Skip to content

Rovers still bitter about the "lighting incident" 3 years ago

But to be fair I suppose we would be as well if it happened to us.

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/3670/wycombe?page=1

Nice one Stan ( the ex H&S man)

Incidentally I wasn't at that game, but strangely I was in Bristol listening to it on BBC Radio Bristol, and the commentators were saying they were worried the game was about to be called off by the ref due to a waterlogged pitch?
What do folk who wee at the game remember, was Stan right to call it off?

Comments

• What Bellend posted that shit with a Southend badge. Why go a and stir up old shit, whoever wrote that is a bigger tosser than you can ever imagine.

• I don't know why people even bother with the likes of the Bristol Rovers forum or the football 'banter' Facebook group? They are mostly just full of morons posting total bollocks. Surely there are better ways to spend time?

• The rain did resemble a plague, but I don't recall any lightning. It did seem slightly fishy as we were 3-1 down and playing turgidly.

• There was loads of rain, to the point where the puddles slowed or even nearly stopped the ball in some area's of the pitch. There was some lightning behind the dreams stand.

• @prufrock_91 Probably the loudest clap of thunder I'd ever heard, with almost simultaneous lightning right by the Dreams stand. Also, standing water on a par or even worse than that at Pompey a couple of years ago.

• Funny no mention of them attempting to take legal action over our dealings with agents etc!!! Has that slipped their minds?!!

• Amusing thing is that they are saying that they had the quarters first, but we had in 1929, they didnt get until 1931

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Wycombe_Wanderers/Wycombe_Wanderers.htm

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_Rovers/Bristol_Rovers.htm

• @Gordon_Ottershaw ".......folks who wee at the game...." may have been partly responsible for the waterlogging.

• There was definitely a lot of standing water and thunder, lightning the lot. Probably right to call it off although were the fans actually safer remaining inside the ground than leaving at that point?

• The odd thing about this game was that the referee continued to play on in the middle of a storm with lightning overhead, absolutely reckless. I think he should have taken the players off and waited for a few minutes to see if the storm would pass. I was surprised it was called off, I believe the away stand was hit by lightning, but I think Rovers have a justifiable gripe. We would have been exactly the same.

• The thing is though that Rovers think WWFC cheated, and only called the game off because we were losing, despite this being an early season game in August, with so many games still to play the accusation of cheating is ridiculous, regardless of whether the decisions to abandon was correct or not.

I don't think our H&S man at the time (Stan ?) would have given the current score a second thought when he made that decision. More a case of he had the power to call it off so he did, more of a jobsworth than anything else.

• Exactly right, he wouldn't have cared about the score. IMHO, having had some quality training in Health and Safety issues, it was an overreaction. To think we cheated is just daft really.

• But then they think we cheated by using the Matt Phillips money to pay off debts rather than strengthen our squad so it's clear that they're a bunch of stupid fuckwits anyway.

• I also think calling it off didn't help us. If we'd lost - as we would have done - from memory of the runes at the time I think Waddock would have gone a few weeks earlier

• They never stop whinging, getting so boring listening or hearing anything relating to Brizzle Gas Rovers. Bloody who had quarters 1st lol.

• Wycombe quarters 1929, Bristol quarters 1931. I sometimes think about putting it on their forum but I'm sure they'd sue the 1929 team for inventing a time machine and stealing them from the future... Great Scott!

• No surprise seeing these new football league clubs trying to create an artificial rivalry with the more established sides. Oxford have been at it for years...

• It would raise the general tone on here if all mention of Bristol Rovers were banned plus one or two others. There seems to be a strange obsession about them.

• It's the new Col U. It's nice to finally have something bordering on a rival after years of hoping things would spice up between us and Oxford/Col U/MK Dongs/Slough.

• I would include all of them in the mix, I remember when Marlow were big rivals (many moons ago). If there had been this sort of thing then they would have been in the firing line.

• @wingnut What is lower league football but a strange obsession anyway? And as for Rovers, you know that this time last year they were basically trying to force us out of business with the most spurious of legal claims...

• Yes agreed but I suggest it's time to move on. Ignoring them would be more annoying surely that to keep sniping away

• I believe that the spurious attempts by the rovers board to get us a points deduction gives us far more right to feel aggrieved.
    And the long standing theft of our quarters is nothing short of scandalous.