Skip to content

Man of the Match - Bolton (A)

2»

Comments

• Extremely limited service? We must have spent nearly 20% of the game in their penalty area. Is he essentially a player who scores goals occasionally (actually, roughly one game in three (?) last season was a very good return, to be fair) but needs pinpoint crosses to score with his head as his feet tend not to be quick enough?

Believe me, I hate having difficulty in seeing what it is that a good many people clearly see as top notch.

• edited August 2022

I am pretty sure that is correct. I can't remember him playing and not receiving one.

Edit- someone has now voted for him!

• Thought he probably only missed one, admittedly very decent, chance at the weekend. Maybe there were more. Not automatically everyone else's fault, thought he was deep or out wide too much at times. He's possibly more of a threat when he's flicking the ball on for runners than he is as the end product but he has a bullet header and decent strike on him and got a good goal return last year. Very occasionally when he gets good diagonal balls into him against a defender who is scared he looked amazing.

He's still class at this level and will contribute plenty. Although he might have to play centre back at some point.

• Didn’t go to the game so only able to comment on highlights but feels like Wing is getting off lightly. His tracking back for all three goals looked ponderous at best. Was that how those at the game saw it?

• I blame the system more than any individual performances, but Wing didn’t impress me.

• With Gape and Scowen on the pitch I thing Wing was told to be more attacking. From the high vantage point of the away end I thought Wing, Wheeler and Obita were all playing high up the pitch in the first half.

• Relax everyone....its only two games in...let's give it at least ten more before we write off everyone in the squad who isn't Josh Scowen!☺

• At the game it seemed to me we played a weird 4 - 121(midfield diamond) -2

With then Wheeler & Orbita pushing high up (to presumably force their wingbacks back?). Orbita often furthest forward player on the left.

Sometimes Vokes was deeper than McCleary & Mehmeti at the tip of the diamond(?).

Frankly it was such a nightmare I hope to never see that formation experiment repeated again.

Regards Vokes first half chance he never had the ball under control, a bit like the chance at Wembley.

• He shouldn't have been trying to get it under control, shoulda just wellied it.

• Does ManU having problems getting in the players they need, put us having trouble getting the players we need into perspective? (They do seem to be panicking though!😁)

• I did wonder if their shambolic approach to transfers had anything to do with the lack of resolution re Bishop.