Skip to content

Link to Chiltern Railways please

Trying to buy 3 adult return tickets to Wemberly. Word of mouth says 20 minutes journey time, but on the Chiltern rail site it says 46 minutes???

Comments

• Depends on which one you get. Some will probably stop at Seer Green, Denham Golf Club etc.

• From where? Some trains stop at every hole on the golf course and others much less. So, it depends on the train but looking at the timetable 30 minutes seems to be the normal time from Wycombe for most of those stopping at the stadium stop

• 1. Who cares?

2. With the queueing system at High Wycombe in place you will be put on the first available train.

3.COYB!✌

• Thanks guys & girls. I got it sorted in the end. £33 for 3 adult returns and a 30 minute journey isn't bad at all. See you there!

• £2.10 each way to Wembley Park from Chalfont & Latimer on the tube with an Oyster card & £3 to park in the station car park.

You’d think Chiltern Railways could do something properly (being German-owned) but sadly it’s not the case.

• edited May 2022

I'd like to know at what point during Chiltern Railway's planning for transporting some 15,000 supporters from Wembley back to Bucks did they think their four trains per hour after the game would be anything other than completely inadequate. If any proof was needed that the railway franchise system is completely unfit for purpose, those stuck in unsafe conditions on that footbridge at Wembley Stadium station was a perfect example. As mentioned by many people, in Germany it would be inconceivable that Deutsche Bahn wouldn't have sourced the rolling stock from their network to run football specials at the necessary capacity and frequency.

If there's a final at Wembley again, I reckon rather a lot will take the option of either driving to Wembley, or parking near a Metropolitan line station and getting the tube in.

Such a shame as it was fantastic being in town with pubs full of Wanderers fans full of anticipation of what could have been another glorious chapter in our proud history, you'd think that many of those won't bother next time.

• Trains in this country are an absolute shambles, the nicely decked out red and blue trains between Wycombe and Wembley were Used regularly by me in the mid 90s and were so much better than the tube but seem to have gone to pot. Think someone said earlier inadequate staffing meant people weren't being moved down the full length and the trains weren't being filled up so some clot in an office probably doing the maths based on trains full to bursting ticked their boxes.

The costs of away travel by train being disgusting was a bit of a feature of the season and probably won't change any time soon.

• I'm going to the Italy - Argentina game at Wembley in a couple of weeks and it's making me rethink my route, but I definitely won't be going from HW again next time we're at Wembley

• The people (partly) in charge of running the trains in and out of Marylebone we’re just so much better back in the 90s….

• I’ve seen this so many times at Wembley. They regularly fail to fill up the trains and let them leave half empty while thousands wait outside. All the focus is on keeping the platforms clear and avoiding someone falling into onto tracks but it leaves chaos outside the station.

Normally it’s better to just take a tube or train toward London and then get a train coming back out.

We tried to do that yesterday but there wasn’t any clarity on the queue system so we ended up inadvertently merging into the mass of people relatively near the front. Still took half an hr or so to get to the platform but we were able to get a train direct to Wycombe, albeit a slow one. There were empty seats on our carriage when it should have been packed with people stood in the aisles. Absolutely shambolic.

• Certainly made a disappointing day even more miserable, waiting there for 90mins or so.

Thankfully the actual train out was a direct 18min job. Just as well crammed into a wall.

Driving to somewhere like Rayners Lane and then tubing in definitely will be worth a look next time.

• For the Southend final I drove to Ickenham and got the tube from there, but yesterday I wanted more of a fans experience. Getting in was great, but the queues for the return trains was a shambles. We queued for well over an hour with 2 young children and barely moved. In the end we gave up and got some food and returned later. Even then, the queues were still very lengthy, although they were at least moving by that point. Back in Wycombe not long before 9pm, which is crazy when we'd left the stadium not long after 5pm.

Will definitely look to do it by underground again next time.

• Queued for a train home longer than I watched the football. Been to Wembley so many times for different things and yesterday was the worst by far.

Remarkable patience from those in the queue equally matched by a remarkable disappearance by all railway staff and a tannoy system that was set to low volume.

I will be complaining and hope others do too. Chiltern Railways let us down last night.

