12.00%
    11. McCleary
        0.00%
    12. Vokes
        5.33%
    13. Hanlan(sub)
        2.67%

Comments

• I'm going to start the debate by voting Hanlan.

At least he showed a bit of fight and determination, we'd become so lethargic and predictable until his arrival....

• Mehmeti for me - that amazing run in the second half had their defender tied in knots (a reef knot said @bluntphil) In a dour game Mehmeti was the gem for me

• Agreed, being the bright spark in a decent first half and an option in the second probably puts him ahead of anyone else. Can't see the ref as an option.

• Vokes for me, he scored a good goal and should have had a second with his instinctive volley.

• Not a wealth of options, I thought, but I went for Wing, who generally picked some decent passes and read the play well.

• Forino, lovely goal, and some effortless stuff.

Not entirely sure why we're complicating it for him playing a 3, but he himself did well.

• Forino class.

• edited October 2022

Good Perfomance - Mehmeti, Vokes, Max, Forino,

Above Average Performance - GMac, Wing, JJ, Hanlan

Average Performance - Mawson, Obita, Mccarthy, Freeman

Overall I think of the 4 decent performances, Mehmeti just edges it today

• Seriously... who keeps voting for McCarthy and Freeman... is it an in joke ?

• Surprised Horgan didn't get a vote the way some work 😄

• edited October 2022

Freeman's top level since returning from injury has arguably been better than ever, but he's still as inconsistent as he's always been. That's fine for a League One player, but he wouldn't be holding down a regular spot in the side if any of Scowen/Thompson/Gape were fit.

• And that is why he is League 1 level rather than higher up the pyramid...

The key difference between many Premier League, most Championship & the top end L1 players is their level of consistency, their skill levels on the whole are not wildly different.

The ability to use their skills to the max consistently, week in week out is what makes PL players.

• Chris Forino was out on his own. Can’t see him being here beyond January, he is good enough for the Championship at least.

• I went Mehmeti as he was constantly dangerous, but Forino, Vokes and Wing were all right up there.

• For sure he doesn’t get in ahead of those three. However gets in for JMac or Obita every time for me at wingback

• edited October 2022

That is spot on @Mandown. He is being played out of position but making a decent fist of it, especially when operating in more forward areas.

Forino for me.

• I thought Freeman was very good today, every cross he put in was bang on the money and he's the only one whose crosses were, again. I voted for Anis though who must be knackered after carrying most of the team.

• Anis for me too. Would we have any attacking threat without him?

• Forino, then Max.

That’s about all I’ve got to say on todays game in general. Incredibly infuriating all round.

• This is particularly worrying. The answer is a resounding no.

• edited October 2022

Somehow our main and probably most expensive attacker doesn’t look much of a threat. When you think of the constant threat that Uche Ikpeazu presented with his pace, bustle and sharpshooting on the turn you do feel a degree of disappointment. The departure of Uche and Fred was definitely a turning point.

Vokes did score 17 goals last season and might already have three or four this season had it not been for injury and, most recently, referees ! I know some people, @eric_plant in particular, cannot understand why I don’t ‘get’ him. I’m pretty sure it’s because you rarely, if ever, see him moving with the ball at his feet and taking people on. It’s the same syndrome (for me) with David Wheeler.

• That's a pretty narrow definition of what makes a good player

What did you make of Akinfenwa?

• edited October 2022

Absolutely brilliant in those first two seasons. The pairing with Kashket prompted me to say at the time that he’d make the club at least a million quid in due course. Sadly, things didn’t turn out well for Scotty. In more recent seasons, I continued to be amazed by Bayo’s heading, flick-ons and amazing close control, not to mention all those goals.

Like nearly everyone, I love the guy as an ever-cheerful, positive and inspirational human being and I was proud to be at the Swan on Wednesday evening for the premiere of the documentary about his footballing life, followed by a Q &A session.

• You never see him moving with the ball at his feet because we are always just constantly smashing it up in the air to him !!

Again, we don't play to his strengths, if we did I'd suggest we'd have a 20 goal a season striker... twice this week when we have done that, he has put the ball in the net twice, thanks to incompetent refs both were disallowed !

• I did say “rarely” @HolmerBlue.

It all comes back to the fact that there are few (if any) more exciting sights in a game of football than a skilful ball player dribbling the ball and leaving opposition players stumbling in their wake. Witness Mehmeti, McCleary, Forino and, yes, on a good day, Joe Jacobson. I’m sure there are others but those are the players who stand out.

• I too was there on Wednesday evening @micra. I mirror your thoughts about Bayo. We were fortunate to have him & his importance around the club can't be understated. The only area of disappointment for me was that the Q&A couldn't be stretched to the middle & upper tiers, which limited the Qs to former playing colleagues, VIPs & mates. Not a great problem in the grand scheme of things.

• edited October 2022

You're comparing totally different playing styles for one thing.

For that "constant threat", Uche only scored 6 in 33 for us. Would he have scored 25-30 in league 1 for us? We'll never know, but as his career total of goals is in the 50s by 27, it seems unlikely. Having only scored more than 8 goals in a season once and that was league 2.

We're blessed with Vokes. Enjoy him while he's here.

As for Wheeler he's one of these that's fallen into the utility man position, a perception he can play anywhere to equal effect. I'm not 100% sure it's true to be honest.

• I only wish I could feel blessed @Malone !