Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

13»

Comments

• Sutton was excellent in commentary, and that twitter thread underlines his credentials for sure.

• I enjoy a percentage qualification when doing an insult. It’s very fashionable

The analysis is excellent and echoes most thoughts on here. Wing excellent - not enough excellence. Vokes and McCleary fantastic talents not always playing fantastically.

We all know we are stealing Mawson, Mehmeti and Scowen from a higher level. Long may that continue but I doubt it.

• Couple of thoughts on yesterday, although it probably isn't too much of a game to dwell on.

Firstly, I thought Grimmer did an outstanding job in making sure that Jack Diamond hardly got a kick. It's definitely one aspect of his game that is stronger than McCarthy's. Unfortunately, it meant we lost Grimmer as an attacking option - where he was absolutely outstanding last week carrying the ball forward. Since we were targetting Wheeler on that side so often, I think we really missed him there.

Second, we've got to work out how to move the ball better out from the back. Max's kicking is variable, but teams have worked out how to show him onto his weaker foot and put pressure on. Taf had a good game, one slip aside, but he gave Obita some horrible passes to deal with. Obita then ended up putting it out for throw-ins or hitting it nowhere near a team mate. I get that with Hanlan up front rather than Vokes the pass needs to be diagonal towards Wheeler rather than straight through the middle, but I feel we invited the press with some poor touches and slightly inaccurate passing between defenders and keeper. Maybe Wing could have come a bit closer to help them out. It's not glamorous but I think we all recognise that accurate long passes are an essential part of the way we play.

Overall, a good point and I reckon we'll give Ipswich a good game next weekend.

• It was an even game in bitterly cold conditions. Lincoln worked extremely hard to stop us. Equally we had to work very hard as well. A point was a fair result.

One area we need to improve on is anticipating or gambling on us winning the header. Three or four times in each half We won headers which were knocked down into an excellent attacking position. Far too often we had no runners gambling or only going for the ball too late.

it’s very similar with runners into the box, we get into some good wide positions but invariably there is no one in the box.

will be a good game next week against Ipswich.