Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• Excellent performance today after the disappointment of the Cheltenham game. Definitely the response I was hoping for and believed we would see. COYB

• I thought this as well at times Jack was cutting through them at will.

• Gaz in his post match when asked about Anis leaving in January: “bring it on and bring your cheque book with £5m, £6m, £7m…”

• A flip though Twitter basically has every team’s fans calling for Mehmeti to be signed. Fulham, fair do’s. QPR, maybe. Birmingham, might need to sort out the cash flow first. Oxford, ehhhh we will get back to you.

• Well done lads a really good team performance. Walk out down Hillbottom Road after the game was a lot more pleasant than the one when we played them last year.

• Really good solid performance today and a thoroughly deserved win. Mehmeti excellent of course, but everyone played well.

Some are saying McCleary was poor and for sure he was well short of his best on the ball, but he worked his socks off and the goal was a just reward for the effort he put in.

• I don’t understand the McCleary haters today. He played a vital role in defensive phases - completely nullifying their wing back and allowing Anis the freedom in attacking phases. I think he’s been very underrated today.

• I thought GMac did well today. He will be disappointed with some of his finishing for sure but did a great job in pressing them backwards.

They seemed to not know what to do with creative players at all. Management style probably.

• Yes the front four of Hanlan, Wheeler, Mehmeti and McCleary were very effective today and as a result we won the game - no reason to find fault really

• "haters" is a bit strong isn't it?

• Personally, I thought McCleary was well off today, yes he scored a goal before you all jump on my back, but it was laid on a plate for him

• Not jumping on your back however there is more to a game of football than the finishing you know! GMac worked very hard and whilst his finishing wasn't up there on his highlights reel, his general work ethic was immense! BTW, have a look at that finish, would have been easy to ballon that over the bar. As it was, it was right in the side netting out of reach of the keeper. 💁‍♂️

• We’ve seen those blasted over from time to time. Very cool carefully placed finish.

• Excellent result with some fine performances from Mawson, Taff, Grimmer, Scowen, Wing and Mehmeti. One thing that disappointed me was the lack of atmosphere created by the Wycombe fans. If it wasn’t for the Portsmouth fans, it would have been more like a morgue. Very little from the terrace and absolutely nothing from the Frank Adams.

• There are so many opportunities to make excuses for this, but the reality is that we could do with allowing a (skilled) drummer to help. Unfortunately, this isn’t possible.

Would I want the drum back? No. Atmosphere isn’t the be all and end all - the infighting in the terrace was toxic, derisory and too distracting.

• Think being at the game helped me appreciate McLeary's performance today. Not a critism of those watching on TV, but he did do much hard work today and that was picked up by those watching in the stadium, but wouldn't have by those at home.

• To respond to a few, yes his finish was top notch, no arguments there, not sure I saw the hard work some of you did... be boring if we all thought the same I guess, and yes, I was at the game.

• Imagine having the massed ranks of Senegalese drummers on the terrace!

• In fairness @davecz it was as cold as the morgue on the terrace today.

• edited December 2022

GA got this one spot on today, going for pace out of the gate instead of height by swapping Hanlan in for Vokes (per his interview). Vokes is fantastic, but it does make you wonder how we would look with pace as the primary option week in week out.

Either way, Hanlan is going to take over the mantle of primary striker at some point, whether next season or the one after, I expect.

• Bloody hell when did we get a morgue installed on the terrace?!

• Last few times I've been, you could have easily mistaken some of the supporters for corpses, given their complete lack of animation (sadly, me included).

• Time to rethink the instruments ban methinks?

• edited December 2022

I think when you compare those 4 players together on their performance, McCleary would come bottom of that list. While he worked hard and put in the miles on the pitch today, he did tend to give the ball away with way-ward passes more often than the other 3 or his crosses kept being blocked and there didn't seem to be an end product.

What does go into his favour is that he always worked back to try and make up for his error.

• To be fair, I think that whatever effort is put in by the terrace, the voices / songs are lost when compared to the bigger away end. I'd be interested in what would happen if the away fans were put in the terrace and home fans were put in the away stand. Would the chants and songs be more noticeable or would it highlight the issues that we have already identified?

• Yes the whole acoustics issue has always been a problem.

• edited December 2022

This acoustics/drum stuff is going to go on until we get a new stand isn't it?

Did anyone ever moan about acoustics in the last days of non league and early league days?

It seems more a case that the singing lot from say 5-6 years ago have either stopped/grown up/lost interest for some reason, and no-one has taken on their mantle?

• edited December 2022

Acoustics were always crap at AP, but not a problem for home fans as such until we doubled the size of the away end and replaced it’s roof. I don’t think the terrace has anywhere near as many people in it as the early 90’s