• After the Southend playoff final, it was the same and I put it down to the game going to a penalty shootout. Obviously, that wasn't the case this time and it can only be poor planning and management Having said that the station itself is not designed to cope with those numbers and that is something that needs to be addressed.

• Was a shambles yesterday, and they want people to let the train take the strain !

Paid 16 quid for a return, might as well not bothered, they didn't check on the way in as they were just getting people through, and ended up going back on the tube as went for a drink rather than stand in a queue for 2 hours

• My brother and his mates left the stadium after me yet managed to get on a train back to Wycombe (without going into Marylebone and back out) and be back there before 6. I'm currently trying to get their secret cause that's magic as far as I'm concerned.

• Agreed. Sounds impossible based on what I saw. Please share if the magic circle allow.

(Unless leaving early is involved)

• edited May 2022

When I’ve gone to England matches, it’s normally fine as people spread off to different destinations and the tube/main line going to London is as busy/busier.

Seems crazy that they had trains leaving every 5 minutes from Wycombe, but every 15 mins for the return, especially when the return has as many people wanting to use the train in a smaller window of time.

• edited May 2022

I drove to Hillingdon , parked for £3. Contactless fare to Wembley Park £1.80 single. Journey time round 30 minutes. Trains about every 10 minutes

Coming home left on the final whistle, walked to Wembley Park, up the steps into the station straight onto a train, the trains were busy but not over crowded.

Stopped at Nando’s for a takeaway at the Beaconsfield services. Waited about 16 minutesfor them to cook it. We were back home in Wycombe eating it in front of the TV by 18:45.

But don’t tell everybody as everyone will be travelling this route next season.

• We left shortly after the final whistle and queued for about 2 hours in queue C.

We finally rolled into Wycombe at about 8:15 after the train stopped at Ruislip for 15 minutes or so.

It was an absolute shambles.

• So, this is how it is done:

on the journey to Wembley they announced what the return destination of each of the four queues was A-D. D was for trains to Oxford (these obviously would not be specials but be the schedules service). Queue D was therefore v short (approx 15 min wait), being a scheduled service it was always going to stop at B’field and Wycombe (in fact it also stopped at GX). And numerous folk got off at Wycombe.

It’s unfortunate that those who follow the rules loose out whilst those that play the system benefit, but wasn’t it always thus.

• We should have asked for insider advice from @railwaysteve before the match!

• I think the secret was getting trains signposted oxford/bicester/Haddenham.Queue non existent and little did we know they a they actually stopped at Wycombe!

Pretty sure I did the same last time but it was all vague in my memory..I then had to wait at Risborough for a connection to Aylesbury.

• Were there any signs to say which queue was which?

We came down the road and turned left onto the bridge, having walked round the back of the stadium, rather than walk up past the fan zone. As a result we joined the queue at the side about half way down and just went with the masses assuming everything heading out of London would stop at Wycombe.

Having not left the stadium until after the Wycombe players had headed off the pitch, I now feel guilty that we got on a train at 17:50.

Apologies to all if we made you queue longer. But, honestly Chiltern Rail could have got another 20-30 in each carriage if they had people standing in the isle.

• The problem was the tannoy was at a volume so low as to be useless and you couldn’t actually see which queues were for each line without getting to them, so we were in the throng for an hour until we could actually see which queue was for which line.

against Southend there were people with megaphones giving instructions and keeping things going. I barely saw a Chiltern Rail employee coke to that I barely saw a steward in Wembley either, save the jobsworth that made my daughter hand over all her lucky halftime sweets on entry. She’d bought them with her own pocket money too.

• edited May 2022

Wembley's policy on taking food in does seem unclear (nothing on their website as far as I can see), but bit harsh to call someone doing a thankless minimum-wage job a jobsworth for enforcing what they've presumably been instructed to enforce?

• Taking a packet of fruit gums off a little girl and making her cry is harsh in my book!

The lesson she learnt was not to be honest with stewards.

• I must admit I did laugh when the steward on the gate told me my flag was too big - despite the fact I'd literally just had it taken out and measured after going through the turnstile (and that I'd put it back in the bag, so he must have had X-ray vision and insane geometry skills). It was too big for the design to show properly on the telly, mind...