Skip to content

Substitutions

I'm becoming increasingly worried about Ainsworth's inability to influence the game. We never seem to try and change the game, I don't know whether we have any alternative plans or lack the quality, hey I'm not a manager!

It was all well and good bringing on Akinfenwa in the 77th minute and causing a bit of carnage, it seemed that lots of teams panicked and conceded goals. Now that we can bring on the extra subs, I'm surprised Ainsworth isn't using this to advantage to break games up, it was almost like the new rules were perfect for him.

Also, quite obvious he doesn't know what his best team at the moment, but he needs to figure it out. He may not be the man to take us to the next level.

Comments

• I think it's always been his biggest weakness, but I'm not sure he's become any weaker in that department - probably more a case of the extra subs making it look like that. I see Horgan was hooked again last night...

• Yeah, fairly long standing gripe, very loyal and likes consistency wether it's working or not, I think this has probably helped us at some level in the bigger picture as players know where they stand and avoids issues with the squad but infuriating when a change is needed, and every other club will use their 5 to allow players to go full pelt before being replaced, to change games, or just to wind the clock down. It also means some younger or fringe players end up staying as just that.

Weirdly we need to look at how to we can make changes and not dip after. Momentum is a problem.

• Was obvious very early yesterday that something needed to change. But the changes seem so regimented around the time on the clock rather than what is happening on the pitch. A real shame

• We are definitely missing Bayo.

The triple substitution looked to have added a spark last night until we switched off at a corner.

With the players available last night I don't think it was a night for major discussions about substitutions. The game had gone before then

• The biggest laugh was putting Dom Gape on for the woeful Wing with just 3 mins of added time to go 🤦. Maybe Gape was injured and if so, he shouldn’t have been on the bench at all.

• I think we are aware that this is something that Gareth has struggled with during his time as manager. I think a reason for this is because he becomes so involved / engrossed in the game and struggles to detach his emotions to make the changes when they are needed.

While yes, the rules have changed to allow for 5 subs, the caveat to that is that it can only happen in 3 points during the game, meaning that at least 1 of these stoppages have to be a multiple change. Throw in the unexpected injury or a change because someone's close to being shown a 2nd yellow, there are a lot of risks that need to be considered.

When we have all grown up with only 3 subs, this change will take some getting used to and working the club's way to maximise this new change, I think it'll take some time.

• Then perhaps it is for Gaz to manage the emotions of the game and Dobson / Bloomfield to manage the tactics of the game.

I thought Ainsworth’s subs were a lot better last season. This season they’ve been very poor so far.

• Agreed Roman, seems like subs are always 70+ mins onwards, win, lose or draw.

Would love to see stats of this.

I'll just use last 3 games as examples :

Bolton, waits until 69th minute and being 3-0 down for 2 subs.

Shrewsbury, 2 x double substitutions 78' and 86'

Exeter, Triple sub 70', 3-1 down then Pattenden 87' and Gape 90'

The last two games, it seems to have disrupted the team and done more harm than good. Its a right mess, no subs when we need and subs (or too many) when we don't need as much. It's not exactly inspiring management and this is why I highlighted Akinfenwa, as it seems like he was papering over these cracks.

Chopped and changed the team for every game so far, but no change in style or approach. Worrying

• edited August 2022

Ainsworth completely changed his approach after Fleetwood away last season where he made early subs and these were countered superbly by their manager, resulting in us going from 3-1 up to 3-3. Ever since then he’s changed his approach with subs - going back to waiting for opposition to make the first move.

• Unsurprising we are struggling to make as effective subs when so much of our squad is unavailable and our highest impact sub retired at the end of last season.

• Horgan had a terrible game and should have come off sooner.

• Substitutions can be made at HT too, meaning there are potentially 4x opportunities to make changes.

With 5 subs being allowed the situation should be easier to manage - late injuries, yellow cards, time management- as you could make a change at HT, a double sub on 60mins and still have a further 2 sub options for late in the game.

However, for the substitutions to be effective you have to have quality in those coming on and a plan, something which seems to be lacking at the moment...

• I think I'm gonna work the stats out

• Also, if you've not used all 5 subs but have used all 3 windows and your 'keeper gets injured, is that just tough?

• I don't know, I think that someone will need to read through the EFL Competition Rules with a fine toothcomb

• We have eight injuries out of an outfield senior squad of 21 plus no recognised senior keeper. Dickinson has done well but he is not currently of the quality we need at this Level.

With Hanlan and Vokes out we have nobody capable of leading the line whether that be TJ, Ali or another.

Our defence has not been settled due to injuries and Mawson has been thrown in the deep end when a slower introduction would have been better.

While we are disappointed with the start to the season we have every opportunity to get ourselves up the table once players come back from injury and others bed in.

Let's not forget we will have a reducing budget due to the Championship money running out and we already have a full squad bar the goalkeeper. If Hanlan and Vokes are out for a few weeks then we will need a loan asap.

42 games to go and everything to play for being only four points off the playoffs.

Gaz will get it sorted.

• By what measure has Dickinson done well? The evidence to the contrary is plain to see.

• Not here to stoke controversy, but I disagree with that. I felt we threw that game away due to bad errors, then went on a terrible run.

• By the measure of someone's else's opinion? If we have to show our workings out this is all going to get very boring.

• Agreed - easy to forget how many defensive headers Bayo won from set plays, it was a phenomenal amount.

• Can you set out the evidence in detail please as I am not as clever as you?

• For me our bad runs are like the slow bits in Status Quo songs...you know one is coming but will it be at the beginning, in the middle or at the end. (I have no empirical evidence that there are slow bits in every Status Quo song though so that may skew the theory statistically.)

• If you're going to make an assessment of a player, you should be able to explain why.

• Please God no! This is a forum for totally unreasonable and unsupported opinions. Don't take us down that road... We rely on you for all that objective stuff

• @Otter87 "When we have all grown up with only 3 subs, this change will take some getting used to and working the club's way to maximise this new change, I think it'll take some time."

Some of grew up with only 1 sub! (And I'm sure there are at least a couple on here who grew up with none). Much, much better in my opinion. Repeating myself I know, but getting too much like Rugby Union for my liking.

• @wwfcblue said 'Dickinson has done well but he is not currently of the quality we need at this Level.'

He was not examining the ongoing economic effects of Brexit in depth.

Though perhaps not the greatest keeper in the history of football (yet?), given the circumstances I think Dickinson is doing okay...but I am making that statement with no research and merely by what my eyes have shown me. If you don't agree and also have the metrics to support the fact your obvious disappointment with the fellow is well founded and I am an idiot with very poor eyesight and judgement, that's okay.

• Dickinson is doing okay. Remember Ma-Kalambay?

• edited August 2022

Earliest occurrence yet?