Skip to content

Street Child World Cup

Hello all, I am an avid reader of the gasroom but have never posted before. I have been prompted to do so by my forthcoming trip to Doha for the Street Child World Cup (SCWC). You may have seen Phil Catchpole interviewing me about it in the last ‘Pre-Match Drills’.

The SCWC brings together teams of street-connected children to play a football competition in the location of ‘the’ world cup. This year 28 teams (girls and boys) from 25 countries will be taking part. Alongside the football there is an arts programme and human rights workshops.

The SCWC aims to tackle the stigma faced by street-connected children, raise awareness and understanding of their situation, and enable them to campaign in their countries for access to education, protection from violence, birth registration and gender equality.

As part of our participation volunteers (ie me) fundraise for the charity so I have walked from Wembley to Adams Park (around 28 miles – one for each team) and swum 250 lengths (10 for each country taking part). SCWC is a great event and really makes a difference to the children taking part.  I would really appreciate it if you could sponsor me.  All donations, however small, will be welcome.

The link to my just giving page is: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ckipping

Thank you

Comments

• Donation sent.

Keep up the great work, Cheryl.

• Thank you to those people that have sponsored me - it's not too late if you would like to!

I am now in Doha and the teams are arriving. If you are interested in following some of what is going on you can do so on the Street Child United Instagram account.

The draw for the competition is being held on 8th. Games are going to be live-streamed. Once I have a link for these I will post it.