Skip to content

England v World Test Match Champions

Comments

• I regularly do that @micra TMS and TV.

the characters of commentating seem to be disappearing everywhere in all sports…

• With the possible exception of @bluntphil. He manages to make his football commentary seem like TMS! Wonderful.

• Had TMS on in the kitchen earlier whilst preparing my first ever shepherd’s pie. Our local lass, Isa Guha on commentary (very easy on the ear) but a former New Zealand player (I assume) rabbeting on monotonously about a New Zealand tour in 1986 when apparently everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Talking constantly over Isa and , to compound the felony, talking down England’s performance. Dreadful.

• One fascinating bit of information I picked up from TMS was the fact that Ollie Pope’s century was his first playing north of the Thames. Extraordinary.

• edited June 2022

I'm not a cricket fan, but the commentary is great. The game lends itself brilliantly to crazy tangents!

• We need a 5th wicket stand comparable with New Zealand’s. Failing that, I reckon a draw is our best hope.

• Half an hour ago I was confident we’d get a first innings lead. Less confident now!

• I also found that extraordinary @micra, and had to look it up.

Confirmed by Andy Zaltzman, BBC TMS statistician.

"Ollie Pope has 14 first-class hundreds:

- nine at The Oval in London

- one at the Woodbridge Road ground in Guildford

- one at the Rose Bowl in Southampton

- one at the ICC Academy in Dubai

- one Test hundred in South Africa (Port Elizabeth)

So yes, this is his first hundred north of the Thames, in his 14th match north of the river."

• Very interestingly poised Test Match at a sparse Trent Bridge. Am very tempted to head up there for tomorrow but work is getting in the way!

• Yep. Tickets are free online for tomorrow!

• Not sure why England are trying to bump out Matt Henry. Just bowl normally and try and get him to nick off in the slips. (That should bring the wicket through a bouncer now!)

• Just realised the significance of Boult’s first name.

• I fear he’s making the difference. It’s gunner be difficult.

• Well, that was one of the greatest test sessions in recent memory.

• What an absolutely incredible win that was !!

• “New era...”

• Marvellous post tea session. You have question NZs tactics but what a marvellous display of clean hitting from Bairstow and to a lesser extent Stokes.

Brillinat gesture from Nottinghamshire CCC to allow spectators in for free, many of whom would have experienced the finest format of the game for the first time.

Onto Headingley, which always delivers fascinating cricket.

• So pleased so many are so excited and enthusiastic about Test match cricket tonight. Can only be good for the only true format of the game.

Personally though I have no idea what to make of today. It doesn’t feel anywhere near as exciting as Stokes and Leach beating the Aussies or Atherton holding firm in South Africa. It should do and maybe it will once it has settled in.

• I think the back injury which prevented Kyle Jaimeson bowling during England’s second innings (and for most of the first innings) may have detracted slightly from the overall feeling of triumph. Also, there is nothing like the same ‘needle’ between England and New Zealand as there is between England and Australia.

• Plus, the absence of Kane Williamson must also have been a factor in terms of how we perceived the level of triumph. You just don’t normally see batsmen hitting six after six against top Test sides. Wonderfully exciting nonetheless.

I was remarkably relaxed ahead of yesterday’s play about the prospect of defeat - I think because a New Zealand victory would have prevented next week’s final Test from becoming a dead rubber.

• Somehow, the true spirit of sportsmanship and cricket seem to come to the fore when we play New Zealand.

• https://twitter.com/DannySenior/status/1536995527044349952

Amusing video going around of at least half the england team in a Nottingham kebab shop at 3 in the morning after celebrating yesterday's win.

Not doing a great job maintaining the sport's exclusive elitist stereotype with such relatable behaviour.

• Brilliant, club cricket at it's finest on show by the National Team!

• World record one day international 50 over total on its way very soon... Joss Buttler on absolute fire!

• Quite like the "Wycombe colours" England ODI shirts too...

• Can see some records being broken this afternoon. Makes you realise how Anderson has been missed (with a niggly ankle).although I’m not sure the ball was doing as much yesterday.

• An hour later and England are 80-6 having “recovered” from 21-4 and 55-5. Going at nearly five an over. The world’s gone crazy, including Test cricket (England style).

• And close of play sees England back on par. Trent Boult is an under rated great but YJB turned up with a stunning counter attack.

Not your normal test match.

• That was an incredible day of test cricket.