Skip to content

Contract breakdown 2015/16 (part 1)

Now that the dust is settling, I thought I'd put together a post similar to one I did after the Torquay game last year. Obviously the below is slightly biased as I'm taking a fan's perspective, but hopefully you agree with the bulk of it. Please comment if you disagree with any!

Matt Ingram - contracted until 2017

Amazing to see such a young keeper playing at such a high level. He'll surely move on eventually and ply his trade in the upper regions of the football league (maybe even Premier League one day), but with a contract until 2017, hopefully we can keep him for another season at least. Gareth and the club face a test of resolve in terms of how much they can resist tempting offers for the youngster.

Sido Jombati - contracted until 2016

Great season for the right-back, so often a problematic position for the blues. Sad both for him and for the team that he missed out on the end of season run, but hopefully he'll be back next season even stronger and raring to go again.

Joe Jacobson - contracted until 2016

Another brilliant acquisition by Gareth last summer, JJ has been as solid as ever and has come up with more than his fair share of screamers. Seems to also really care about the club so it's great to have him for at least another year.

Nico Yennaris - returns to parent club

Sad to see Nico go after a loan spell where he always gave everything for the cause, often playing out of his favoured position. Hope Brentford give him a chance next season.

Aaron Pierre - contracted until 2017

A great season from the huge defender, where he again chipped in with his share of important goals. He'll be even more important next season as Alfie returns to Brentford, as the two constructed a formidable pairing. One of Gareth's key priorities this summer needs to be finding a new partner for Aaron. Great to have him for at least another two seasons.

Sam Saunders - returns to parent club

Such a cruel ending to a brilliant loan spell, where Sam really proved just why he's played at a higher level. The best player in the squad technically, and dictates the game by playing to his own strengths. Always gave everything he had. He'll be very tough to replace this summer.

Marcus Bean - contracted until 2016

Bean arrived as a replacement to the outgoing Josh Scowen, and was therefore often unfairly compared to the young midfielder. Hard to predict which side of Marcus Bean you'll see in a game, but he'll always give his all for the team and can be a good defensive asset. He's contracted for another year so will be interesting to see how much game time he gets next year. Seems to have a good relationship with all of the squad.

Paul Hayes - contracted until 2016

Fantastic season from a captain who has led fantastically throughout. His 15 goals were key to our progress and he stepped up when it really counted, with important goals in both playoff semi legs, Oxford and Luton away, and the nail-biting finish against Exeter. Hope he comes back next season refreshed and in a similar vein of form.

Matt Bloomfield - contracted until 2016

Heartbreaking end to his testimonial season, but little will have changed about the fan's opinion of this man. Such an asset to the club, both on the field and off it. Will be interesting to see what kind of role he takes next season, as he embarks on furthering his coaching credentials during the off-season.

Sam Wood - contracted until 2016

Another player who won't forget the playoff final in a hurry, but Sam Wood deserves his place as a fan favourite. Always gives everything to the cause, regardless of position, and his left foot can be a real weapon. Deployed in a midfield trio towards the end of the season, will be interesting to see where Gareth uses Sam next year.

Steven Craig - OUT OF CONTRACT

Often has cut a frustrated figure in his time at Wycombe, but his performances towards the end of the season meant that the fans took a shine to the Scot, and with such an important role in the dressing room as one of the most experienced faces, Stevie will be hoping for another year to be granted to him.

Peter Murphy - contracted until 2016

Despite making an instant impression during the early stages of the season, with some important goals, Peter unfortunately slipped out of favour during the second half of the season and may end the season with frustration. He's contracted for another year but you feel that if Gareth doesn't give him assurances during the summer, he may be looking for a move elsewhere.

Tommy Fletcher - OUT OF CONTRACT

No chances for Tommy to impress this season, unfortunately. A great deal of fans are still yet to see Tommy play so can't make a judge on potential, but Gareth will need to make a decision in terms of what he has seen in training from the youngster. He's probably not yet ready to take over from Alfie and partner Pierre in defence, but Gareth first needs to decide whether he ever will be ready.

Matt McClure - OUT OF CONTRACT

Dangerous finisher on his day, but plagued by injuries, Gareth has a decision to make on a young player who shone for him during his early managerial career, but has since stunted. Due to the fact that Gareth gave Matt a chance early on in his career, releasing him may be a very tough thing to do if the situation calls for it.

PART 2 in another post as this was too long!

Comments

• Sorry but i can see McClure being let go, why pay wages to a player who spends so much time in the treatment room?

• I hope the set up suits Murphy more next season as I was impressed early on but I think to shine he needs good holding midfielder like Scowen to allow him to get forward.