Skip to content

Risborough Rangers can win title this evening

2»

Comments

• Doesn't seem unreasonable on their part if everything is booked in and funded however I'm not sure what impact they expect Robbie Savage and the BFP to have

• Seems a really raw deal when teams further up the pyramid can get a year or sometimes more to comply to ground regulations.

• In a similar vein, Welwyn Garden City have had to forfeit their place in the Southern League Division One Central play-offs as their ground doesn’t come up to Southern League Premier Division standards.

WGC’s place in this Tuesday’s semi-final at Berkhamsted is now taken by Oxfordshire side North Leigh (who finished 6th). If Berkhamsted win they will host the final on May Bank Holiday Monday. If North Leigh win they will travel to the winners of the other semi-final - AFC Dunstable or Ware.

• Didn't Stevenage Borough win the Conference at a canter a few times in the olden days but could not secure promotion for similar reasons?

• @Wendoverman I think you’re correct from memory. A meteoric rise on the pitch has to be balanced by improvements off it. It’s a tricky balance between the two but if it wasn’t enforced there’d be plenty of clubs who would take advantage.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Didn't Stevenage Borough win the Conference at a canter a few times in the olden days but could not secure promotion for similar reasons?

Didn't that save Northampton?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Didn't Stevenage Borough win the Conference at a canter a few times in the olden days but could not secure promotion for similar reasons?

The conference winners for the next few seasons after us weren’t allowed promotion.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Doesn't seem unreasonable on their part if everything is booked in and funded however I'm not sure what impact they expect Robbie Savage and the BFP to have

Robbie Savage is part of the consortium that has resurrected Macclesfield, so I'd imagine that he is very passionate about non-league football, and probably has some contacts at the FA from his journey into club ownership.

When I played for Holmer Green, we had the same issue as Risborough. So close season, a handful of us turned up every Saturday and Sunday (come rain or shine) to build a stand behind the goal that allowed us to be promoted. What a group of people that club had back then.