Skip to content

Trying to make positives out of a big negative.

Firstly, congratulations to all concerned for a fantastic effort this season - albeit with a cruel twist of fate at the end. To see us play at Wembley in front of 38,000 at the end of the season would have been unheard of last August. But the simple fact is we lost - and are still a League Two club. I'm still finding it desperately hard to hide the disappointment.

Nevertheless, we have an amazing number of games next season within easy reach, so our away support should be really healthy. The club has awoken the footballing public of Bucks with our Wembley appearance and the club MUST capitalise on it. With so many local games next season we should have some good crowds too. However, to achieve what we've done this season will be extremely hard. Big city clubs like Portsmouth and Plymouth are bound to make a significant challenge next season.

The most important thing for WWFC next season is to get the club back on track financially. I've every confidence in Gareth Ainsworth to provide a side that will punch above its weight. But we've GOT to average over 5,000 next season for home games. The games against the likes of Morecambe and Accrington have got to be discounted with the away end open to schools, junior football clubs etc to swell the gate. If we have a home game on Boxing Day or New Year's Day we should start selling tickets in August under the banner of "Sell out Adams Park over Christmas".

There are still very significant debts to be repaid but we also need to keep a competitive team on the pitch. The club must work in conjunction with the Trust to ensure the goodwill of the Play-Off Final is not lost. It's tricky, it's tough but it's a golden opportunity that mustn't be lost!

Comments

• Couldn't agree more. Have you thought about running to be on the Board? (although I'd imagine it would take up vast amounts of time). I always enjoy reading your posts and you talk a decent amount of sense!

• As a fan owed club with limited resources we are the marketing department. The club can do its bit to promote the club, but every single one of us should play our part as well.

So when the season kicks off in August, make sure you extend the invite again to the fans who came to Wembley for their first Wycombe game, or to those that come occasionally, make sure they are reminded on what they are missing, and yes not since the MoN days they are missing out from not coming. We have a great manager, a great set of supporters and a great set of players.

A lot of people follow a premier league club, they may even be a season ticket holder, but these teams have lost their roots. In my experience the atmosphere at these games is more like going to the theatre to be entertained, rather than the supporters feeling part of the game itself. A large majority of these games don't kick off at 3pm on a Saturday now, so these supporters are free.

Get them down to Adams Park, they will see a real fan owned club and the feeling that goes with it, and I will guarantee some will want to come back for more.

• I do my part, posters for every game put up at work and espousing the virtues of the light dark blue army at every chance I get to anyone who'll listen.....and those who don't!

• Good post Andy, and totally agree that we have got to capitalise on the good will factor. I believe we must agree to put a side a portion of the budget to employ someone skilled in marketing,and has the energy and desire to promote WWFC throughout Bucks. Frankly the present policy of communicating almost entirely through
    twitter is both lazy and misguided.
    I read recently that Mr Howard understands that we must get the message out there in Bucks, so hopefully after years of the same point be raised on the message boards,it will finally be adressed.