4. Freeman - 8.40
  5. Mehmeti - 8.10

Overall MOTM awards:

1. Mawson - 4
  2. Stryjek - 3
  3. Wing - 3
  4. Forino - 3
  5. Mehmeti - 2

I suspect Alfie has the inside track on Player of the Season given his overall performance, though Scowen would be pushing harder without all that lost time to injury. That being said, Josh has not won a MOTM in his 11 starts. If Mehmeti stays, one would think he has a shot too.

The 'big four' this season clearly appear to be Mawson, Mehmeti, Stryjek and Scowen based on the voting to date, though Lewis Wing does appear in two of the top fives. Forino, like Scowen, has not played enough, though he has been fantastic when he has.

Comments

• edited December 2022

Mawson could run away with it

1) if he stays fit

2) assuming mehmeti leaves in Jan

I think Tafazolli has been very underrated.

• Whether Mehmeti departs in January may depend (said he, clutching at straws) on whether or not results in the meantime indicate potential to make/stay in the playoffs. He is still very young, is developing steadily at a club where I assume he feels settled and relaxed and may perhaps be open to persuasion to stay until the end of the season. I’d like to think he would recognise the mutual benefit to both himself and Wycombe Wanderers of doing so.

Alternatively, as has already been suggested by at least one fellow Gasroomer, he could possibly be loaned back until the end of the season by whichever club he signs for.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer (nor one turkey 🦃 make Christmas) but I find myself infused (enthused even) with a new- found spirit of optimism. Just on the strength of last Sunday’s performance.

I expected at the start of the season to be having similar thoughts about Forino but his susceptibility to injury has started to become a genuine concern. Sincerely hope he makes a full and sustainable recovery.

• The conundrum in the does Mehmeti stay/go situation is the nearer he gets to the end of his contract the less likely a club is to pay money - they could just wait a bit and pick him up as a free agent.

While I want him to continue playing for WWFC for as long as possible we also have to maximise any transfer fee we receive.

• One thing I noticed on Sunday from the Sky commentators to comments on social media and even @bluntphil interview with Gaz was an almost joint effort to push the “Anis will be sold in January” start bidding theme

• Good point. I wonder if they already know bids are imminent, so they are trying to put other would-be buyers on alert for the best possible price?

• Football scouts aren’t daft. With the increased prevalence of data-focused roles in football, it’s likely that teams will be all over Mehmeti. He’s already playing at mid-table Championship standard minimum. His potential is premier league level. I think he’s getting to a stage now where he’s arguably better than Twine was (in open play).

• I know we are all concerned with bids for Anis but I would also be concerned about losing Mawson to a cheeky bid.

He has the potential to play another 3-5 years at Championship level as he's only 28 and we've seen no injury issues in 4 months. A Championship team could see some benefit to buying him in Jan for 300-500k and giving him a 3 year contract, especially if they are in need of an experienced CB to keep them up.

• Mawson, Taffazolli, Scowen, Mehmeti and Vokes could all comfortably hold their own in the championship

I'd be turning down anything but the most ludicrous of bids. Keep this squad together and promotion is a very real possibility

• There's no way Anis doesn't have a release clause, so it'll probably be out of our hands

• I wouldn't know, but if he does I hope it was set at a level that realistically reflects his value

• Forino certainly has the potential to join that group over the next couple of years

• Not sure Vokes could any more. Love him at Wycombe but doubt he is a Championship standard striker at present.