Skip to content

Favourite games of the season

I already know I’m going to shed a tear when the end of season highlights video is released by the club. I’m in a strange place mentally tonight where I kind of don’t want to think about the game, but I want to think about the season as a whole. As a result I’m just aimlessly flicking through the fixtures this year picking out my favourites.

Here’s my top 5:

4-3 vs Morecambe (H): a true game of two halves in pouring rain. Some of the worst football I’ve seen us play in recent years in the first half, but a complete gear shift in the second half. Being in the terrace when Thompson’s shot made its way in was one of my moments of the season

0-3 vs Plymouth (A): for me, this game will always be the moment Anis turned from an exciting prospect, into a genuine superstar at this level. Amazing away support too, and we did it with Wheeler and Pendlebury in CM at the end, epitomising the strength in depth and ability of the whole team to do the job when called upon

3-3 vs Sunderland (H): the game simply had everything. Always something novelty-like about a 12pm kick off on a Saturday, and the whole game felt like a cup final. I think everyone thought it was over when Stewart found a favourable bobble in the turf to give Sunderland the lead in injury time, but in true Wycombe style, there was another ending to the story…

2-0 vs Oxford (H): another huge game where the boys delivered. We made a strong Oxford side look incredibly average, and Hanlan bursting through and slotting it away is one of my favourite goals of the year. A win against the PNL’s is always a season highlight, so is in here by default

2-0 vs Plymouth (H): in here for the quality of the two goals, and the importance of the game. McCleary’s opener was probably the best goal I’ve seen at Adams Park, and the second was the best assist, with Hanlan channelling his inner Garath Bale. The result that cemented our playoff position in retrospect, given it was Plymouth’s place we took

Special mentions: Crewe at home, Bolton away, Doncaster at home, Cambridge away, Burton away

PS: I wasn’t at the 5-5 Cheltenham home game, so that’s the only reason it doesn’t feature above

Once the dust has settled from the disappointment of today, would be interested to see which games people regard as their highlights.

And thank you to all of you for a great season, the Gasroom is truly integral to my enjoyment of being a Wycombe fan.

Comments

• Plymouth (a) was tremendous fun from kick off, with a performance and result to match.

Cambridge (a) last minute decision to watch the game. Could have scored a dozen.

Plymouth (h), Sheffield Weds (h) and Burton (a). the play offs started long before we faced Milton Keynes.

special mention to Aston Villa B in the Pizza Cup. I had just checked into a hotel room a thousand miles from home with a big job interview the next day. I compromised my principles, paid $10 and suddenly Wycombe Wanderers made me feel at home.

This club means the world to me.

• Plymouth away and Cambridge away... Great nights !!

• Didn't make plymouth away game, but Cambridge away must have been the best wycombe performance for the past 20 years.

• Plymouth (h), Sheffield Wednesday (h) and MK (h)…great days.

• Agreed! That was my favourite. Champagne football throughout

• Franchise in the semi final first leg was one of the greatest nights in Adams Park history and somehow eclipsed that wonderful afternoon vs Sheff Weds.

• Rare to have a season with so many outstanding highlights. The 'wouldn't want to watch that every week' rubbish from the Plymouth fans sounded very hollow after seeing Mehmeti dancing at will through their defence at Home Park. Thompson's last minute winner against Morecambe was fantastic. Loved Hanlan's goal against Oxford. The atmosphere at home to MK. And Cambridge away was just liquid football.

But yeah, those and many more memories to cherish from this season.

• Quite enjoyed Cheltenham away.

Always one of my favourite aways for ease of getting to and parking anyway, but reasonably early season it felt like a test of the sort of game you have to win to be contenders.

Pendlebury with probably his goal scoring lifetime highlights was fun too.

• Doncaster away for the sole reason it was the first time I have taken my my son to a Wycombe game so instantly special, and we won, and the big man scored.

The stadium instantly went into my top 3 worst grounds, soulless, sterile, characterless, quiet, plastic and boring.

1. Plymouth home 2-0 win (best performance over 90 all season)
    2. Plymouth away 3-0 win (best display of our classic away sh*thousery)
    3. Sheff Wed home 1-0 win (vital win and solid performance)
    4. Morecambe at home (best 15 min spell all season after HT to get us back in the game. Dramatic late winner)
    5. MK home in playoffs (sublime).

• MK home leg for me, although Oxford at home was also pretty special (that photo of the scoreboard with GMac in the foreground is my fave pic of the season)

• I enjoyed the Man City game, especially the first quarter of it.

• I’m not sure how I missed out the MK home game from my list entirely. Probably me blanking out the playoffs last night out of fear of being triggered

• I quite enjoyed the 5-5 vs Cheltenham.

As frustrating as it was to throw the lead away, you rarely see such a crazy back and forth game.

• edited May 2022

Digressing slightly to "periods of a game", I remember thinking after half an hour at 2-0 up at home to Accrington on the first day of the season that we would canter this league. McCleary and Horgan's telepathy set the tone for the season in that first 20 minutes.

• I loved that game too. Couldn't believe it when I came on here afterwards and so many were spitting feathers about it, phenomenal entertainment. Also loved both Plymouth games and the Cambridge match where we seemed to turn into Brazil.

• You had to admire Alfie May's quality and Cheltenham's tenacity - I might be making it up but didn't they do something very similar by scoring 2 injury time goals to get a 4-4 draw at Accrington a few weeks later, or something like that?

• I simply cannot look back fondly on a game where we squandered a 2 goal lead twice at home. Perhaps in a few years, I'll look back with more joy at it.

For me, aside from the Plymouth and Oxford games, I really enjoyed Wednesday at home. Such an important game in the run-in, and to have a game plan work so effectively was fantastic.

Otherwise, as has been mentioned, to start the season with so much hope and optimism, and then blow Accy away in the first half was tremendous.

• edited May 2022

For me, this season was my first season as a STH since 1986 (the year I moved to Norfolk). Of course, I've been back for the odd game almost every season and as they grew up, my kids too. For me, the whole season has been special. BTW, both my kids follow WWFC :)

Bought my ST last season, but because of Covid and all that s**t, the only game I got to last season was Coventry at AP. This season will hold many happy memories, as well as the 7-hour round trip every Saturday for home games. Also made most Tuesday games and several away games. Cambridge, the boys were class!

Can't wait for next season.

• Morecambe for me, a magnificent game. Did every home league game and Wigan and Wimbledon away. Also enjoyed Oxford home and MK Playoffs home immensly. Plus 5-5 v Cheltenham was great, though frustrating

As for the stinkers. Ipswich 1-4 was depressing, Milton Keynes, their vile chanting and a grim 1-0 defeat was probably one of my worst days at Adams Park for more reasons than the game.

• we made AP a real bear pit in the first leg it you could see it affect the franchise players and we stifled the away support.

• Got to go with MK first leg...and I had to pay for that!

• LX1LX1
    edited May 2022

Worthy shout. One of the best opening days that. Set the tone indeed

• Plymouth at home…the Ukraine kit, the 2-0 win…excellent

• Cambridge away. OK, Cambridge were poor, but that was probably one of our best attacking performances in a long time.

• @NewburyWanderer yes - worthy of inclusion not just for the four away goals, but also for the four times the ball hit the woodwork...!