Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough (EFLTrophy)

Comments

• Ah well - two wins against Peterborough in a week. Where's Swanny?

• Maybe this was their revenge game for us beating them on Saturday? Perhaps Swann is getting the fans ready on a banner as we speak.

"3-4 Loss On Pens But Through Anyway: Justice."

• Can't remember if @Shev does man of the match threads for the shit pizza cup, but it'll be Forino by a country mile anyway. Though Mad Max was also excellent tonight.

• Oh no, whatever will we do without the pizza cup?

• Fu*k the pizza cup. Peterborough lost to our 1st team and our b team. Lost to Wycombe twice in 4 days.... hahaha what a shame 🤣

Good run out for the young lads and the fringe players. A wins a win. It breeds confidence. COYB!!!!

• Hardly a revolutionary concept but great to hear we are thinking about loans for some of the dev squad guys, def better to have competitive football, even though it’s a positive that the squad is now big enough to organise reserves games.

https://twitter.com/wwfcofficial/status/1582469390335111168?s=46&t=_YmgjAOIgASkISIj1IvUkQ

• I actually don't as I assume the Did Not Sees would be off the charts, but I agree entirely! Forino seems to get better every game, and Posh will be glad to see the back of him.

• Swanny is great at his job. Generating publicity and hits from your reactions. Leave him be. He would be a failure if you don't react. Simples.

If you reply to him, you're as sad as him, quite frankly.

• I imagine after failing to beat us this week he is still sadder right now 😂

• edited October 2022

I'd agree if he was just some random troll, but unfortunately he's also employed as a journalist. He and, by extension, the Peterborough Telegraph are waging a vendetta against Wycombe and it should be challenged (especially when that's so easy to do!).

• Decent game. Forino is a real talent and will be a Championship player at a minimum. Stryjek continues to be an excellent and assured keeper. Pattenden has definitely got something and would expect him to be a first team squad member next season. Leathers looked a good prospect again, as does Young. Wakely looking a bit more assured too. Just from a fleeting minute or two I have a feeling the debutant Christie Ward might have a lot of potential - just a feeling.

A shame we didn’t progress as it’s a good competition for the development squad. But Kaikai, Hanlan and Mellor were all too rusty to really look enough of a threat tonight. Good for their Road to recovery though.

• Like it or not it’s possible the next run out for a lot of our fringe / development players will probably be the Walsall game.

tricky things FA Cup ties for managers these days do they risk injuries for league matches or do they go for broke to get through as many rounds as possible because of the club finances.

there’s a fair wedge of money available if you get to say the third fourth or fifth round

• Disagree. If you turn your back on people who spout nonsense and carry out a vendetta that just emboldens them to continue. He deserves to be called out for his inaccurate and insulting comments about our club.

• Morning all I wasn’t at the game, what position does Christie Ward play?

• edited October 2022

I agree with all of that.

In particular, I was glad to hear what you said about Christie Ward. To be honest, I looked at the list of substitutes and wondered if we’d signed an out of contract player. Then @bluntphil referred on commentary to the fact that he was a youngster (signed in the summer from a south coast club - can’t remember which) where he had been identified as having great potential but had been plagued with injury and/or illness (?).

Like you, @Quarterman, perhaps prejudiced by @bluntphil’s “reminder”, I noticed that he seemed to have that rare combination of skill and very quick feet to be able to nick the ball and retain it in a melee of two or three players. But, seconds later, the referee blew the final whistle. A tantalising glimpse.

• Brockenhurst

• edited October 2022

Thanks @ReturnToSenda. I knew it was somewhere pretty unlikely! The Beaconsfield of the south coast, perhaps (in football terms), albeit a much smaller (but pretty) town. I should have remembered. Our daughter lived there for a few years when the grandchildren were wee.

• Ward had a heart condition as a young teenager, otherwise he would be at Southampton, so I’m informed.

• I wasn't at the game last night but after watching the highlights, our team look physically smaller than Peterborough's or is that just the camera angle?

I know there's nothing / very little we can do with a person's height but in some situations, it does help to be a physically bigger unit?

• @micra Just a fleeting glimpse of Ward for sure but the couple of times he touched the ball his control was like silk. He’s an attacking midfielder. I confess I had no idea who he was either but thanks @perfidious_albion for the background. Hopefully and most importantly his health issues are behind him so he can live a normal life, but I just have a strong feeling we could have another star on our hands.

• Did we win any prize money for winning on pens last night?

Or does the prize money only come from getting through rounds?

A few years ago i'm sure there was quite decent money for winning single ties, in the days we really treasured every penny.

I think that element has been lost a bit post Couhigs, but every little helps still.

• I’m sure Phil said something like £5k, not sure if you get any extra for winning group games.

• Drawn matches are £5K to each side I believe.

• Yes, £10k for a win and £5k (each) for a draw

• I believe the PL U21 teams don't qualify for prize money if they win or draw

• @Quarterman Ward was given rigorous medical checks before he was signed, just this was what took him off the big boys radar.

• I trust @Quarterman's judgement of players as much as anyone's, so I'm now expecting big things from Christie Ward!