Skip to content

Rob Couhig - misplaced optimism?

13»

Comments

• But @StrongestTeam Rob keeps going back to the same point that he wants Championship football. Like with every job, Gareth will be a set of criteria for him to meet, if they don't then difficult conversations need to be had.

I think that GA could be the greatest manager that Wycombe's ever had but if he isn't meeting the objectives from the chairman/owner then we ALL know the outcome whether we like it or not.

• I’m very much in the cutting your cloth (or ‘sustainable’ as you young uns prefer) approach.

but in my dim and distant memory didn’t this debate cause a split in the board around the time of the Adams Park move.

i seem to recall that there was one camp suggesting we did need to spend a little more and the other camp saying we needed to be responsible.

i think the latter group was in the ascendancy (exit our manager Alan Gane) originally but by the time MO’N came to the club I think the former view (Beeks?) had come to the fore?

i think some of the board resigned at the change of direction?

probably wrong on all the details but I do think it was a debate that did impact on us many years ago

• I've seen this comment about Rob Couhig wiping out his debt a few times... Is there any evidence he's investing his own money into the club? Sure, he had to provide an initial loan to secure the shareholding but that would have been repayed as soon as the first Championship cheque was cut. Since then hasn't all our investment been paid for from the same pot of Championship revenue and parachute payments? Is there any other suggestion the Couhigs are still putting money in from their own pocket?

• Wont know until we see the accounts or someone close to or on the board blabs

• I think John Goldsworthy resigned when 'Honest' Ivor started letting Jim Kelman splash the cash in at levels far beyond what had ever been seen before.

• edited July 2022

Thanks @ChasHarps

thats sort of how I remember it but then was struggling to reconcile my memories of the John Goldworthy’s programme notes* in the first two or three years at Adams Park which was of course well after Kelmans day.

*John Goldsworthy’s programme notes were a thing of whimsical and surreal beauty. Imagine a mash-up of @micra @glasshalffull @Wendoverman @DevC and @LX1 and you’ll be close to the spirit of them

• Loved to mention Sky sports, which in fairness was a novelty in those days.

And famously refused to continue when the Adams Family fanzine sent him up.

• Interesting point @aloysius, I also have a feeling that there has been money into the club from play interruption (Covid) insurance put in place by the Trust. I'm very far from being critical of Rob C as I think he's an amazingly clever guy and we're very lucky to have him and his family involved.

• When he took over we owed money all over the place including the bank, supplies and a loan to the previous suitors, he cleared that, that's why you've seen that comment.

We were also losing c500k a year, begging for handouts or investment, unable to use a number of suppliers as we owed them money, and set to run with a reduced budget.

Making the championship did raise some funds which may have negated the need for him to put more in personally to date but a) we probably wouldn't have gone up without him restoring the budget and b) would as fans / trust have had to match him to 25% if he had done.

• They get on fine and often praise eachother, I think they are both realistic about the competition they face to get back in the championship even if it's where they'd both like us to be. Oddly the only pressure on Gareth may be a little self imposed as he often talks about wanting to deliver for Rob and never asks for more backing or disagrees that it's sufficient.

If we flirt with relegation or the fans and players were to turn on Gareth then Rob would have a decision to make like any chairman but a couple of season's in the top 7 or 8 of this division while only signing kids is unlikely to make him trigger happy. I get the impression Rob is happy leaving the football side to others