Skip to content

Train travel

The fact that the match overran must have presented Chiltern railways with a difficult situation, having to reschedule their train service. However matters were not helped by what seemed a real lack of organisation at the station in getting people into the right queue. Announcements were unheard and if those supposed to be making them even had an effective loud hailer that was not apparent. It took me about 90 minutes to get onto a train and despite all that the crowd remained in good humour. If there is to be a next time I would chose alternative means of travel.

Comments

• We got on train within 4 mins as opted for queue a as all queues were going onto same platform. All trains were going to wycombe. .the problem we had was when we got to Risborough. .had to wait over an hour for connection to Aylesbury!

• I thought the organisation was fine, as it always is after a Wembley event. They get enough practice!

• I am glad it went well for some but had matters been made clearer that would have helped. As I said there were no audible announcements and Queue A was indicated to be for people going the other way

• Going by coach was a doddle.

• Hats off to Chiltern Railways , IMO they did an excellent job shifting so many people back to the chair metropolis .

• I agree that they did well but it is could have been better organised at the station. The last time I went to Wembley by coach it was a doddle too. That was in 1957 which probably tells you why waiting 90 minutes for a train yesterday was not a doddle at all.
    As for having plenty of practice in organising the crowds, I was told that they never experienced so many people travelling North which should have come as no suprise

• Fair point that they would not normally have so more people heading North.

• Worked for me! Was going south and in Marylebone in no time. I don't know, as I was going across London, but presumably you could have got on a near empty 'normal' train back to Wycombe from there. Tip for next year.

• Saw the queue so went and got something to eat instead, an hour later we just walked straight on to train. Been to many events at Wembley over the years and they are always pretty well organised at the station.

• @Aylesburyblue that connection problem to Aylesbury has always been a problem, when I lived in Aylesbury the connection between Risborough and Aylesbury always has been and still is shocking!!

• Will know next time to park at Risborough

• It obviously pays to "know the ropes". My relatives told me that trains to Hillingdon and Uxbridge were easy to get on so, should the occasion arise in future, that is the route I would take.
    The crush outside the station was not helped by a large police van stuck right in the middle of the road. The driver told me that he wasn't there intentionally. He was intending to pass down the road when people arrived in force surrounding his van and forcing him to a halt. It wouldn't have been that difficult to hold back the approaching masses to give him time to move away./

• I'm still on the train!

• I've always been impressed with the train system at Wembley. It was pretty busy yesterday but it didn't take me that long to get on a train. And that was prolonging the agony by watching the trophy get presented.

• Agreed with the comment about the police van creating a blockage, compounded further by a line of a few police and stewards next to the van, however was in a philosophical mood so didn't mind too much......

• Five of us went by car , parked within 10 mins walk of the stadium £25 split 5 ways ... back in the car 20 mins after the final whistle and back in High Wycombe 35-40 mins later . If you can go without a beer , really easy way to do it

• ......without a beer....there's the rub.....

• Everyone was on the beer yesterday

• Didn't help there were signalling issues on our train. It was supposed to be Birmingham only but they made sneaky stops starting at Wycombe, announced quietly so the station staff didn't get lynched. The driver apology when we got into Wycombe admitting that 'Sometimes I don't think we could run a drink up in a brewery!' was a great moment too!