Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• That is a tremendous save. He's got some style the lad.

• Head to head PPG, 2022/23:

Wycombe: 3

Peterborough: 0

• CHEER UP ALAN SWANN, OH WHAT CAN IT MEAN...

• Bit risky from Taff really. Could have been a needless red card.

Brilliant away performance. Everyone did their defensive work brilliantly, including Stryjek with a key save at 1-0.

Tactics spot on. Midfield tenacious and dominant. Magnificent.

I thought the drumming was pretty good today as well!

Must admit that after ten games I was very worried about the way we were playing and thought we looked more like bottom 6 than top 6 material. Clearly I was wrong. We’re back to our best and look in great shape for the rest of the season.

• To paraphrase a famous Norwegian commentary from many years ago ‘Darragh MacAnthony; Adrian Durham; Alan Swann, we gave your boys one hell of a beating!’

Just back, excellent display and result and the travelling fans were absolutely superb. Delighted to see that glasshalfempty has cheered up as well! Happy new year.

• Definitely hitting his knee.

• To put that result in perspective, before today Peterborough had won 7 of 9 home games, scoring an average of 2 goals per game and conceding fewer goals at home than any team in the division.

• I think an enormous amount of credit goes to GA and co for recognizing our "problem" over Christmas. We have come through some really tough fixtures and with the early season results, we would have been out of the race if they hadn't had managed that as they have.

Top class management.

• Every player won their individual battles today. And that includes a few early levellers as they used to be called. Both teams battled physically and the ref just let the battles play out. Sure there are fouls but to both team’s credit the theatrics were non existent.

I can see why the Peterborough fans are pissed off. To see your team lose to a better side means you just put your hands up to see them out battled hurts. The second half the more we pushed them the more they retreated. A 20million centre half looked very ordinary today. Unless Tafazoli is worth 40

• Now that was a fun day out! Must be our finest second half performance in a long time. Taf, Scowen and Wing standout for me, JJ, Max and Wheels not far behind. I couldn’t really work out the system, but it seemed to work! I guess Wheels was right wing back, but he tucked in a lot and Grimmer didn’t get much cover. Thankfully their left winger had no end product whatsoever! Wonderful.

• I think Wheeler was man marking their LWB (number 16 I believe).

• What made the match even more enjoyable was our surprising lack of game management. 1-0 up Peterborough were no doubt bracing for a masterclass in the dark arts. Not a masterclass in free flowing attacking football. Let’s not forget that Anis had a 1 on 1 saved and Vokes missed a ‘sitter’. It could have been an embarrassment for the mighty Posh.

• An EVEN GREATER embarrassment I would say!

• Here's the latest from our friend, Mr. Swann: Note the incorrect spelling of 'forward'. Just about sums him up.

"It was a margin of victory that didn’t look likely at the break as Posh looked the better side against visitors who relied on the hump forwad and seeing how many holding and shirt pulling offences they could get away with (lots as it happened)."

• In fairness to Mr Swann, we were organised and solid 1st half, but that's about all the positives you could say. Peterborough were the better side. 2nd half was a completely different story, we were excellent and the 3 goal winning margin was well deserved. Reminded me somewhat of the home fixture where we turned it on and outplayed them 2nd half.

As for the Taf / JCH battle. I thought both players gave as good as they got. Yes Taf did have a hold of his shirt a few times, but JCH was also guilty of holding Taf on occasions. I think the ref was happy to let them get on with it!

• Losing 3-0 at home meant even Swann couldn't be 100% anti. Even he had to give us some grudging praise in a few of his little tweets.

• A lot of the Peterborough fans were quite complimentary of us, at least on one of their forums anyway. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge that the better team on the day won.

• Good to see Taf not engaging in any of that 'no celebrating against your old club' nonsense. I'm sure @Shev is delighted.

• Sometimes it's better to take the higher ground and act respectfully, even if the resipient is undeserving.

In this instance, though,I find it more effective to just ignore the odious individual.

• It took a lot of willpower on my part not to go and find him In the press box yesterday, but you are right.

• Spot on @Twizz. The man is a nobody spouting nothings.

• We have already left him and his club in our rear view mirrors (6-1).

• I might add that he also insulted me personally in an exchange of emails so I have another reason to have a grievance against him.

• He certainly comes across as classy guy!!

• edited January 2023

Indeed I am! To see him celebrate like he is in love with Wycombe instead of pining for his old posh girlfriend was heartwarming.

• Swann (and the whiney owner at times) give the club a bad name. I don't particularly hate Peterborough otherwise - the fans seem fairly reasonable compared to the average (though I did read the Derby forum a lot last season which sets a very low bar for intelligence and logic), and they always seem to play an attractive, attacking style.

They are a bit like Plymouth and Oxford for me - I feel like I am supposed to dislike them, but don't really. That feeling within our division is reserved for Derby, Milton Keynes and Bristol Rovers (for as long as Joey McGiggles is the manager).

• I should also point out how gracious the much maligned Barry Fry was at the end, came over to congratulate Wycombe directors and guests.