Skip to content

Any attendance boost for losing play-off finalists?

One for you I think DrCongo if you've the time/inclination.

Following your detailed breakdown of promoted crowd changes the other day, does your data stretch to how losing play off finalists fare? Are we statistically likely to keep any of the 12K extra Chairboys next season?

Comments

• I'll add it to the spreadsheet tonight if I get a chance and see if there's an effect.

• Thanks. Not important but I'd be interested to know

• Thank you for Gasroom 2 @DrCongo and thanks and some respect for doing work to pick out the 27% bounce in attendance for clubs gaining promotion through the playoffs.
    I suspect Southend will get an effect next season.

I guess, like most of us, I feel sad and proud this morning; I do not feel disheartened or disappointed. I might post elsewhere about the emotion, as I expect others will, but here I would say to DrCongo and others who read - we won't be typical of sides who lose in the Play Off Final. I don't believe that many other teams who have lost at Wembley will have done so with the same journey or in the same way that we did and with the same response from club, team and supporters at the end of the game and into the future.

Many of us will have had our heads in our hands during the penalties, but had heads held and hands high applauding our team, our club and ourselves in the end.

I will post this next bit elsewhere because I think it is important - as a team, as a club and as supporters we can savour and be proud of creating a memorable occasion, even though it didn't turn out to be a triumph for us. I am not gutted: I think the wound is a scar which we can wear with pride, rather than an evisceration which would prevent us from carrying on.

I think many of the 15,000 will think like that and, whatever the statistics say, our crowds will be up next year. But here, on this thread, @DrCongo, @Bookertease and others - please do not be disheartened if the work with the spreadsheet gives an answer which is not as positive as our season has been.

• I think (hope) there were probably a lot of young kids there yesterday that may have seen their first Wycombe game, sure the result was disappointing but, first half aside, hopefully they would have seen enough to be tempted back to a regular game or two.

• The John Hampden tour was also a class move (especially with the Ingram angle) and one I'd like to see made a regular ever to help try and drum up trade.

• Railwaysteve. Sorry. Didn't mean to give the impression I'm down or disheartened. Just genuinely curious to see whether there is an effect. I like everyone else is full of pride for what we've achieved this season

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Do the attendaces you are comparing include away fans? If so the size of your opponents really does make a difference where accy stanley only bring 50 or Man City bring 3000. Have to see how those that have gone up or down to lg2 compare with those that we have lost.

Yep, includes away fans. But the same is true for the team who finished as champions and saw an average net fall in attendance.