Skip to content

Wembley

I just wanted to come on this board and say that yesterday, both sets of fans were absolutely brilliant from start to finish and I can do nothing but applaud you for the way all of yous carried yourselves before, during and after the final.

I was stood at the top of Wembley Way before the match looking down and in amongst the sea of red and white, your boys and girls were loud and proud and giving it everything yous had and the few I talked to beforehand were nothing but complimentary of our lot and I hope that all our fans showed the same respect back.

The classiest part of the day for me was the section of your fans that stayed after the final whistle in a group almost behind the goal and applauded not only your own team off the park, but also our lads as well. Pure class from every single one of those who stayed there.

After the game I seen a few walking up and whilst I was tearing up with happiness, a few of your fans had time to say congratulations and wish us the best of luck for next season, and I did the same back to them.

Yous were classiness personified and I hope yous can do one better next season and get promoted.

Best of luck from one football fan to another!

Comments

• Lovely to hear, and thank you for taking the time to post your feelings. I don't understand this mini rivalry we seem to have manufactured but there was no evidence of it yesterday. Your fans were class. Never heard a noise like it.

Shame that the game didn't really offer much. It was very well reffed for a change and we can have no complaints about the result. You nullified us and the better team won.

Best of luck for the next season and beyond.

• Yeah there isn't a rivalry for me. On our board you do get a share of people who take their chance to dislike or hate anything but they are probably just internet trolls (all clubs have them).

At the end of the day it's all about results at this level and getting to the next level is the be all and end all and I'm happy we've found a manager who knows how to win, just like your manager gets results out of yous for the most part. I didn't mention in my original post that Ainsworth has been nothing but complimentary about us every time we have played and even though he tries very hard to look like a classic 80s rock star in my opinion 🤣, he's still a very good bloke.

Most of our fans on our forum are commending yous on how yous acted yesterday so I don't think the rivalry exists barring in a few people's heads.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/what-the-wycombe-fans-saying.1579987/

• Excellent stuff, @MackemInPeace, and kind of you to come on.

I also thought it was a very clean game, which was nice.

All the best to you and yours. Hopefully we'll see you again someday, in a higher tier than L1!!!

• Championship in 23/24?

I won't complain about being in there still at the end of next season. Means we haven't been relegated!

• Yep, just add to the above. I really enjoyed the day despite the result. The respect between both sets of fans before and after the game was fantastic. The atmosphere in the stadium was just something else!

The match itself was disappointing from our point of view, Sunderland were clearly the better side and we never really got going. No complaints at all about the final score. A fit Anis Mehmeti may have made a difference for us, but I suspect you'd still have been too strong. For us it doesn't distract from what's been a very good season, we're getting better year upon year and our playing style is slowly evolving as we attract better players, so I think the future still looks pretty rosy for us.

Good luck to Sunderland in the Championship. Hoping we'll be back there ourselves in the next season or 2.

• I'm slightly amused that every Sunderland fan on the Gasroom has earned more thumbs up than our own Trevor.

Reckon you'll be absolutely fine next season @MackemInPeace - the Championship is full of absolute basket case clubs, you'll have at least two clubs get points deductions and at least two more will totally implode. All you need to do is get more points than them and you're safe. If you can hang on to Roberts and Stewart you'll do a lot better than that.