Skip to content

Match day thread: FGR

12346»

Comments

• Does Anis' yellow get rescinded now? He clearly got that card mistakenly for JJ's wrestling move.

• How that weasel who started the melee off, causing all this carnage, gets away with a mere yellow out of it is unreal.

• When we've budgeted for a £3m deficit this season, a few thousand pound fine is fairly insignificant!!

• I haven't seen it but once it gets to this stage and he's been charged it's unlikely to matter what happened before, it'll be about his (over) reaction

• Yeah, he'll get a 3 match ban.

I do agree though that it's ridiculous that if a player has been booked on the day then they can no longer received a bigger punishment. I've long argued that as fans we should grow up a bit and accept that referees sometimes make mistakes. "The game" should also recognise this and allow themselves to take further action if necessary after the event.

The challenge that sparked the melée was clearly a red card offence.

• I couldn't agree more. However, in this particular situation and with the rules as they are, can we not argue that Mehmeti's booking was clearly a case of mistaken identity, and therefore the referee did see the incident and deal out what he deemed the appropriate punishment at the time (i.e. a yellow card)? On that basis, JJ should at worst have the yellow card transferred to him. We can but hope...

• The FGR tackle was a straight red. IF we had not reacted he would have been dismissed. Our lack of discipline when reacting diluted attention from the specific incident. Given we had them in our pocket at the time this was very disappointing game management. JJ particularly guilty, as senior pro/skipper he should have been separating the hot heads not inflaming the situation. He gets what he deserves.

• I quite liked seeing the lads pile in to protect their team mate as it goes

All the great Wycombe sides there have ever been have had a bit of that about them

• It was the way he utterly shattered him with a really snide tackle, and THEN got in his face with some verbals.

It can't possibly have been suggesting he was faking it, as he'll have known better than anyone he'd utterly clocked him, so must have been a "have some of that" with some foul language probably.

To not expect teammates to pile in with that body of work would be unrealistic.

• @Malone having unrealistic expectations is what we are all about, didn’t you get the memo?

• All teams pile in.

it’s completely unnecessary.

not sure the guy JJ assaulted was involved in any way.

on the video JJ should have been red carded and deserves his ban

• Shows good team spirit for me

• It'd be awful to support a team where a key player can be fouled, then shouted at while laying prone on the ground and his teammates stand around watching.

• I have been expecting the FA to take further disciplinary action over the incident, and JJ getting charged for his part in it.

IMO there should be three red cards handed out. One for the original offence, JJ for violent conduct, and also one the the FGR player that punched Max Stryjek in the face (7.37 on extended match highlights).

• Scandalous. The video uploaded by Taf clearly shows that one of their players raised their hand to Max’s face. Just because he didn’t roll around on the floor…

• It feels like an injustice not that JJ is suspended, but that he is the only one suspended. The actions of their player not only with the initial tackle but his unpleasant follow up are what kicked off the whole thing.

• No game for JJ until Ipswich on Dec 17, so a whole month on the sidelines.

• Reminds me of the time Cousins was sent off for an "elbow" that was more like an accidental forearm in a standard challenge, when he was playing centre mid in the woeful Smith regime.

Some quirk of fixtures meant he sat a month out too

• Perfect timing I think. Gives him an opportunity to go to Qatar and see the only appearance of Wales in a World Cup in his lifetime

• No penalty for the ref then for his atrocious officiating and failure to apply the rules to the FGR player whose lenient treatment after a shocking tackle kicked all this off in the first place .

• No JJ, no Mawson, and no news on Forino.

McCarthy Grimmer Taff Obita ?

• Mawson is available tomorrow. He had a card rescinded and they reset after tomorrow I believe.

• In which case we needn't worry about being so secretive. Interview from the Cheltenham manager....

After a slow start, Wycombe do seem to be improving, which is no surprise is it?

"No, they are a good side with some good players. They have some really good experience. McCleary, Vokes, I know Mawson is suspended, but they have Jacobson, some really talented players and a really good manager, who has done a phenomenal job over the period of time he's been there. They started getting their squad back in recent weeks. They had a few injuries and were probably a bit short at the start of the season, but bodies have started to come back and Gareth (Ainsworth) probably now has the squad that he wants playing in the way that he wants. Good side, good test, but we'll be prepped and ready. One thing I can promise is that we'll have a go"

• Quite a fair assessment from the Cheltenham boss there!

• You're going to need to see him on the team sheet aren't you

• https://www.efl.com/news/2022/december/goal-of-the-month-november-winners

"Wycombe Wanderers winger Garath McCleary is the Sky Bet League One Goal of the Month winner for November. 

McCleary didn’t panic when the ball ran away from him. He retrieved it, then squared up a defender before executing perfectly an audacious flicked shot with the outside of his right boot.

McCleary said: “I’m over the moon to win this award and I’m really grateful to everyone who voted for me. I’ve never won this award before so it’s a proud moment. It’s my best goal for Wycombe, and in my top three of all-time I think.

“Apparently it’s called a trivela but I’ve never heard that phrase! I just caught it nicely with the outside of my boot and I knew it was flying in. Jack Grimmer made a great run down the right to move the defender out of the way and gave me the opportunity to shoot.”

Lead Sky Bet EFL Goal of the Month judge and Sky Sports Pundit Don Goodman said: “There’s always something extra special about a long-distance strike with the outside of the foot and, if anything, the ease with which Garath pulled it off underplayed what a superb goal it was.

“With the overlapping run from Jack Grimmer drawing a defender momentarily away, a tiny window of opportunity appeared. There was a lot still to do but the quality that McCleary still possesses in abundance at 35-years-old took care of the rest.

McCleary beat off competition from Fleetwood Town’s Carlos Mendes Gomes, Plymouth Argyle’s Adam Randell and Burton Albion’s Victor Adeboyejo."

• Well done GMac! That goal will live long in the memory.

One fun aspect of these past two seasons has been how many truly sensational goals we have scored.