Skip to content

Portsmouth (H) moved to Friday 2 December

2»

Comments

• Yeah, the rankings are pretty flawed. There's no way the US are the 14th-best team in the world.

• There's certainly no way we're the 5th best side in the world

• Not trying to have a go at anyone - merely trying to come up with the best solution that minimises disruption to fans & creates the best attendance for Wycombe.

The decision to award the World Cup was an abomination but it is what it is now & we have to try & make the best of it. It’s incredibly difficult when you don’t know whether a potential England game will be on the Friday or Saturday?

I’m sure Portsmouth will sell their allocation whenever it is held but the inconvenience will inevitably put some people off.

• Meant to say England game on the Saturday or Sunday!

• So just to summarize, FIFA awarded the World Cup, the supposed crown jewel of the sport (maybe even all of sport) to a country which:

1. Has significant human rights abuses.
    2. Did not have suitable venues.
    3. Would not have qualified for the WC off their own back, thereby messing with the balance of their group.
    4. Would require an off-schedule WC that would wreck the fixture calendars for pretty much every

Anything else I am missing? They pretty much gave the tournament to the worst possible candidate in history, unless North Korea chucked in a cheeky bid at some point.

• It’s going to feel odd telling our grandchildren that the last good World Cup was in Russia.

• On point 3, Qatar aren't that bad a side now - but would they have improved had it not been for hosting the WC? 🤷

• edited September 2022

FIFA actually wanted North Korea to be a co-host in 2002. And there could be a South Korea-China-Japan-North Korea bid for 2030.

• I've heard the moon is also in contention

• Not enough is made of 'Qatar' sounding like 'guitar' imho

• Try saying 'Qatari guitarist' over and over

• In that case, Qatar Airways missed a trick in not being named Air Qatar...

• That said, this is the first time since 1934 (literally the second World Cup ever) that the hosts are tournament debutants.

• LX1LX1
    edited September 2022

I watched my first real world cup

Whilst social media turned real red

Was the winter of twenty-two

Me and some guys from school

Bought tickets in the Pompey end

Jimmy quit and Jody got found out

They both got banned by the Club

Oh, when I look back now

That winter seemed to last forever

And if I had the choice

Yeah, I'd always wanna be there

Those were the best days of my life

Ain't no use in complainin'

When Rob's got a job to do

I spent my evenings down at the Falcon

Even though they don't show bbc2, yeah!

Bobby standing, shaking maa'ms gloves

She told me it would last forever

Oh when he shook her hand

He knew that Qatar would be clever

Those were the best days of my life!

Back in the winter of 22

• Gareth Southgate seems a very nice guy but I wouldn’t leave him alone with my Sega Football Manager while I went to make a cup of tea.

• Because he might get you to a world cup semi final and Euro final while you're gone?

• Well, by the time I found a packet of digestives and got back he’d be giving the exit press conference to a can of lynx, and a sleeping cocker spaniel.