Skip to content

The times they are a changing

Lee Harrison gone. Another big character from around the club. With Bloomers gone to add to Stockdale, Stewart and Bayo the club has lost a lot of key people recently.

Comments

• Waiting for Blooms to poach Gaz and Dobbo next! But seriously, it wouldn’t surprise me if a few of the younger boys ended up going there on loan for the second half of the season.

• The cheek of Blooms haha. Goes to a rival, then poaches our GK coach.

All jokes aside, we forget that these people are just human. For Lee it turns a 2 hr commute into 20 minutes. For many of us that’d be a no-brainer.

As Gary says I’d like to see a few of our development players go to Col U - could be great for the likes of AAH / Wakely / Leathers to get regular minutes in a competitive league, although with the squad the way it is at the moment they may all be needed for first team depth. I think Wakely is only one injury away from starting for us.

• I do like the idea of Colchester as our development club / B team

• edited October 2022

That presents some tantalizing possibilities:

From 'The History of Rivalries' published 2032:

'Wycombe and Colchester enjoyed an intense rivalry for many years, originating in the Conference and continuing when both clubs were in the EFL. However, the rivalry took an unlikely turn into an alliance in 2022, when Wycombe realized that a feeder club like Colchester could help develop their talent and push them into the Championship, while Colchester realized that receiving talent on loan from a better run club in a higher division could help them avoid relegation into the Conference.

Touchingly, upon Wycombe's promotion to the Premier League in 2027, Colchester received a little rosette to commemorate the various loanees who played for them before Bloomfield left in 2025 and they dropped into the Conference South.'

• Do we have any other players or staff that live a lot closer to Col Utd than us out of interest?

• The times they are a changing by Bob Dylan, featured in that classic Loakes Park Video.

• edited October 2022

I saw Bob Dylan at Earls Court in June1981- queued all night on Bonds Street for tickets - and even then he seemed an old man (ok, he was only 40).

I hadn't started working back then and have now already semi-retired. So to see that he is still touring at age 81 is quite astonishing.

The times they are a changing indeed!

https://youtu.be/t2KIkhctbBY

• Dylan was a huge influence on me growing up, but when I saw him in Vegas (around 2009-2010), we walked out halfway through because he was so atrocious! It reminded me of when footballers fall off a cliff.

• Saw Dylan live around the same time (Sheffield). Apart from a cracking version of My Back Pages have to agree he wasn’t that good.

The last album is however superb.

• Saw Dylan at Wembley 1984. I say ‘saw’ but we were right at the back so a little hard to make out what was going on. I just looked the gig up online and apparently Santana was on the bill. Must have been even duller than usual because I don’t recall him at all. UB40 were ok though and we missed most of Nick Lowe (shame).

Dylan got the big names out at the end- Van Morrison, Chrissie Hynde and Eric bloody Clapton. I was pretty unmoved by it all.

• I was there too! 3rd row in the middle. He was an hour late coming on and I nearly missed my last train home. Brilliant songs but he does act like a complete tw*t at times.

• There was a lovely Dylan anecdote told on the Alexei Sayle podcast recently that went something along the lines of...

There was a point when Bob Dylan was living in Crouch End that Dave Stewart from the Eurythmics was lodging pretty nearby too. Dave invited Bob round to visit, so Bob popped round to see him. A lady answered the door and Bob said "Is Dave home?", she replied "He's not back from work yet, shouldn't be long though. Would you like to come in and wait?". So, Bob Dylan sat in the front room for an hour or so, chatting, drinking tea and eating biscuits with the lady who'd answered the door. Eventually, Dave turned up home from work, wondered into the front room and found his wife chatting to Bob Dylan. Unfortunately Bob had the wrong house and it was an entirely different Dave.