Sunderland 8/5, Sheff W 7/4, Draw 23/10

To Gain Promotion

Entitled Owls 15/8
Fake Plastic Franchise 5/2
Entitled Black Cats 11/4
Rent-a-Thugs with Poundland Manager 7/2

Comments

• We’re not ruled out then.

• Believe we were 7/1 last time round... How did that turn out again?

• Seems that playoff rival fans who were confident we would be nowhere near the play-offs are confident we will not get to Wembley and if we did they are confident we would be found out on a wider pitch with better officials. They are also confident we will get nowhere near the playoffs next season (in L1) either with the likes of Plymouth, Derby and whichever big team loses the playoffs

• Keep us as the outsiders.
    Suits us massively

It's when we're the big favourites it's time to worry.

• We just moved from 4/1 to 15/8 to win the playoffs. Equal favourites with Wednesday!

• I'm really hoping for a Sheff Weds vs Wycombe final. It would be an amazing atmosphere at Wembley, mainly because there is a mutual respect between the two sets of fans after they were promoted all those years ago. Would be a carnival atmosphere. I'd hope that would continue whoever won after the match.
    I'd really like to avoid Sunderland, can you imagine how miserable they'd be even before a ball was kicked...mind you Scowen smashing in the winner and celebrating with Luke O'Nien is going to be brilliant!

• @Commoner said:
    I'm really hoping for a Sheff Weds vs Wycombe final. It would be an amazing atmosphere at Wembley, mainly because there is a mutual respect between the two sets of fans after they were promoted all those years ago. Would be a carnival atmosphere. I'd hope that would continue whoever won after the match.
    I'd really like to avoid Sunderland, can you imagine how miserable they'd be even before a ball was kicked...mind you Scowen smashing in the winner and celebrating with Luke O'Nien is going to be brilliant!

Ask my mate how much "respect" there was from Sheff Wed fans he encountered after we'd beaten them the other week :D

The dream scenario is batter MK, and then beat Sunderland in the final.
    There really couldn't be a better way to go up.

However, we're only 1/3rd of the way there and only 1/2 through this tie.
    We only have to remember MK battering Plymouth at home last week to stop us getting too giddy.

• Makes you realise just what a superb job we did on Twine last night - his only shot on target was that long-rage free kick that went straight into Stocko's arms.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Makes you realise just what a superb job we did on Twine last night - his only shot on target was that long-rage free kick that went straight into Stocko's arms.

*Franchise's only shot on target

• 2nd Leg match on Sunday (90 mins play only)

MK 23/20, WW 23/10, Draw 5/2

To qualify for final (inc. ET and penalties)

Poundland Captain Jack Sparrow's Bully Boys 1/8
    Real Madrid Wannabes 5/1

• Does that make us favourites? [I’ll never get to grips with odds]

• Yes.

For Sunday's game, MK are slight favourites.

A £20 bet on MK would return £46 (£23 winnings + the £20 stake returned)
    A £20 bet on WW would return £66 in total
    A £20 bet on the draw would return £70.

In the 'to qualify' market, a £20 bet on WW would return £22.50, whereas a £20 bet on MK would return £120.

This is because there are more scenarios in which WW go through - a win, a draw, or a loss by 1 goal means we qualify, plus we may also win in ET or on penalties, MK have to win by 3 goals, or by 2 goals and then get through in ET or penalties.

• @bargepole said
    A £20 bet on MK would return £46 (£23 winnings + the £20 stake returned)

Are they using the DCFC rules of accounting whereby £23 +£20 = £46? ??

• Oops. Should be £43 of course.

• Every time I see Jeff Stelling, or Robbie Savage, or Chris Kamara or any of those awful people advertising some betting company, I can't help but wonder what kind of person you have to be to take money to advertise something that destroys people's lives when you're already a millionaire. You've got to be a sociopath surely.

• Even more baffling when those ads featured former gambling addict Paul Merson

• edited May 2022

@drcongo said:
    Every time I see Jeff Stelling, or Robbie Savage, or Chris Kamara or any of those awful people advertising some betting company, I can't help but wonder what kind of person you have to be to take money to advertise something that destroys people's lives when you're already a millionaire. You've got to be a sociopath surely.

I'm 100% anti betting, so do agree.

But do you think the same with alcohol sponsorships etc? That's got to be far worse.

• @Malone said:

@drcongo said:
    Every time I see Jeff Stelling, or Robbie Savage, or Chris Kamara or any of those awful people advertising some betting company, I can't help but wonder what kind of person you have to be to take money to advertise something that destroys people's lives when you're already a millionaire. You've got to be a sociopath surely.

I'm 100% anti betting, so do agree.

But do you think the same with alcohol sponsorships etc? That's got to be far worse.

Yeah, I do, it's much rarer to see a celeb endorsement of booze though. All advertising is a plague on a spectrum, gambling is right at the hot red end of that spectrum for me.

Despite what people who depend on advertising revenue will tell you, advertising is not about brand recognition, or brand affinity - it's about selling shit to people that they didn't know they wanted, and probably don't need. Adverts are aspirational - because what you're actually selling first, ahead of the product, is the lifestyle, making the public think "I'd like to be like that guy driving his Jaguar round those mountain bends without a care in the world", and most of the people watching that advert can't afford the Jag, so it has a negative effect on their mental wellbeing. Even the blandest ads are an insidious stain.

In Sao Paolo, ads are banned in public spaces. Nothing on the ends of bus stops, no Piccadilly Circus / Times Square, nothing even on the side of trucks. It's beautiful.

• Adverts for betting companies should be banned in the same way they are for tobacco/cigarette companies.

Ditto sponsorship of competitions and teams.

• My bro had money at 10/1 on a "Vokes anytime headed goal" in the first leg.
    Would be interesting to see what those odds are in the 2nd leg!

• Feck the odds. If we play for most of the game like we did for an hour on Thursday, I certainly can’t see us losing. The comment, made at least a couple of times on here, suggesting that the first leg was men against boys seemed particularly apposite.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    My bro had money at 10/1 on a "Vokes anytime headed goal" in the first leg.
    Would be interesting to see what those odds are in the 2nd leg!

I don’t bet, never have, but just so happened to have seen only moments ago that SkyBet are offering 9/1.

As someone said before the first game; free money.

• Last time out in the second leg against Fleetwood I lost money on betting on Allsop to be booked but I’m willing to give it another go. 17/2 for Stockdale to get a card.

• Latest odds - to be promoted:

Wycombe 6/5
    Sunderland 6/4
    Sheffield W 11/4

• Is that saying we're favourites?

• yes, although that is likely to change upon the conclusion of this evening's game

• Indeed.

The fact that the odds are greater than one (6 divided by 5) shows that the odds say we will be underdogs for the final - in part because they will be expecting the supporters of the bigger club opponents to lump onto their team and in part perhaps on merit.

End of the day it will be a match between two roughly equal teams that could go either way. The odds are irrelevant.

• For those who like @drcongo are anti-betting, the bookies are allocating the following probabilities according to those odds:

Wycombe 45%
    Sunderland 40%
    Sheff W 27%

Those add up to 112%, and the extra 12%, known as the 'over round' is why, in the long term, the bookies always win.

Messrs Stelling, Savage and Kamara get paid a hell of a lot more for doing those adverts than they earn from any football punditry.