Skip to content

Sheff Wed v Sunderland

Between these clubs there are 10 League titles, 5 FA Cups, 1 League Cup. Surely never been so much historical silverware in a 3rd tier playoff?

Comments

• edited May 2022

Six of those titles came while the goalkeeper could still handle the ball to the halfway line, so really it's only four

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Six of those titles came while the goalkeeper could still handle the ball to the halfway line, so really it's only four

That’s extraordinary @ReturnToSenda. Even I don’t remember that.

• @micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

That’s extraordinary @ReturnToSenda. Even I don’t remember that.

I doubt many do - they changed the rule in 1912!

• Aah, I arrived on the scene a quarter of a century after that. I expect people were still moaning in ye olde hostelries about ‘such a ludicrous change in the rules’ for decades afterwards.

• And Sheffield Wednesday did not exist until the 20/21 season (20th century not 21st!). They were called The Wednesday.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

And of course only catch the ball not move with it, much like ‘the mark’ in rugby.