Skip to content

Reasons to be optimistic

How about a thread full of reasons to be optimistic ahead of Saturday. I'll start:

Only in 1 of the last 7 game weeks where they've all played have Plymouth, Sunderland and Sheffield Weds all won in the same week.

Comments

• Plymouth haven't won a 1230 ko all season

• edited April 2022

Last time we were away to a team with a yellow home shirt* and terracing on the final day, we won 3-0.

*Yes, I know they weren't wearing it then, but still

• Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth both drew with Portsmouth and Franchise in their respective reverse fixtures. (Don't ask about Sunderland v Morecambe.)

• We've got Gareth Ainsworth* and I wouldn't want anyone else in charge to make sure we do what we need to do give ourselves a chance.

*and Dobbo's number two

• Whatever happens we've had a better season than Oxford, Colchester, P'boro and Derby.

• The referee appointed for our match on Saturday is Robert Madley, who has refereed two Wycombe matches this season already: the draw away at Rotherham and the loss away at Accrington. This might be our turn for him to give us a win and balance things up.

• He did the Sunderland Rotherham game....they did not like him or his assistants. An added bonus

• LX1LX1
    edited April 2022

'three little birds' has just come on in the bistro I'm currently dining at.

• You in Marlow?

• Burton WANDERERS merged with Burton Swifts to form Burton Town, which in turn became Burton United that merged with Burton Albion. It’s a sign!

• The last and only time we beat Burton Albion away was in Mid October 2010.

Ainsworth scored our first and Matt Bloomfield won the free kick that produced our second. Both players were our only bookings.

Darren Moore the manager from our last game against Sheffield Wednesday played in the Burton team and was subbed off injured in the 17th minute, just after Ainsworth opened the scoring.

Our win was the first time Burton had been beaten at home that season.

We went on to be promoted that season on 80 points.

• We’ve got Gareth Ainsworth and Dobbo’s number two.
    We’re going to be beat Burton and that will see us through.

• Plymouth are yet to beat a top 6 side this season, and have an MK Dons side who have a brilliant record away from home against the top sides.

• We've got Gareth Ainsworth and Blooms is number three.
    We're gonna shake Plymouth out the playoff tree!

• It is possible that Wycombe could finish in the top six on Saturday even if they lose.

• Yes - If Plymouth lose by two goals more than we do we will pip them on goals scored (a 1-0 defeat for us and a 3-0 defeat for them both will result in a GD of 22 for both, but we will have scored more)

• We are a good side.

• It's early Friday morning and I have achieved a position of zen calm. If we fail to achieve play-offs I am good. We have exceeded my expectations and had a blast. I will have fond memories of this season and hope to see more of the same next season. We are growing as a club and we have proved we were not a one season wonder.
    If we are 2 up tomorrow with 89 minutes on the clock and results going our way I will be deep in a series of protracted panic attacks.

• That's spot on @TheAndyGrahamFanClub. If we win tomorrow we'll have 83 points. It'll be very hard to be angry if we don't make the top 6 with that total.

FWIW I've thought for the last month or so that more than 81 will be enough. I still think that's the case - win tomorrow and one of the other results will go our way.

• Are we all taking to twirling our scarfs tomorrow as did our Spanish friends last Saturday. I thought that was great to see and certainly created an upbeat to the atmosphere. Ps. Getting a bit excited now.

• Scarf twirling class need to be available on-line.

• A play off battle to the last day is a good result already.

But we're so close to extending the season, and for every reason it'll be superb to do that.
    Not least for Bayo, to give him that proper send off. Imagine another Wembley win to retire on.
    Though he'll do well to out do that incredible speech at the last one :D

• I’m digging out a scarf for twirling.

I too will be at peace with things if we don’t make the cut tomorrow, but the 5-5 v Cheltenham will remain lodged in my head as the ‘Scott Barrett’ moment of the season.

I’m willing to bet I know someone who will be popping in to post if we don’t make it - his username rhymes with ‘pile of poo’, which is apt considering the ? he posts.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Scarf twirling class need to be available on-line.

Ask and you shall receive:

• What a season! I've got every confidence that lady luck and a hatful of goals at Burton will smile upon us. And agree @arnos_grove given the great results we got when we least expected it...the draws against the Shrews and the 'Nam will hopefully not be the defining results of the season!

• @therabbittest said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    Scarf twirling class need to be available on-line.

Ask and you shall receive:

I’ll knock them over, you head them in!

• I'd just like to say before tomorrow, that I think we've been fantastic this season no matter where we end up in the table. Win or lose, promoted or not, we have a fine team with a bunch of very likeable players who I couldn't be prouder of ! It's a great time to be a Blue, come on you Wanderers !!

• 22 hours and counting.

• Can’t sleep I’m so excited. Car keys on top of wallet, with ticket inside, so I don’t forget it?

• Tickets on top of scarves…ready for the early start