Skip to content

The Curse of Manager of the Month - fact or fiction?

Firstly, brilliant for Gareth to be awarded MOTM, but anyone got any stats on whether the supposed curse exists or not? I don't need any more reasons to be nervous.

Comments

• None on that, but here's one:

Teams who traditionally play in red-and-white-striped shirts with black shorts have lost 17 out of 18 play-off finals.

• It’s fiction. I remember seeing a stat but you’ll have to wait for RtS to dig it out.

What struck me was that the photo on the official site was of Gareth holding the award with all of the backroom staff, so emphasising that it was a reward for the whole team. Instinctively he gets the PR right. Again

• @OakwoodExile said:
    It’s fiction. I remember seeing a stat but you’ll have to wait for RtS to dig it out.

What struck me was that the photo on the official site was of Gareth holding the award with all of the backroom staff, so emphasising that it was a reward for the whole team. Instinctively he gets the PR right. Again

He is such a class act.

• Well done to Gareth. Well deserved

That picture of the back room staff shows how far we've come in a few years. There are loads of them.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Well done to Gareth. Well deserved

That picture of the back room staff shows how far we've come in a few years. There are loads of them.

Yeah there are loads of them aren’t there? Can anyone name them all?

• Jim Melvin, Steve Walford, Paul Franklin.......

• @eric_plant said:
    Jim Melvin, Steve Walford, Paul Franklin.......

No John Reardon? Shame.

• I do know it is bad luck to concede more than you score in a playoff final. Avoid that curse and we should be fine with the others.

• edited May 2022

@OakwoodExile said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Well done to Gareth. Well deserved

Yeah there are loads of them aren’t there? Can anyone name them all?

All but second left and far right

• It's one of those claims that people only wheel out when someone wins it then loses straight away. Stubbornly ignoring the times it doesn't happen.

Classic fandom really. Swearing blind that xxx team gets all the decisions, yet steadfastly refusing to acknowledge any decisions that went against said team.

• Having no superstition myself, I sometimes wonder how it works. For instance:

Sunderland:
    4 fans forgot to wear lucky socks
    2315 made over confident remarks on their forum
    Red and white stripe curse

Wycombe:
    @bluntphil accidentally washes his lucky shirt
    GA wins manager of the month
    56 fans see black cats cross their paths

Who wins?

• @Malone said:
    It's one of those claims that people only wheel out when someone wins it then loses straight away. Stubbornly ignoring the times it doesn't happen.

Classic fandom really. Swearing blind that xxx team gets all the decisions, yet steadfastly refusing to acknowledge any decisions that went against said team.

The curse doesn't exist... but the team managed by the Manager of the Month does normally do worse in the following month than they did in the month for the period of the award.

• Didn’t they say it was awarded last Friday? So that’s why we lost last Sunday. Punishment served, Curse lifted...

• It's the same as the 'new manager bounce.' Doesn't exist.

• @Chris said:

@Malone said:
    It's one of those claims that people only wheel out when someone wins it then loses straight away. Stubbornly ignoring the times it doesn't happen.

The curse doesn't exist... but the team managed by the Manager of the Month does normally do worse in the following month than they did in the month for the period of the award.

But this is surely just because statistically it’s very unlikely any team will sustain MoTM form consistently

• @Shev said:
    Having no superstition myself, I sometimes wonder how it works. For instance:

Sunderland:
    4 fans forgot to wear lucky socks
    2315 made over confident remarks on their forum
    Red and white stripe curse

Wycombe:
    @bluntphil accidentally washes his lucky shirt
    GA wins manager of the month
    56 fans see black cats cross their paths

Who wins?

By literally calling themselves the black cats they have shaken things up a bit here. Are they trying to reclaim the word, and consequently the luck?

• Are they called the Black Cats because they feel lucky to be living in Sunderland?

• I will not be washing the shirt. However, after 14 games wear, Wembley could be justified in making me buy a ticket for it.

• @bluntphil if your anything like me, my unwashed lucky Wycombe shirt gets pulled out the car boot on arrival at the stadium then whipped back off again before the drive home to make the drive a little more pleasant.

Apologies in advance to anyone sat near me, just remember it’s ‘luck’ you can smell, not a grubby middle aged man.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@Chris said:

@Malone said:

But this is surely just because statistically it’s very unlikely any team will sustain MoTM form consistently

Exactly, the manager will have received MotM because their team will have won all or nearly all of their games that month, so next month even good but unexceptional results would look like a downturn. Regression towards the mean.

• There is no suggestion that the MotM award itself has any impact on results.

• @bluntphil said:
    I will not be washing the shirt. However, after 14 games wear, Wembley could be justified in making me buy a ticket for it.

If we win, you may end up with the first non-playing shirt to have a retirement ceremony.

Little Chairboy, year 2054: "Dad, why do Wycombe display a Hawaiian shirt next to the Champions League trophy?"

(Dad gets misty eyed and chokes up at the memories)

• Stop it @Shev. You'll make a grown man cry ...

• @Chris said:
    There is no suggestion that the MotM award itself has any impact on results.

New manager bounce would make some sense, if the chairman didn't think it needed a different set of eyes and a new voice they wouldn't have sacked the old manager.

• Curse of manager of the month cancelled by the 6th place hoodoo