Skip to content

Match day thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• I'm not worried about him either, but playing him at CB in a pair does always run the risk of leaving him isolated in compromising positions

• So to sum up the negatives from yesterday ...

JJ is crock as he has no legs/is knackered

Taff has had a bust up with GA, took a quick trip to Revs but back in time to chat happily (pissed?) with fans

Tyla isn't up to league 1and we need The GK as GA has no credit left in his bank balance

Bobby C doesn't like that affectionate name as he prefers to be known as Rob

On the positives

Literally noone has complained about a lack of water

F**king brilliant result on the day then.

• Because there's one particular half wit who does it to almost every post :D

• At one point it was looking the perfect game to bring Mawson back into the fold late on.

We just needed that seemingly inevitable second goal.

Instead they stole one, and by pure sod's law they scored just after we made what I assume was a 50-50 JJ or Obita sub.

Probably going with JJ for the set pieces threat Mawson would increase.

• The point is though, the lad should not be put in the position that he is in right now as he isn’t ready.

I think the point is: he is in that position, so some of us are cheering him on and enjoying seeing an emerging talent, while others are shit talking him all over the internet to really fucking help his confidence. Personally I think that says much more about each of these groups of fans than it does about Tyla, don’t think I’d want to be friends with anyone who gets so much joy out of belittling a kid making his first few professional appearances.

• Think it was the Spanish media described as capable of balance in fair weather but hysterical at the sight of clouds

• edited August 2022

The only time he's been belittled was when he got MOTM v Burton.

• Once again: getting behind a player and objectively assessing their ability are not mutually exclusive.

• edited August 2022

Who’s shit talking him btw? All I have ever seen is people say he isn’t ready and we need a number one keeper.

Something GA also agrees with because he has been publicly saying he is looking for a new keeper. Would you put Gaz in the bracket of “shit talking him” and perhaps undermining his confidence in such public declarations that’s he is looking to replace Tyla?

Maybe, just maybe it doesn’t have to be one thing or the other. I can cheer the lad on, wish him well, hope he proves me wrong AND say I don’t think he is league one standard and we should have got a true number one keeper in earlier.

Passively aggressively down thumb away please.

• Again, waiting a few weeks to get the top quality keeper we really want is better than getting one not as good just so they can play the first game

You've completely lost the run of yourself

• Indeed.

Something GA also agrees with because he has been publicly saying he is looking for a new keeper. Would you put Gaz in the bracket of “shit talking him” and perhaps undermining his confidence in such public declarations that’s he is looking to replace Tyla?

You’re really reaching now. Gaz is perfectly happy for him to be a stand-in for the very few games he’s going to play this season. So am I. If Gaz was slagging him off in his post match interviews, blaming the entire team’s performances on him, and coming out with hilarious phrases like “a team rots from the goalkeeper”, you’d have a point. But he isn’t doing that, so you don’t have a point.

• You speak as if the top quality keeper we really want is guaranteed to sign for us ….

De Gea has been shocking in both games this season and Henderson has arguably been Forest’s best player in both of their games.

Man Utd are in crisis. One part of that is their goalkeeper situation. I cannot envisage Bishop being allowed to leave any time soon.

We have been played like a fiddle. I hope that we learned a lot from the Bishop saga.

• edited August 2022

There's certainly a huge middle ground between cheering the lad and enjoying him developing and slagging him off.

I'll personally always support any player we have out there (within certain very exceptional circumstances such as signing Ched Evans /Danny Hylton or suchlike characters), but that doesn't stop me me thinking "we could do with a better keeper here".

• edited August 2022

How am I stretching? It was clear before the season started that we were looking for a number one. Tyla has been selected out of necessity.

infact what gaz is doing of covered by:

“I can cheer the lad on, wish him well, hope he proves me wrong AND say I don’t think he is league one standard”

he’s selecting him, hoping he is doing a good enough job while actively looking to replace him.

But it’s everyone else that is saying the same thing that’s undermining his confidence. yeah, makes sense.

I’ve also not said the team rots from the keeper. So neither do you (have a point)

• Gaz is happy for him to play a few games, lots of people on here find that disgraceful for some reason and are desperate to blame all the team’s poor form on him for some reason, despite him having done absolutely nothing wrong. It’s bizarre and speaks volumes about those posters.

• edited August 2022

No one is blaming our poor form all on him, but to suggest he's "done absolutely nothing wrong" is also inaccurate (whoops, I've personally attacked him again). Bring on the thumbs.

• Case in point, this isn’t even the Nathan Bishop thread, this is the Shrewsbury match day thread. A match in which Tyla did nothing wrong, and yet it’s become another slag Tyla off thread.

I’d love to have come round your places of work in your first few weeks in the job and stood in the middle of the room shouting about how shit you are.

• I’m not sure there has been much slagging off about Dickinson. I think the general consensus is that he shouldn’t have been put in this position. The reality is the management have been slow in the transfer market and that’s where the criticism should be directed at. We haven’t replaced a No1 goalkeeper, just replaced a centre half ( too slow) and yet to replace Bayo going. It appears the management were prepared to take the risk and so far it hasn’t paid off.

• I can’t for the life of me find a comment or opinion that comes anywhere ‘disgraceful’. It’s quite proper that we can air our concerns about the whole GK situation is it not. Otherwise what’s the point of a discussion forum if it doesn’t suit your narrative.

• Roll on Tuesday.

And the big misses being back in the lineup!

• edited August 2022

Where have people slagged him off?

plenty have said that despite his best efforts, and the lad it trying his best, he isn’t league one standard. If that’s your idea of slagging off, then dear o’ lore.

If he can’t deal with some people criticising him during a football match, then maybe football isn’t for him at all. Because the opposition fans will be merciless

• Got to remember the level of the opposition in the Long Crendon game, and yesterday wasn’t his finest hour objectively.

But yes - I also see Young as a player for the future, just a few sloppy touches yesterday but never easy coming into the game so late on with the result on the line. More to come from him I’m sure.

• This a textbook case of the Guardians of the Gasroom thinking they have a monopoly on fan sentiment - and then just making shit up to suit their narrative.