Skip to content

Wycombe Hall of Fame

I thought I read something about a planned Hall of Fame recently, though I could be getting mixed up. Nevertheless, if we had one, who would your first five inductees be? This includes players and management.

Comments

• Frank Adams

Tony Horseman

Adebayo Akinfenwa

John Reardon

Paul "The Gasman" Lewis

• Martin O'Neill

Gareth Ainsworth

Richard Dobson

Frank Adams

Tony Horseman

• Rob brought it up again in his most recent interview. By the way, he talked about how Pete has been building relationships with a number of our former players, which is fantastic to hear.

Anyway, regarding the HOF - I really hope we have a ‘significant people’ wing. There’s been a number of people who have given so much to this club without necessarily being on the payroll and they to deserve recognition in any HOF.

• The Hoff's contribution to Music, TV and world peace are legendary but I wasn't aware of any Wycombe links.

Btw Autocorrect almost changed that to The Hoofs: Warnock, Beck, Taylor for starters

• Martin O’Neill - untouchable

Alan Hutchinson - media mogul

Mark West - local hero

Lionel Richie - for ‘Worldwide Phenomenon’ ticket sales

Alan Smith - always need a villain

• For me the Hall of Fame should be reserved for those who have perhaps hung up their boots or managers wand, so would exclude current employees. Based on that personal opinion, I'd go with:

Frank Adams

Martin O'Neill

Tony Horseman

Dave Carroll

Steve Brown

Current employees to miss out: Bloomfield, Dobson, Ainsworth, Jacobson and Catchpole.

• Frank Adams

Martin O'Neill

Brian Lee

Tony Horseman

Steve Guppy

• Sir Colin Daniel

• And the crossbar from that game

• I hope there will be a section featuring Wycombe barnets. Martin Blackler, Serio Torres, Ian Stonebridge to name but a few.

• I only remember Stonebridge having a buzzcut? Admittedly I was only about 9 at the time.

• In a time where players were starting to turn up with a lot of weird 'dos Ian Stonebridge's hair was so unremarkable that it had it's own chant. Something about 'conventional hair'.

• Nick Freeman

• I would definitely include Brian Lee

a) he was a bloody good manager

and

b) (if my memory is right) he played a big part in the look and feel of Adams Park. Easy to forget now, given the debate about access, etc but at the time we were a non league club playing in front of 1500 or so people on a good day. The vision to build such a complete 6000 capacity stadium (compare with Aylesbury United’s new 8000 capacity stadium at the time for example) was, I believe, a major factor in everything that has happened since.

• Add John Maskell and Keith Ryan as worthy candidates...

• Martin O'Neil

Jason Cousins

Gareth Ainsworth

Adebayo Akinfenwa

Keith Ryan

All chosen because of their dedication to the club and their legacy. 2 I chose because everytime they had a blue shirt on their back they gave everything - including personal safety and health. 2 I chose because they redefined our club from top to bottom. And Bayo I chose because he was that little bit of magic that we all needed and brought something to the club that just made all the other elements click. A relatively short but amazingly sweet visit to our club compared to the others.

In a special category of Hall of Fame 'Short but oh so Sweet' - Darius Charles will always be in my heart as an inspirational human being

• My first five to be inducted into our Hall of Fame:

Tony Horseman

John Maskell

Keith Ryan

Matt Bloomfield

Dave Carroll

All club legends who served our club with distinction.

• edited July 2022

A worthy candidate in at least two categories is Nicky Evans, a blonde bombshell of a goalscorer, signed in March 1989 for £32,000 from, wait for it, Barnet. Very much in the ‘short but oh so sweet’ category with 14 goals in 29 games. His striking persona and goalscoring feats made a huge impact but, having been strongly criticised by Barnet fans for selling ‘God’ to Wycombe, Barry Fry redeemed himself less than two years later by buying him back for £25,000. So each of his goals for us cost about £500.

Nicky scored a further 18 goals in 54 games for Barnet on his return compared with 133 in 248 games during his first spell. Recurrent ankle injuries were becoming a problem and forced him to retire in 1993. In May 1994, he was rewarded for his outstanding contribution over nearly a decade with a testimonial match against Birmingham City. Prior to the game he was presented with a golden hairdryer by the editors of the Barnet Fanzine.

Nicky will be 64 tomorrow.

• More than a hint of Sean Devine about him it sounds, very difficult to cut it down to a few. You'd hope they have a list of at least 20 odd to definitely go in even if they announce only a few at a time.

• Martin O'Neill

Gareth Ainsworth

Dave Carroll

Matt Bloomfield

Bayo

• edited July 2022

Recurrent ankle injuries were becoming a problem and forced him to retire in 1983.

I'm impressed that he managed to retire 6 years before we signed him.

• I’m not impressed that we signed a player who’d been on the scrap heap for six years.

Thanks @drcongo !

• Brian Lee

Martin O'Neill.

Tony Horsman.

Bayo.

Paul McCarthy

• Dave Carroll

Mo Harkin

Peter Garland

Steve McGavin

Kevin Betsy

• Why is this Hall of Fame stuff so big in the US @Shev . It really does seem to mean something that UK sport has always failed to get to.

• Oy @drcongo !! I’ve been on nursing duty since my post at 10.45 and I’ve only just noticed that my editing of ‘1983’ to ‘1989’ in my main post has not registered. I did it about halfway through the permitted hour but probably forgot to tap ‘save’ ?

• Five is far too limiting so I think I might post 2 lists. The first those that have created a lasting off the field legacy and the second being outstanding players. Going to need a little time to narrow down my players list but here goes with the “off the field” list

Frank Adams

Brian Lee

Martin O’Neill

Gareth Ainsworth

WWFC Supporters Trust

• It's hard to say, really. Obviously there are a lot of cultural differences in how sport is approached here, but it's hard to say why the idea of a Hall of Fame has caught on more here than in the UK. It could be something as simple as the Brits being more self-deprecating, and a Hall of Fame seeming a little vainglorious to the British mindset? Just speculating, though.

• Steve Hayes

Alan Smith

Mel Morris

The stripey quartered kit

The Causeway Stadium