Skip to content

Man of the Match - Shrewsbury (H)

edited August 2022 in Football

Posting again as I forgot Did Not See option, sorry all!

MOTM
  1. MOTM for Shrewsbury (H)70 votes
    1. Did Not See/Abstain
        8.57%
    2. Dickinson
        0.00%
    3. Grimmer
        4.29%
    4. Forino
        0.00%
    5. Jacobson
        0.00%
    6. Obita
        0.00%
    7. Scowen
      28.57%
    8. Wing
        1.43%
    9. Horgan
      31.43%
    10. Mehmeti
        8.57%
    11. McLeary
      10.00%
    12. Mellor
        5.71%
    13. Freeman (sub)
        1.43%
    14. Young (sub)
        0.00%
    15. Wheeler (sub)
        0.00%
    16. Mawson (sub)
        0.00%

Comments

• edited August 2022

I suspect there will be a lot of "wish I hadn't seens" but anyway here is my take

Horgan was superb and the heart of every good attack we had.

Mehmeti gets better each time he plays, he now just needs to learn to control his temper or channel it into his game rather than at the officials.

Scowen as ever did the grunt work that most fans dont really notice superbly and covered the back 4 really well.

Mellor seems to have boundless energy, a fair bit of skill and proved a real nuisance to their defence & GK, on another day he would probably have got the goal his performance deserved.

Forino was imperious and seems to have matured hugely from last season, he will absolutely benefit from having either Taffs or Mawson alongside him & I see no reason he cannot play 40+ games this season.

Tyla was fine and neither goal was his fault, though the defence still seem to be overcompensating for his inexperience.

GMacs goal was great but too often he drifted too far off the right leaving Grimmer exposed.

Grimmer did fine at RB, though he got pulled forward too much/often when GMac wandered into the centre or to the left wing; which left the defence unbalanced & it would hav emost certainly been punished more by a more attacking minded team.

Wing did alright but I am still struggling to know exactly what his role is as he is a little too slow at getting back to cover, so not really a defensive midfielder, not got a good enough engine to be a box to box midfielder & we already have a surfeit of attacking midfielders.

I know it is early days in the season but on what I have seen so far JJ's legs seem to have gone, whilst he still is excellent at set pieces he just cannot cover well enough at LB (hence the pen) & doesnt have the height/jump as a CB. I hope I'm wrong as he is a true Wycombe hero, but perhaps we need to be lookig for a decent young LB to mould into that role.

Finally, I am still unconvinced with Obita as a LB, he likes to get forward too much leaving the CB's exposed, his defending isnt as good as the others in defence (hence the first goal from his mistake). He is excellent as a WB or an inverted winger as his crossing & corners are good & he has a decent turn of speed, trouble is I don't think we have the players to regularly play 3-5-2 successfully & so I am not sure how he will fit into a 4-2-3-1 that seems to be GAs preference.

Anyway after all that old flannel I voted for Horgan.

• Why does Horgan get taken off every match ?

• Scowen for me, he didn’t deserve to be on the losing side.

• I’ve gone for Mellor. It’s no secret that I prefer an energetic, pacey, good finisher to an out and out target man. He’s obviously still learning and getting used to the physicality of senior football but already his close control (for example) has improved significantly compared with what we saw on the the showreel.

I was hoping for another Man of the Match performance from Nick Freeman today but he was introduced too late and was competing with Anis down the left channel. Surely Anis should have moved inside at that point where he could have continued wreaking havoc.

• I went Horgs but there were several very good performances. Hat tip to Mellor, thought he had a really good game and was a real pain in the arse for the Shrews’ defence and keeper.

Why does Horgan get taken off every match?

I find that frustrating too, depending on who comes on for him. But today, a blond Irishman in 35 degree heat, I assume it was a mercy sub.

• I went with Horgan, I haven’t always been a fan so credit to him for overcoming my prejudice.

Mehmeti and Scowen also very good.

Mellor showed flashes of quality, I think we need to work better as to how to incorporate him into the team but his start today was obviously an enforced change and this stuff does not happen in a week.

As to why Horgan always gets taken off, I suspect it’s just because a) we’re stuffed with decent midfielders and b) just getting fresh legs in there. I thought the Freeman/Young subs did make us look livelier straight off the bat, and it must have been exhausting out there in this heat, so why not.

• Horgan for me. Had a very good game and he was involved in pretty much anything that was positive for us. Why he was taken off baffled me!

• I went with Josh Scowen, although it was tight between him, Mehmeti and Horgan.

I share @Erroll_Sims concerns about Obita, he certainly hasn't got going yet this season.

• Scowen for me.

• Horgan or Grimmer for me

• Horgan for me, but I too am baffled by his constant subbing around 60 minutes. We tend to lose attacking cohesion without him and generally are a poorer side later in games when he’s not on the pitch. Mehmeti played well and Scowen was great too. Mellor did very well I thought. He’s not a number 9 but saw a lot of energy and talent today. One for the future.

Thought we played some good stuff today in really tough conditions. We’ve just not really got going yet this season and the team hasn’t settled down from a signing and injury perspective. If we could get Bishop in, retain Tafazolli and sort the injuries out we’ll be pushing towards the play offs again. Don’t bring in a keeper and lose Tafazolli and we’ll be a solid mid table I would expect.

• edited August 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Horgan - we look a far better team when he is on the pitch IMO.

Gmac - had one of his better days and an excellent goal. Mehmeti also a big threat.

Could be any of those 3 but I just love watching Horgan play.

Although a disappointing result I thought it was actually a good performance, just let down by some below average defending

• Horgan for me some of the passing between him, Wing, Scowen and Mellor was excellent. Strangely except for the goal I thought Gmac was quiet yesterday but its all opinion innit. So we try a 'plan B' passing game and what do we get? 'Mellor is no Vokes...'

• You can say that again @Wendoverman (or vice versa if you prefer).

• Gmac was involved a great deal in the first half, as of course were all our excellent attacking players.

• I must say it's really lovely to see Horgan coming into his own more and more and receiving deserved recognition for it. I can imagine his career with us must have been frustrating at times, but he has persevered, has a clearly stellar attitude, and is now increasingly reaping the rewards. Well done Horgs!!!