, Col U, etc al. it was the one situation where there wasn't any crude 'banter' and everyone seemed to have a good time.

I reject the belief that it damaged the pitch. Players from Under 14 and down don't have the body mass to actually damage the turf. If there is a squad 15 + then get them along at the beginning of the season??

I think a reason why is stopped was cost. I recall my club needed to pay a figure (believe it was £100+) pre-trust takeover, all of the costs increase from then and for a kids team, it became too much

• Its alright! We have an American owner who 'knows' someone 😉

• Just got the train back from O****d and it's so obvious that the landscape surrounding West Wycombe needs the Chairboylift

• Part of the problem with getting new people into Adams Park, given its invidious location, is that the club have made it considerably easier to watch online.

I used to commute from south east London a dozen times a season. Each time cost at least £50 with train fare and ticket price and I needed to carve out seven hours of my day, with the stress of then getting back to town for evenings at the theatre etc when matches overran, especially when the mainline was out of service.

I kept up with that until the club started encouraging people to watch via VPN (or if not explicitly encouraging, certainly giving cheeky nods towards it). Now I only need carve out 105 minutes each Saturday and I save a minimum of £40 each time. On one hand it means I watch more matches - on the other, far less money goes into the club and there's one less person on the terrace. I can't be alone in having reduced my visits from Adams Park from a dozen-plus a season to a handful. It's a shame but the pros outweigh the cons if you live out of town.

• Shhhhhh

• It was Crompton or Steve Trumpton after his displays

• The old chestnut.

concentrate on deals for school groups, football teams, scouts and so on because you have to do something and hope for a successful run and promotion because a bandwagon is the only way to get most adults these days off their fat backsides.

• I propose some sort of deal with Sportscrest sports shop in Eden. A tie up selling WWFC replica kits , merchandise and match day tickets. There’s your town Centre presence sorted.

• If Arsenal win the Premiership we'll lose a whole generation of Wycombe children which means we need to burn the Emirates to the ground. Bang goes our chances of winning any Green cups but that's realpolitik for you. While we're in London we could steal the Docklands Cable Car and install it as a form of ski lift over here. Win-win.

• That was tried before but when Sportscrest were on the upper floor.

Not sure why the kit deal with them didn't work out.

• Talking of banners. Anyone know where the 'wycombe til I die' one is

• Build a park and ride somewhere up Booker way, get a few of these and problem sorted

https://www.foremost.ca/foremost-mobile-equipment/wheeled-vehicles/terra-bus/

• edited January 2023

Arsenal are very impressive (which keeps our son-in-law and grandson happy) but it’s impossible for them to win the Premiership. Wrong ball.

• edited January 2023

Two ideas.

Facilitate the Chairgirls making links with local schools. As part of this outreach ask them to research what it would encourage and what would stop girls / young women coming to watch football at Adams Park.

Consider organising a double header - like in the Hundred cricket matches with a women's matched played before the men's match on a Saturday, (with an appropriate gap).

51% of the population.

• I've not been following this thread closely but just to throw in that the Club/Trust have organised access to a warm hub with a free meal on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. I'd certainly also classify that as reaching out to the local community, if not in a football sense. Certainly to be applauded.