Skip to content

Huge Scottish match tonight

If anyone is interested there’s a very big match in the Scottish Championship tonight. I raise this because it reminds me of Wycombe playing the likes of Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich & Portsmouth.

It’s basically a title showdown between Kilmarnock & Arbroath at Rugby Park. You can watch it live on Sky ch 194 or on the internet via BBC Scotland. Kilmarnock lead Arbroath by a single point in the battle to get to the Scottish Premiership. Arbroath is a small town on the east coast, comparable in size to Chesham. The ground is right next to the North Sea but their rise up the Scottish pyramid has been achieved by part-time players. It’s quite a story but it will be played out tonight with Kilmarnock the favourites. But you never know in football.

Comments

• Come on Arbroath!!!

• This could be the first time I've ever wanted to watch a Scottish football match.

• If Kilmarnock win they can't be caught with one game left, a draw or win for Arbroath would take the title to the last game.

In the Scottish Championship only the title winners go up automatically and then you have the play-offs, with a Premiership team included in the Final.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_Scottish_Premiership#Premiership_play-offs

• Watch it on iPlayer.

• Managed by a 69 year old Dick Campbell with his twin brother as assistant. Very funny interview on Radio4 this morning.
    Come on The Smokies!

• Scottish football... er, no thanks

• Early goal on the break for the Smokies, Stephen McGinn playing for Killie.

• I'm enjoying the lens flare. It's like football directed by JJ Abrams.

• Got to admit, that's a hell of a finish.

• Full-time: Kilmarnock 2 Arbroath 1 so Kilmarnock win the league. Brilliant game. The match turned on the introduction of former Birmingham, Forest & Rangers winger Chris Burke. His extra touch of quality with crosses helped unlock the Arbroath defence. Let’s hope Arbroath win the play-offs but that was a wonderful advert for Scottish football.

• If you enjoyed the Kilmarnock game & want to know a bit more about some of the clubs in Scotland try watching “footy adventures” on YouTube. Sam North does a good job visiting both SPFL & Non-League clubs across the country.

• What is not a wonderful advert for Scottish football is Killie's terrible plastic pitch being back in the top flight.

• That is the worst thing about Scottish football, the increase on financial reliance of these awful plastic pictures.
    All the myth and bullshit that goes along with these plastic monostrosities, it is simply a fake diluted version of the beautiful game, on these surfaces.

• @A_Worboys said:
    If anyone is interested there’s a very big match in the Scottish Championship tonight. I raise this because it reminds me of Wycombe playing the likes of Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich & Portsmouth.

It’s basically a title showdown between Kilmarnock & Arbroath at Rugby Park. You can watch it live on Sky ch 194 or on the internet via BBC Scotland. Kilmarnock lead Arbroath by a single point in the battle to get to the Scottish Premiership. Arbroath is a small town on the east coast, comparable in size to Chesham. The ground is right next to the North Sea but their rise up the Scottish pyramid has been achieved by part-time players. It’s quite a story but it will be played out tonight with Kilmarnock the favourites. But you never know in football.

You forgot to mention their famous Smokies!

• Slightly tenuous Arbroath connection, Rab Douglas is their GK coach, he spent a pre-season with us IIRC.

• Rab Douglas played a number of league games for us under Paul Lambert.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Rab Douglas played a number of league games for us under Paul Lambert.

Thanks Chas, no memories of that at all. Although there were a couple of season when it felt like we had a different keeper every few games.

• Seem to remember he was pretty awful. Definitely didn’t look fit when he arrived.